Go Beyond Vista – It's Time to Get a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
hmm...well in my eagerness I wrote dashboard also..yup it was a rip off of Konfabulator after all

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
kirangp said:
@aryayush

U tell about stability...IN MAC OS hardly there will be few applications available for a particular job & most created by Apple..But in Windows there will be hundreds & there in lies the problem...All these programs are not created by Microsoft..all r created by 3rd party developers with all registry entries,files & the more number of programs u have less is the performance

The available applications in mac do all the work you need and they do it in the best way. If you need any app, you can get it from the internet.

And dude tell me one thing...who will receive the most number of curses,hatemails for not playin well in cricket...will it be Virender Sehwag or some Ranji Player?? Obviously Sehwag...& that here is MS...The more the popular the more r the number of attacks in the form of viruses,exploits etc...And yeah even MACs r also gettin their share 2... hackers & virus writers dont have time for Mac where the usage is just 2-3 % of the market...They can utilize themselves better if they write it for Windows..They can spread the treachery better in Windows..I agree that Microsoft was a bit leniant on the security side 2 but still Apple also is & they only find out the vulnerabilities themselves & patch it up whereas MS are told by hackers about the vulnerabilities & after gettin screwed they patch it up..

yeah. I am famous. kill me.

Windows supporters are trying to escape from virus attack questions saying that windows is popular and hence the virus attacks. Windows security itself is so weak that it's easy to exploit vulns. mac on the other hand is based on FreeBSD Unix. Now, don't say that unix is not popular. It's just that hacking a unix host is extremely difficult and is a near impossible task.

And talkin about MAC updates....every 0.1 version revision Apple charges 129$.. from CHeetah,Puma,Jaguar,Tiger & the upcoming Leopard its the same story...ANd dont tell me that they offer value for money for all these upgrades...most of them will be just enhancements...And the best parts of Tiger that is Spotlight,Dashboard were rip offs of Alpha builds of Longhorn...So it comes nearly 400-500 dollars which is the same cost of Windows Vista & whatever new features we get,we wont be payin anything for that...

HAHA. what? copy from longhorn. this is the funniest comment I ever heard. Even Bill Gates will laugh and laugh if he hears this.

Hey, I think windows vista is free and what you are paying for is for the special "made-for-microsoft" apps called viruses, bugs, adware, spamware.....

To tell u the truth Microsoft is a victim of popularity of its own operating systems...By the time they release a new OS the previous OS wud have been adopted by users that they dont feel like upgrading to a new one..But they do upgrade...Now Windows Xp is defacto,but people were whinning that it didnt offer new noticeable features but people still upgraded..
And as everybody has said...PC upgradation which cant be done with MACS..Yes ys I know MAC systems look like angels but PC can be made to look like that...I have seen some beautiful lookin cabinets...

Oh yes. I totally agree with you. microsoft is a victim of it's own popularity. hahaha.

FYI, the size of latest mac desktop is the size of an LCD monitor that you see in PC world. How many such products have you seen? BTW, mac desktops/lappys are futureproof. They are already high end machines that have so much power in them. if you say mac mini, it's a budget PC from apple that costs just 35k and you can carry it anywhere you want to go.

So what i tell is if u like MACs gud for ya & I like Windows & wud not think of switching to MAC rite now..Windows is just gettin better...And I am with Remond based MS & support them whole heartedly

In the end also I am tellin that MS is also a pain in the arse but still Apple is not far ahead...But MS will catch it...

catch what? vista tried a lot to catch apple's tiger OS but still it's no where near Tiger.And with Leopard coming in few months, god save Vista. If I am correct, you are waiting for either SP1 or drivers for you video, audio, vista supported application, getting annoying "allow/deny" UAC warnings. Are you saying that with such a product, MS will catch Apple?

Apple is years ahead of microsoft because

1) They follow the rule "Innovative (forgot the original word here) software companies should design their own hardware"

2) APPLE ecosystem is based on simplicity, stability and beauty.

3) macboys don't get driver issues

4) macboys don't wait service packs. (MS users: SP1 is released, lets wait for SP2 as there are new bugs and compat. issues)

5) macboys does not depend on hundreds of companies to release their product updates for compatibility with newly released OS.

6) most importantly, macboys don't get the "BLUEDEATH" screen.

Last edited:
S

SE><IE

Man! do you seriously think UNIX like/based architecture is far more superior than Windows? Don't live in the dreams dude. I made a point somewhere
Make a badware for Windows and you get applause. Make one for *nix and teri maa ki, teri behan ki

No, I'm not a badware developer but you can always get opinion of some at security forums.

Viruses DO exist for *ix platform too and it has already been proved that even it is vulnerable. A software is made by humans and the developers of Apple's OS aren't God (sorry almighty for pulling you in this thread).

BTW, mac desktops/lappys are futureproof.
What exactly is futureproof? I you may please let me know. Do you mean going out and buying something you may never need and call it future proof?

They follow the rule "Great (forgot the original word here) software companies should design their own hardware"

I guess Linux developer force is doing a great Job by promoting freedom of choice in softwares. MS is doing the same for Hardware atleast. What about Apple? Freedom of choice is a birthright :p

True, you don't wait for service packs or don't have compatibility issues because Macs support handpicked hardware.

When you say "MS is evil" about the closed-source issue. Where does Apple stand then? Even their boxes are "sealed"

C'mon speak up.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
ya me too didnt understand the "Future Proof" part :D:D

for example, in PC's, take Intel's 965 series m/b, they support from P4 based to Core 2 Quad processors - now this is "Future Proof" :p.
so for more advanced & demanding Softwares (which may launch after 3-4 years), i can upgrade my Proccy. & go back to work:p

give an example for Mac:)

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
SE><IE said:
Man! do you seriously think UNIX like/based architecture is far more superior than Windows? Don't live in the dreams dude. I made a point somewhere

No, I'm not a badware developer but you can always get opinion of some at security forums.

Viruses DO exist for *ix platform too and it has already been proved that even it is vulnerable. A software is made by humans and the developers of Apple's OS aren't God (sorry almighty for pulling you in this thread).

Read the book "Design of unix operation system" by Bach and you will know why unix is far superior to windows in terms of security and stability

Hint: kernel mode and user mode operations.
What exactly is futureproof? I you may please let me know. Do you mean going out and buying something you may never need and call it future proof?

Futureproof in the sense any app released are tend to seamlessly work with existing hardware (not the microsoft way of seamlessly working with existing hardware) because apple has clear picture of where it should work and how it should work. Because in mac world, applications provided by mac are more than enough. If you need anything more, we have unix apps that can be installed on a mac. Being unix at heart, the applications, thought they look like cpu intensive consume much less resources due to superior job scheduling and processing done by the kernel and also due to the tight integration between hardware and software.

I guess Linux developer force is doing a great Job by promoting freedom of choice in softwares. MS is doing the same for Hardware atleast. What about Apple? Freedom of choice is a birthright :p

yes. If you want freedom use FSF's appliations on mac. If you want MS's softwares, port them using crossover or wine.

The more pro you are, the more apps you get

True, you don't wait for service packs or don't have compatibility issues because Macs support handpicked hardware.

When you say "MS is evil" about the closed-source issue. Where does Apple stand then? Even their boxes are "sealed"

C'mon speak up.

Who said that mac is closed source?

*www.download.com/2001-2003_4-0.html?tag=dir
*www.download.com/2001-2003_4-0.html?tag=dir

See the list of softwares available and now SPEAK UP

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I'm not against Mac but if Windows or Mac or anyone for that matter claims that their product is future proof than it just a bunch of baloney. But Mac's biggest drawback is their pricing...it is too expensive for the ordinary computing Indian to buy a Mac at their present pricing structure. But if they drop their prices to suit Indina market than there will be much more popular plus it will also give Windows a run for their money...hey maybe windows too would than have to drop the prices.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
s18000rpm said:
ya me too didnt understand the "Future Proof" part :D:D

for example, in PC's, take Intel's 965 series m/b, they support from P4 based to Core 2 Quad processors - now this is "Future Proof" :p.
so for more advanced & demanding Softwares (which may launch after 3-4 years), i can upgrade my Proccy. & go back to work:p

give an example for Mac:)

buying better hardware for every better software doesn't mean that it's future proof.

Getting new software run on existing hardware without a problem is future proof.

macboys are not changing hardware as much as PC boys do. Why? because of the power.

For example, take PS3. It's future proof. That doesn't mean that we can add more ram, change the processor. That means the potential that this product has makes it future proof.

Take macbook pro or mac pro, (except mini). They are beasts and are designed to work for years to come. The G4 cube is still a powerful machine. If you look at the specs, they seem to be similar to similar products in PCworld but they have more potential in them.
I'm not against Mac but if Windows or Mac or anyone for that matter claims that their product is future proof than it just a bunch of baloney. But Mac's biggest drawback is their pricing...it is too expensive for the ordinary computing Indian to buy a Mac at their present pricing structure. But if they drop their prices to suit Indina market than there will be much more popular plus it will also give Windows a run for their money...hey maybe windows too would than have to drop the prices.

PS3, nvidia G80, LG bluray/hd-dvd combo player, 802.11n. Aren't these future proof, these are technologies that are going to stay for years to come.

Some say that getting a motherboard that supports an insanely priced quad core processor is future proof and "even the hardware change is not necessary" does not mean anything.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
And Apple does not deal in extremely low end configurations.But if you want a good, stable machine for doing your stuff and can at least spend Rs. 50,000 and upwards, Macs are your best bet.

Ya right, most of the users here have already said, we can get the same performance in PC in just 40k, saving or profiting 10k

I wonder, if PC gaming sux according to Arya etc...then why is it that almighty Apple is doing everything, & even praising everyone to buy a Mac hardware & install Windows on it to play Games :D. Again it's proved that Mac & Apple needs PC & microsoft to survive. The switch to Intel CPU was because of this only so that they can get the software ports of Windows/Linux apps easily

It's been said so many times that MacOS X is stable only because of the fact that it runs on properity hardware. the config is sealed....

ambandla said:
HAHA. what? copy from longhorn. this is the funniest comment I ever heard. Even Bill Gates will laugh and laugh if he hears this.

Windows Desktop search, Database like file system (oh wait, it's not yet copied, but will be copied in Leoaprd :D), Gadgets (konfabulator here)....

ambandla said:
FYI, the size of latest mac desktop is the size of an LCD monitor that you see in PC world. How many such products have you seen? BTW, mac desktops/lappys are futureproof. They are already high end machines that have so much power in them. if you say mac mini, it's a budget PC from apple that costs just 35k and you can carry it anywhere you want to go.
Ya, u r right.....can u upgrade the CPU in that if u want after 1 or 2 years? No u cannot...not even the HDD & Macs are future proof , you cannot even install a Core 2 Quad in Mac, u cannot upgrade your graphics card in Mac.

Some say that getting a motherboard that supports an insanely priced quad core processor is future proof and "even the hardware change is not necessary" does not mean anything.

2 years down the line the Core 2 Quad QX6700 will be worth 12k only, we can upgrade to this CPU 2 years from now on our existing hardware bought today

About Mac mini, we can get a far more powerful PC then the power of Mac mini for 35k, with something much better then a GMA 950, even a Geforce 7300GT PCIe costs 4.5K
Apple is years ahead of microsoft because

1) They follow the rule "Innovative (forgot the original word here) software companies should design their own hardware"

2) APPLE ecosystem is based on simplicity, stability and beauty.

3) macboys don't get driver issues

4) macboys don't wait service packs. (MS users: SP1 is released, lets wait for SP2 as there are new bugs and compat. issues)

5) macboys does not depend on hundreds of companies to release their product updates for compatibility with newly released OS.

