Gimp 2.5 : Reaching New Heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/pfiles/6731/gimp-logo%20original.pngThe GIMP team announced today the first release from the 2.5 development series.

New Features : -

The most notable change in GIMP 2.5 happened under the hood. The color tools in GIMP have been ported to GEGL. This does not yet have much impact on the user experience but it is a first and important step forward. With full GEGL integration GIMP will finally get support for higher color depths, more color spaces and eventually non-destructive editing.

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/6733/gimp-print.png​

With the help of the UI team, the Toolbox menu has been merged into the image window. GIMP now always keeps an image window open and the default configuration treats the toolbox and docks as utility windows.

An often requested tool for simple polygonal selections has been added and work has started to improve the text tool. Please see the NEWS file on developer.gimp.org for a more detailed list of changes.

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/6732/gimp-empty.png​

Download : GIMP - Downloads
Development : GIMP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
With the help of the UI team, the Toolbox menu has been merged into the image window. GIMP now always keeps an image window open and the default configuration treats the toolbox and docks as utility windows.
^^that seems like a valid reason to update soon. whenever i use gimp th toolbox menu always gets in the way.have to keep moving it all round the screen.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Indeed, this is now better, if not as good as having a background window on all the time just like any other editor out there.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^But the screenshot shows no difference between what was previously there,
can someone point me to a screenshot in which the toolkit is embedded in the image window?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Its not the toolkit being merged into the image window, its the menus that the toolkit window had. Check the Window screenshot above and you will see no menus in the tool window, all menus have hence been shifted to the Image window.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Ah, I see. But having the toolkit in a seperate window was my problem,
IMO, an MDI interface like Inkscape/Photoshop is much better.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Heh, There are quite a few radical designs at the gimp ui brainstrom blog,
Check them : *gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/search/label/single window

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
Thanks for the link.
In windows section, it doesn't provide link to download Gimp 2.5 so I think it is not available in Windows XP.

Plz correct me if I am wrong.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
AFAIK the Final release will be Gimp 2.6 not 2.5......All those 2.5.x releases will be development releases, so they may not be available for Windows.

chandru.in

In the zone
Am I the only one who likes the current multi-window approach of Gimp. The only annoying part is the config dialogs appearing behind the Image window (Gimp 2.4.5). Otherwise, I find the interface to be perfectly fine.

Even Photoshop has similar UI layout on its Mac version. Anyway, I'm not an expert artist.

Vishal Patil

Linux all the way
Wow thats awesome, open-source rocks.
seems this move will shake the foundation of photoshop.
what about memory usage????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom