Gigabyte HD 7950 on Intel DX58SO not working !!

abhadi

Broken In
Hey guys,

i recently got a Gigabyte HD 7950. when i installed it my system, it didn't go beyond the splash screen. I thought the psu that am using was not enough (CX500), so got a bigger psu (GS700). Still the problem was the same.

Am using Intel DX58SO mobo for almost 4 years. It has two PCIE 2.0 16x slots and is working fine with my Sapphire HD 5770. So to further investigate i got my friends' very old MSI p7n platinum and it worked !! The graphic card accepted the mobo or should i say the mobo accepted the graphic card ?? this board too has 2XPCIE2.0 16x slots.

So guys, the problem seems to be my Intel DX58SO. Am stuck !! i've tried updating my bios (the last bios updated for DX58SO - 5/2012), removing and installing new drivers.

I tried updating the bios on the 7950 when i installed in my friends computer, but it already has the latest one. I cant afford to get a new motherbord now. i just spent a lot on this :cry::cry:

Am low on ideas now. pls help guys !!:cry::cry:

OP
A

abhadi

Broken In
Finally !!!! Found a way though !!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

1. I plugged my old hd 5770 in the primary pci adapter (with hdmi cable attached) and the hd 7950 on the secondary adapter (no video out ).

2. Powered up the 7950 with the 8 and 6 pin cables , the 5770 with molex to 6 pin adapter.

3. Switched on my pc. Both cards started running as expected.

4. Bios worked as it chose my 5770 as its primary display adapter. Bios also showed my 7950 in the second slot.

5. Went inside windows. My catalyst controller shows both graphic cards in the hardware information. (Primary adapter:5770, Disabled adapter:7950) So no problems with the cards.!!

6. To check if my 7950 works properly, i unplugged the hdmi cable from 5770 and plugged it in 7950 while still operating in windows, and it worked !! Display worked fine, videos, games worked.

But still my problem wasn't over, cant keep swapping hdmi cable from 5770 to 7950 every time i switch on my system. so next,

7. I uninstalled all ATI drivers while still using 7950.

8. Restarted the system, with 5770 still attached. Now since the hdmi cable was plugged to 7950 and 5770 still on the board, bios somewhat accepted both the cards and let me through to windows !!! the problem here is that bios needs my 5770 :-( and so it flew past bios and i landed directly onto the OS selection screen ( i use win 7,win 8 and Ubuntu ).

9. Went inside windows and installed the latest drivers.

10. Now my catalyst controller shows primary adapter as 7950 and disabled adapter as 5770.

To sum it up, I still need a latest bios update for my board, till that time i can keep using this AWESOME card. The 5770 is eating up extra power, i have to find a low performance, low power consumption old gen card to replace this. And to go inside bios i have to remove the 7950.:-( (going into bios is definitely not a daily routine. so it shouldn't be a problem)

My cabinet is packed !! Need a bigger case which i will get in due course of time. For now the card is working just fine :)

View attachment 10830

View attachment 10829

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Surprising but good to hear that you figured out something from the blues :) nice work there..

You are on the right track as you are trying to get hold of a bios update for your board. Alternatively, try moving your 7950 to the primary slot with 5770 in the secondary.. and if it works, remove the 5770 completely :p just the try and error randoms :p

OP
A

abhadi

Broken In
Thanks guys!!

I have posted the same thing on the Intel community, and I got replies stating it's difficult to expect bios for dx58so dx58so 2 and the dx58og as all these boards are discontinued.

One of them had the same issue but with a evga gtx 780. He contacted evga and explained his problem. And guess what, they did a compatibility bios upgrade for his gfx card. Now it's working on dx58so flawlessly!! He suggested me the same thing. I have sent gigabyte a mail stating my problems and other necessary information. Well see.

But thanks to you guys and this forum that helped me and my bro solve this to some level . We almost lost our hopes on this.

Was playing Crysis 3 with all the details at maximum. It was super smooth and a treat to watch!!

Top Bottom