6) most importantly, macboys don't get the "BLUEDEATH" screen.

1) They opied the Kernal from BSD & gave nothing back
2) Which u cannot upgrade
3) Due to runing only limited set of hardware
4) Yeah, they don't. They pay $130 for it
5) Yup, cos nobady cares for Mac, the market is so small to develop for it
6) Yup, again due to reason 3 ^^^^
Futureproof in the sense any app released are tend to seamlessly work with existing hardware (not the microsoft way of seamlessly working with existing hardware)
I am runing Windows Vista ultimate fine with a WEI rating of 3.5 on my 3 years old PC, now this is what I call future proof, oh & this was handpicked too....by me
Hint: kernel mode and user mode operations
Vista
I am saying this publically, you have no knowledge of computing & technology

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
gx_saurav said:
I am saying this publically, you have no knowledge of computing & technology

haha. All hail the Einstein of computing and technology.

You better take lessons to decrease your insanely high superiority complexity. okay.

If you think that windows is greatest, keep thinking and you will never know what REAL Computing experience is.

Regular activities for windows user:

check for updates
antivirus check
spamware check
malware check
windows udpates check

open a webpage and get attacked by some virus.

While doing anything on the web, always make sure that you do not click on any pop-up, unintended programs.

Is this what you call "making life easy"?

use unix/linux/mac and you will know what REAL computing is.

FYI, Handpicking hardware is not computing knowledge.
Look at the top rated downloads for Windows. 90% are related to security. Windows is wasting so much of your time. How many here have used windows for years without reinstalling it after few weeks/months. Do you call this superior? Wake up buddy. Use your brain.

Don't think that apple products are expensive. Think why they are expensive. Dont' think microsoft is great due to it's market share. Think why you are still using it.

FYI, a PC user will always think of getting of a mac. but a mac user always sticks to mac.

Apple is one of the best companies that has high consumer trust.

99% of microsoft users curse microsoft's products.

Yes. profiting 10k and losing hours of time trying to keep it secure. What about the amount spent on antivirus,firewalls and other security products?

I wonder, if PC gaming sux according to Arya etc...then why is it that almighty Apple is doing everything, & even praising everyone to buy a Mac hardware & install Windows on it to play Games . Again it's proved that Mac & Apple needs PC & microsoft to survive. The switch to Intel CPU was because of this only so that they can get the software ports of Windows/Linux apps easily

Apple gave bootcame so that users can smoothly migrate to OS X from vista and not because it needs windows to survive. This strategy is resulting in decrease of Windows market share year by year. Check the maket shares now. Apple is eating 4-5% of windows market share each year for the past 2 years and the growth is increasing. Come on, realise now and get a mac and concentrate on your work (just your work)

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Re: Go Beyond Vista – It's Time to Get a Mac

ambandla said:
buying better hardware for every better software doesn't mean that it's future proof.

Getting new software run on existing hardware without a problem is future proof.
its not about just running the s/w, its about running them smoothly.

todays s/w & games work seamlessly on current config., but as time passes & "Technology Improves", newer s/w & games will "Need More Power" (RAM, procy....) to work better:wink:

macboys are not changing hardware as much as PC boys do. Why? because of the power.
& maybe coz they are "Insanely Priced":p & very less "Choice":p

dude:D what i said was if you want more fire power, then a C2Q is the Answer.
& about the "Insanely Price" of C2Q, in "Future" the prices will drop to more "affordable bracket" :wink::D as 8 core processors are under development:wink:

i can start with a P4 (which i already hav) & in few months get C2D & in some year(s) a C2Q:p & i dont need to buy a whole new system to get more power:))

same RAM (2GB), same m/b, same HDD, same Gfx. Card (8600gt) - except Processor:p = i can run all the bloody games of future:p (futre for gfx. card= min. 2yrs.)

i think you got my point:)

(about 8600gt, &2GB RAM, i'm gettin them in Q4 of 2007:p)

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
FYI, Apple is not leader in the laptop and desktop sales in amazon and is already ranked 3rd (correct me if i am wrong) in US branded PC/desktop market share.

todays s/w & games work seamlessly on current config., but as time passes & "Technology Improves", newer s/w & games will "Need More Power" (RAM, procy....) to work better:wink:

& maybe coz they are "Insanely Priced":p & very less "Choice":p

dude:D what i said was if you want more fire power, then a C2Q is the Answer.
& about the "Insanely Price" of C2Q, in "Future" the prices will drop to more "affordable bracket" :wink::D as 8 core processors are under development:wink:

i can start with a P4 (which i already hav) & in few months get C2D & in some year(s) a C2Q:p & i dont need to buy a whole new system to get more power:))

same s/w, same h/w config except Processor:p

i think you got my point:)

There is difference between upgrading hardware 'everynow and then' and complete change after few years. Price wise, they cost the same

Gaming is not the only area for PC functionality. It's share is tiny. Yes. Hardcore gamers will stick to handpicked hardware.

The majority of consumers buy a PC and wish to use that for few years without any need to upgrade. Am I wrong here? In such a case, isn't a mac great option coz it already has the best in town and there is no need to upgrade it for next few years.

Logging off now. cya tomorrow.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Technology news section which has again changed to Windows vs Mac thread, admins plz lock this thread. It was started by a macboy & see what they are doing here again & again.

S

SE><IE

See, I was right when I said every macfan says he doesn't play games or that games are a minor point.

For example, take PS3.
Don't bring consoles here, please. A console is dedicated for games and can survive because games are custom built for them. PS3 is hot off the stove, right? See how Bioshock and Crysis beat the living crap outta it.

Okey, now most people just use computers for normal usage as you say. Whats the use of buying a high-en-future-proof-mac then? Even a celeron can help with normal office applications. Remember the 12,500 bucks PCs by HCL? Even they can hold their stand for "basic usage".
That was if you have a "normal usage". Now, in case you (in generic sense) use resource demanding softwares then you get choice (Hasta-la-vista,baby)
with PCs to make a tailor made beast. Whoever says handpicking isn't a smart (read intelligent) person's cup of tea(or coffee, whichever you prefer) must understand that no-one can offer you the optimal hardware solution except yourself.

The majority of consumers buy a PC and wish to use that for few years without any need to upgrade. Am I wrong here?
Are you trying to point at PC users specifically or the people newly introduced to computers?

Yes. profiting 10k and losing hours of time trying to keep it secure. What about the amount spent on antivirus,firewalls and other security products?
I guess the isolation factor being discussed is between Mac and non-mac users. Not between Windows and Mac users. Your point works for PC owners as well, those on Linux, you know.
In any case, getting some patches is better than remaining isolated from the world just because you are safe that way.

edit: LOL, I forgot its in news section. But that another thread gives me shivers. 2 poeple banned WTF!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
the forum is ruled by macboys now, arya was not banned for what he did, for his personal comments, but i was banned

OP
Third Eye

Third Eye

gooby pls
What? I am not a macboy,i even don't know much about mac...

mods please lock this thread for god sake..

Last edited:
S

SE><IE

LOL. You got crushed in chakki. :p chill yaar, he may have had some misconception :D

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gx_saurav said:
the forum is ruled by macboys now, arya was not banned for what he did, for his personal comments, but i was banned

Please do not spread false information. Both you and aryaayush were miserabled for three days. If you have any problems with any mod's or admin's decision, then you have to sort it out via PM.

Normally, I have quit posting in such threads. But, for your information, OS 7 or OS 8 had something called as 'Desktop Accessories'.

From there was born the idea of desktop widgets. Konfabulator was nothing but an improvement of that idea.

Please do verify facts before posting your views.

If any one wants to continue talking sense, and about the topic, then I will re-open this thread. I'm closing it on the request of the thread starter i.e. tech_mastermind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom