Go Beyond Vista – It's Time to Get a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
First hand? Original branded laptop?
*www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-A135-S2276-Widescreen-SuperMulti/dp/B000M8YU60
I didn't buy it from amazon though (got it in a deal ;) )
it doesn't matter though, the thing is there is an option for something cheap.
Having said that I will love a mac (since it has unix and hence zsh in 'core'), only if I could it install mac on this..

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
tech_your_future said:
desktop cube is in mac?
Yes, it is. I am surprised you did not know that.
However, you cannot drag something from one side of the cube to the other... yet.
it doesn't matter though, the thing is there is an option for something cheap.
Having said that I will love a mac (since it has unix and hence zsh in 'core'), only if I could it install mac on this..
Please answer these three questions:
1. Is it a first hand product?
2. Is it original and branded?
3. Which version of Vista was pre-installed? And was it legit?

Last edited:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
aryayush said:
First hand? Original branded laptop? :eek:

Must be Vista Home Basic.

Post the company and specs.

Could be. Laptops comes way cheaper in the US and Vista Home Basic can be preinstalled by the company, the cost is peanuts.

A friend of mine is an assembler in UK, using the OEM license hes been getting Vista Home Premium for 65 pounds per license.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Vista home premium is about $100 & Ultimae edition is about $140, both OEM

Macs are just overprices PCs, it's been proved so many times....yet the mac users act blind

borg

In the zone
desktop cube is in mac?

Yes, the effect where, the screen revolves as though it were a part of a cube, when a switch user is done. I think it appeared in Tiger...or maybe Panther. hmmm...Not sure though.

Macs are just overprices PCs

True, there was a time when Macs were vastly different from PCs. They had a different processor architecture, different I/O (Macs used ADB, while PCs had PS/2). But today, Macs are nothing but PCs (technically speaking). Ofcourse they are very well made PCs, but PCs none the less.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Macs are just overprices PCs, it's been proved so many times....yet the mac users act blind
Yada yada yada... *us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/76.gif

Shirt front
Back

Last edited:
S

SE><IE

There's one thing that makes apple products really "different". You don't have any hardware customization options, neither are there any upgrade options. Its like buying a phone- you want bigger screen then you will be smashed a faster processor in the face. Too bad if you are an enthusiastic.

Choosing a "unique" hardware configuration which is tailor made for you is a bliss. See, even PCs suffer from this phenomenon- people who are comfortable with computers like to get an assembled PC rather than a "company made". Heck if this was possible with laptops then I would have custom built one right now.

See, Macs really make you different, and isolated too. You have a Gamma value of 1.8 when the world follows 2.2, you use either a single button mouse or a 4 button mouse (As if first people used to press mouse button with palm and now they have learnt to use all 4 fingers. The thumb is still missing though :p)

You get no games for Macs and when you ask a Mac user how he/she can remain without games they have one common reply- I don't play much of the games.

Oh yeah! did I mention the Macs read different file system for optical discs (Why on earth do we have HFS then?)
Man! (or should there be a "c" ?) this is living in isolation. Get out of the well and look around. There's life beyond Apple.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Another troll.

SE><IE said:
You have a Gamma value of 1.8 when the world follows 2.2
It requires just four clicks from the desktop to change that to 2.2.

SE><IE said:
you use either a single button mouse or a 4 button mouse (As if first people used to press mouse button with palm and now they have learnt to use all 4 fingers. The thumb is still missing though :p)
First of all, you can use any mouse from any company with any number of buttons with a Mac. Second, there are five buttons on the Mighty Mouse because the scroll ball is clickable too. Your thumb is already being used for the push button on the left side of the body. There have been two button mice in between too.

SE><IE said:
You get no games for Macs and when you ask a Mac user how he/she can remain without games they have one common reply- I don't play much of the games.
Yes, that would be my reply because I never played games when I was on Windows too.
But there are many avid gamers among Mac users. Most of them will tell you about how easily they can install Windows and use that for gaming purposes. Plus, any gamer worth the salt does not game on a PC. They buy a console.

SE><IE said:
Oh yeah! did I mention the Macs read different file system for optical discs (Why on earth do we have HFS then?)
Yes, you did and it would have been better if you hadn't. Just in case you did not know, Macs read HFS discs just fine.

SE><IE said:
Man! (or should there be a "c" ?) this is living in isolation. Get out of the well and look around.
Yeah, all Mac users are damsels in distress, suffering in a hell-hole of isolation and waiting for a gallant PC user (with his hand picked and assembled machine) like yourself to rescue us from our pathetic state.

Thanks, but no thanks!

Last edited:
S

SE><IE

You know aryayush, I'm not against any Mac user for the matter. But I couldn't resist posting that thing. Regarding the gamma thing. Why does Apple make all Macs with 1.8 and then advice them to change to 2.2? Why not set it to 2.2 from factory itself?

See, I said "most common reply" is "I don't/Rarely play games". Well, nothing personal dude.

But there are many avid gamers among Mac users. Most of them will tell you about how easily they can install Windows and use that for gaming purposes.
Are you trying to cut your own point? Why would you install a "cheap piece of crap" when you can do anything on an Apple OS? Or do you mean Apple's OSes are no match for the "common peoples' OS"?

Plus, any gamer worth the salt does not game on a PC.
Oh really? Try playing any strategy game on a console :D

One more point, there are many things that say "Mac compatible" right?
Does it mean they were originally built keeping PC users in mind?

oh yeah! regarding that H(ybrid)FS, the name itself says its a file system so that both Mac and PC users can use the disc. If Apple decided to make PC disks readable then many a MBs would have been saved. Apple fans don't run away from this, even Linux uses the same file system for optical discs. Thats called society. Oh! sorry, ma bad, I just forgot Apple is "different"

PS: I'm not fighting over. If it were so then I would have very well posted in Fight-Club section. Just some drawbacks of owning a Mac that I felt like spilling here.

PSS:
Another troll.
Could have acted mature *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
In your five points, I only found two points that can be considered drawbacks - that of games and self-assembling. Apart from that, just look at your points: the mouse has four buttons, the gamma is set at 1.8 by default and that Macs have a proprietary format for optical disks (but are also fully compatible with other industry formats). I am sorry if I found your post lacking in any solid points.

Now, as for games:
SE><IE said:
Are you trying to cut your own point? Why would you install a "cheap piece of crap" when you can do anything on an Apple OS? Or do you mean Apple's OSes are no match for the "common peoples' OS"?
This is called twisted logic. Windows is better than Mac OS X for gaming. OK, point noted. Now, if you want to rub this in, you are quite welcome to do so.
What I meant to say, however, is that since you can install Windows pretty easily on a Mac now, this point is essentially mute now. You want games, you install Windows and boot into it when you want to play games. Simple.
Now, please do not give me the logic that 'agar Windows hi install karna hai, to Mac par paisa kyun waste karo'. You do not buy a computer only for gaming, and Macs are better than Windows at pretty much everything else.

As for self assembly. Why do you wish to self assemble a machine? so that you can put together the best parts and make yourself a fully compatible machine that is stable and does not hang or crash, right?
Now, why do you buy a Mac? To run Mac OS X, right? Which organisation/company/person knows best about Mac OS X? Apple, Inc. and their hardware and software engineers who work together to produce systems that are well integrated and rock solid. So, why do you need to self assemble it?
One of the MAJOR problems with Windows is that users assemble their machines themselves and Windows takes an issue with some part of the machine or the other.
Apple is the only company that can circumvent this and bring you true easy of use and out-of-the-box functionality. And they are successfully doing so. they are selling you not just the hardware and software, but a unique experience, which is better than your PC experience.

You say choosing your own hardware configuration is "bliss", I say it is a pain in the neck. Maybe we are just a little different. Then again, Apple is for those who "think different", so that is not much of a surprise.

