Pummi

Right off the assembly line
Hello everyone,

I have a good configuration pc but it still not performing well as should be. Here are the details of my pc:

MotherBoard: Gigabyte X99 UD4
Processor: Intel i7 5960x (5th gen.)
RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB x 2
PSU: Cooler Master G500 RS-500-ACAA-B1 (newer version)
GPU: MSI R7-265
SSD: Kingston sv300s37a/120g

Whenever I start any download or open any design tool my pc start lagging massively. I have checked the usage and even after that massive lagging it doesn't go beyond 35% and RAM even less than half.

Please suggest what to do.

Thanks.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello everyone,

I have a good configuration pc but it still not performing well as should be. Here are the details of my pc:

MotherBoard: Gigabyte X99 UD4
Processor: Intel i7 5960x (5th gen.)
RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB x 2
PSU: Cooler Master G500 RS-500-ACAA-B1 (newer version)
GPU: MSI R7-265
SSD: Kingston sv300s37a/120g

Whenever I start any download or open any design tool my pc start lagging massively. I have checked the usage and even after that massive lagging it doesn't go beyond 35% and RAM even less than half.

Please suggest what to do.

Thanks.

Check you SSD's health condition. Scan you pc for with a good anti virus. look for what process is causing higher hdd uasge \( you can get the same from task manager ).

If possible post couple of screenshots of the task manager.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pummi

Check you SSD's heals condition. Scan you pc for with a good anti virus. look for what process is causing higher hdd uasge \( you can get the same from task manager ).

If possible post couple of screenshots of the task manager.

Thanks topgear,

What is "SSD's heal condition"? I tried googling for it but could not find anything.

Also here are the screenshots you asked for. Here I am downloading a video from youtube.
I also scanned my drives for viruses using ESET Nod32 antivirus and also scanned for bad sectors, they both came clean.

In my last post I forgot to mention:
HDD: WD 1TB
Windows: 64bit.

Thanks

Attachments

• SkpbV0t.png
    SkpbV0t.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 248
  • UUQTvMx.png
    UUQTvMx.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry but I meant so say SSD Health Condition- anyway, check your ssd with softwares like ssd life or your manufacturer utility for that :

SSD Toolbox Download – Sandforce-Based SSD | Kingston
SSD Manager

Do the same for your HDD and check the HDD for bad sectors using your HDD manufacturer diagnostic tool and perform long test.

At last, be more specific about " lagging " - what kind of system / application behavior you are referring as " lagging " ?

OP
P

Pummi

Sorry but I meant so say SSD Health Condition- anyway, check your ssd with softwares like ssd life or your manufacturer utility for that :

SSD Toolbox Download – Sandforce-Based SSD | Kingston
SSD Manager

Do the same for your HDD and check the HDD for bad sectors using your HDD manufacturer diagnostic tool and perform long test.

At last, be more specific about " lagging " - what kind of system / application behavior you are referring as " lagging " ?

Hi,

This is what I meant by "lagging". There are lot many other then this, like if I run firefox and chrome then I face this:

However, I have downloaded the tools and will come back with the results.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
P

Pummi

Here are the SSD results.

Attachments

• SSD.txt
    12 KB · Views: 257
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 243

ULTRON 17

Broken In
Use Crystal Disk Info or HDD Tune pro software to check both Ssd and Hdd health.
Maybe some drivers issue regarding software or windows drivers.

OP
P

Pummi

Use Crystal Disk Info or HDD Tune pro software to check both Ssd and Hdd health.
Maybe some drivers issue regarding software or windows drivers.

Thanks ULTRON 17,

Currently I am using the WD's diagnostics tool because my HDD is WD made. But, I'll try your suggestions as well.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Open task manager in admin mode and check which process is using too much cpu, memory or disk. Post the screen shot of details tab as well.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Some more thoughts,

Temporarily disconnect your HDD (I assume your OS is on SSD) and operate and examine the performance. If it improves, you may have something wrong with the HDD interface. If it does not problem is elsewhere.

Windows 10 might be downloading updates in the background slowing down your PC. Try to set WiFi and Ethernet as Metered connections to prevent Windows 10 from auto downloading updates. It's not easy to set Ethernet as Metered, there's a registry hack for that (Search Google for the same)

Check what is the size of your page file (if it's system managed otherwise) with 16 GB RAM that you have set it to hardly 1 GB max.

Check how much free space is left on your system drive on which Win 10 is installed. Win 10 is notorious to occupy more and more disk space over time. If it's less that 10-20% try CCleaner app and try to regain more space by deleting cache, temp files etc. Disable Hibernate option, if it's enabled, it will create a huge 16GB hyberfil.sys file wasting space on your system drive.

A slightly complex task is to create free unallocated space at least 25 GB on your SSD and try to install some latest Linux 64 distro on it. Be careful if you have MBR or GPT partition scheme and proceed accordingly. Install Linux boot loader in Linux partition and not on the Windows partition to be safe. If it's EFI you can create a new entry in bootloader list in UEFI Firmware and in case of MBR use EasyBCD app to configure boot options. Now check how is the system performance on Linux.

Among others, also check SMART parameter called CRC Errors on HDD & SSD, if it's high try to change the SATA cable or re-insert the same after straightening it. Use any free app like CrystalDiskInfo to monitor.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try Disabling High Precision Event Timer (HPET) :

Open CMD as Admin and type the this without the quotes " bcdedit /set useplatformclock false " and hit enter. Restart your pc.

Also make sure HPET is disabled in bios.

OP
P

Pummi

Thanks guys,

After disabling the HD i ran the system for about an hour and i did not face any issue. But, upon reconnecting the HD I changed the SATA slot and my system is running better since. However, I'll keep it on the test for a while, in case I face the issue again then i'll surly try your suggestions and also let you know.

Many many many thanks for your help.

Top Bottom