I am sorry if calling you a troll hurt you, but you posted some truly insane points in that post.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
SE><IE said:
Choosing a "unique" hardware configuration which is tailor made for you is a bliss. See, even PCs suffer from this phenomenon- people who are comfortable with computers like to get an assembled PC rather than a "company made". Heck if this was possible with laptops then I would have custom built one right now.

Actully, there are VBI based laptops available from various manufacturers. They are barebone laptops & you can customize the parts in it. We PC users can buy whatever & use whatever....but not the case with Mac users. They have to make sure it is "Mac compatible"

arya said:
Yada yada yada... *us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/76.gif

What was the cost of the Macbook pro in that other thread by nagarjun? 1.06 lakh, ya....thats toooooo cheap

Se><ie said:
You have a Gamma value of 1.8 when the world follows 2.2
True :) even I don't understand this

arya said:
Yes, that would be my reply because I never played games when I was on Windows too.
But there are many avid gamers among Mac users. Most of them will tell you about how easily they can install Windows and use that for gaming purposes. Plus, any gamer worth the salt does not game on a PC. They buy a console.

:ROFL, what about all the PowerPC users boy, it was Intel which saved Apple's Ass, Apple knows they need Windos to survive, yet they downplay there lifeline.

If MacOS X is soooooo good, why install Windows to play games on it. About consols well....there are already numuras discussions on the gamers section regarding "PC vs Console". Read that

se><ie said:
Oh really? Try playing any strategy game on a console :grin:
Nailed on the head man :D

arya said:
As for self assembly. Why do you wish to self assemble a machine? so that you can put together the best parts and make yourself a fully compatible machine that is stable and does not hang or crash, right?
Now, why do you buy a Mac? To run Mac OS X, right? Which organisation/company/person knows best about Mac OS X? Apple, Inc. and their hardware and software engineers who work together to produce systems that are well integrated and rock solid. So, why do you need to self assemble it?
One of the MAJOR problems with Windows is that users assemble their machines themselves and Windows takes an issue with some part of the machine or the other.
Apple is the only company that can circumvent this and bring you true easy of use and out-of-the-box functionality. And they are successfully doing so. they are selling you not just the hardware and software, but a unique experience, which is better than your PC experience.

Any sane computer user will laugh at u, atleast half of the forum is. Hack we even upgrade or replace components ourselves in HCL,HP,Dell here in india :D, it's sooooo easy to upgrade.

Tell me, what can you upgrade yourself in a Mac :), other then RAM

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
gx_saurav said:
Actully, there are VBI based laptops available from various manufacturers. They are barebone laptops & you can customize the parts in it. We PC users can buy whatever & use whatever

Can you tell us more about this? In another thread? I'd be grateful. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^^^ I am sorry, i won't be able to cos i m leaving home now. Start a thread in Hardware section & Sourabh will be able to help you with this.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Re: Go Beyond Vista – It's Time to Get a Mac

@Arya when you talk about games (pc vs. consoles) (count me in :D), dude PC rules, no wonder they are used in every MAJOR Game Tournaments for any game:wink:

Consoles stay @ home at that time:D, coz people have such Monstoruos PC Machines (highly configed) which beat the cr@p out of those punk consoles:D

and about "Self Assembly" thing, will you pay 50-60k(sorry i dont know Mac Prices :oops: ) for each macine, if you set up a "Inernet Cafe", or for general "Accounts" stuff in Office use.

here too PC is the BEST option, coz you can just go choose very "Low End" Processors, Motherboard, RAM....which account to a total of 20-25k
& same way the Power Users can go for Overclockable configs, like gamer dudes:D (where price is not an issue @ all)

& for gamers:D, there are many types of gamers, like 640*480, 1024*760, 2048 x 1536:D:D:D apart from Casual gamer, Hardcore...gamers:D
(rit now i'm in 640 range :oops: :D )
so according to their needs, they can get the low-end (cheaper) or a fully blown High-end card:p which they overclock to even higher clock speeds:p

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, what is the point in rubbing this in again and again. PCs are better than Macs at games. I never denied that and do not intend to either.
And Apple does not deal in extremely low end configurations, so MS only has competition from Linux there.
But with the release of Vista, MS has also basically opted out of the extremely low end segment.

But if you want a good, stable machine for doing your stuff and can at least spend Rs. 50,000 and upwards, Macs are your best bet.

S

SE><IE

As for self assembly.....
Do you mean to say windows crashes due to hardware changes too? Now, Macs are preconfigured, I suppose thats because they can't handle any hardware changes?
To get the facts clear- Windows Xp was the most secure OS when launched, beating even Linux and Macs. This isn't what I say but what the facts say.
"Macs are stable, they crash due to hardware and not due to software" eh?
What? Macs can't support a handful of hardware handpicked by Apple Inc ? Wonder what would happen if they had to support enormous list of Hardware like Windows (getting proper drivers is still a a pain in the rear even for Linux users). And I suppose if MS were to go bundling handpicked hardware with windows then, heck, even 98 would haven't crashed.

But if you want a good, stable machine for doing your stuff and can at least spend Rs. 50,000 and upwards, Macs are your best bet.
What kinda stuff takes your computer to its limits? Games, video encoding, Animation softwares (3DS max, Maya etc), Photoshop (opening images in Gigabytes)? Heck you can get a normal PC for 20K bucks if you want the normal stuff.
Games: "Mac users don't play games". I lost to Macfans :D
Video-encoding: A custom built machine is always better. Atleast you can replace the processor (alone) when you need more power.
Animation: All devices must be Mac compatible. And do I see lots of choices? Heck no!
Photoshop: The world works on 2.2

:D

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
@aryayush
First let me make my point clear...I am not bashing MAC users or anything...I am just tellin my views

What u say is true...MAC OS is a stable operatiing system..It is an OS perfectly designed for users who r new to computers...Everything I agree

U tell about stability...IN MAC OS hardly there will be few applications available for a particular job & most created by Apple..But in Windows there will be hundreds & there in lies the problem...All these programs are not created by Microsoft..all r created by 3rd party developers with all registry entries,files & the more number of programs u have less is the performance

And dude tell me one thing...who will receive the most number of curses,hatemails for not playin well in cricket...will it be Virender Sehwag or some Ranji Player?? Obviously Sehwag...& that here is MS...The more the popular the more r the number of attacks in the form of viruses,exploits etc...And yeah even MACs r also gettin their share 2... hackers & virus writers dont have time for Mac where the usage is just 2-3 % of the market...They can utilize themselves better if they write it for Windows..They can spread the treachery better in Windows..I agree that Microsoft was a bit leniant on the security side 2 but still Apple also is & they only find out the vulnerabilities themselves & patch it up whereas MS are told by hackers about the vulnerabilities & after gettin screwed they patch it up..

And talkin about MAC updates....every 0.1 version revision Apple charges 129$.. from CHeetah,Puma,Jaguar,Tiger & the upcoming Leopard its the same story...ANd dont tell me that they offer value for money for all these upgrades...most of them will be just enhancements...And the best parts of Tiger that is Spotlight,Dashboard were rip offs of Alpha builds of Longhorn...So it comes nearly 400-500 dollars which is the same cost of Windows Vista & whatever new features we get,we wont be payin anything for that...

To tell u the truth Microsoft is a victim of popularity of its own operating systems...By the time they release a new OS the previous OS wud have been adopted by users that they dont feel like upgrading to a new one..But they do upgrade...Now Windows Xp is defacto,but people were whinning that it didnt offer new noticeable features but people still upgraded..
And as everybody has said...PC upgradation which cant be done with MACS..Yes ys I know MAC systems look like angels but PC can be made to look like that...I have seen some beautiful lookin cabinets...

So what i tell is if u like MACs gud for ya & I like Windows & wud not think of switching to MAC rite now..Windows is just gettin better...And I am with Remond based MS & support them whole heartedly

In the end also I am tellin that MS is also a pain in the arse but still Apple is not far ahead...But MS will catch it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom