Gentoo 2007.0 Released - First Gentoo release for 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
The Gentoo Release Engineering project has finally managed to get ready the Gentoo Linux 2007.0 release, after a number of delays caused by some security vulnerabilities and other bugs which had to be solved. Gentoo Linux is probably the most portable Linux version so far, available for numerous architectures, such as: x86, MIPS, Alpha, IA64, x86-64, SPARC a.s.o. Gentoo was also the first distribution to offer a complete 64-bit Linux computing environment for the PowerPC 970.

Code named Secret Sauce, the Gentoo 2007.0 release did not let its fans wait for it in vain. With an enormous number of packages secured through a complex rebuilding process, Gentoo 2007.0 intends to provide a more modular, more flexible, easy to maintain and optimized version of what Gentoo stood for so far. For this purpose, it also comes with a suit of package updates, improvements and additions. Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3, OpemOffice.org 2.1.0, GNOME 2.16.2 or the 2.6.19 version of the Linux kernel are just a few of the additions brought to this release.

Significant highlights can be underlined for every supported architecture. Regarding x86, the updates in the hardware support can be counted, followed by the updates to GLIMC 2.5. Many updates were made in the 32-bit emulation libraries for the amd64, which should now offer a better support for many of the closed source applications. Both x86 and amd64 provide now the possibility of upgrading from the hardened stage to the non-hardened stage. GLIBC 2.5 was brought in this version especially for the Alpha and PPC architectures. PPC also benefited of plenty updated packages, while the PPC64 architecture now enjoys server and desktop profiles for both the 32-bit and 64-bit userlands. The profiles split into server and desktop are also one of the new ingredients brought specially for HPPA.

You can download Gentoo Linux 2007.0 right now from Softpedia.

You can download Gentoo Linux 2007.0 LiveCD right now from Softpedia.

praka123

left this forum longback
why do we want to download from softpedia?
Just go to gentoo.org,anyways even softpedia site will redirect there:eek:
btwn thx for news.tried it long back will have to try :-|

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I am sooooooooo tempted to try gentoo.. Just am not able to convince myself :p

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
Hey, will anybody suggest me which linux os is advanced, most reliable, most good looking etc? I m using Ubuntu 7.04 now. It is my first linux os. So i m new for linux. And it is quite comfortable. What about SuSe?

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
bhushan05d251 said:
Hey, will anybody suggest me which linux os is advanced, most reliable, most good looking etc? I m using Ubuntu 7.04 now. It is my first linux os. So i m new for linux. And it is quite comfortable. What about SuSe?

I think suse is better. You gotta giv it a try...

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
I will Try Gentoo 7 days before I receive Fedora 7 .... I want to try gentoo but god know will I be comfortable with it :D

praka123

left this forum longback
Gentoo is not an easy distro to try.It needs u to compile and optimized for ur architecture.for that u know ur h/w very well.some speed gains u can expect :-|

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Little Offtopic but some how related....As it is modified one as I heard.

Can any please tell me how can I define static IP address for my lan card in Sabyon Live Session using GNOME or KDE desktop ?

I tried (GNOME Terminal) 'network-admin' but it ain't work.
The help file clearly point out that it is under System Files--->Network. But there is no Network menu available only "network tools" available.

OR isn't possible ?

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
bhushan05d251 said:

i say u try KUbuntu , it looks better than Ubuntu at the same time being based on the same solid Debian core n the demi-god apt package manager .

i wouldn't suggest Suse coz package management in it ain't very good , KUbuntu will be fine , give it a try .

nyways , didn't the Gentoo guy join MS ?

eddie

El mooooo
All I can say is "AT LAST"!!!. Gentoo Release Engg guys have been so pissed that they were snapping at just the mention of the word 2007 :p :D
kalpik said:
I am sooooooooo tempted to try gentoo.. Just am not able to convince myself
You are experienced enough now. Whats stopping you? May be we could give you a nudge ;)
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
nyways , didn't the Gentoo guy join MS ?
What? :?

kalpik

Hehe.. i always wanted to try a rolling release distro.. Anyway, im trying archlinux in a VM right now.. And im downloading gentoo too.. (should be done by tomorrow). So in the meantime, if you could point me to some guide etc, that would be great :)

Hmm.. Looking around, i found this: *www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2007.0/handbook-x86.xml

I am downloading the liveCD installer.. This doesnt appear too hard! Or is it?

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
eddie said:
All I can say is "AT LAST"!!!. Gentoo Release Engg guys have been so pissed that they were snapping at just the mention of the word 2007 :p :DYou are experienced enough now. Whats stopping you? May be we could give you a nudge ;)What? :?
well he was supposed to be in MS until i searched today , here's what i got .

Gentoo Linux founder quits Microsoft:D :D

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
I've downloaded Gentoo 2007 Live CD iso. When I was booting from it half of the process was going OK i.e. initializing drivers, initializing h/w, loading files etc all in command mode. But when graphical display was came (i.e GUI, loading window, mouse cursor, etc) it initializes first our screen resolution but when initializing, screen display error had displayed i.e. "sync out of range". This problem exactly happens when we set our screen resolution on specific range which is not supported by our video card. Can I set my screen resolution manually when loading? Cab anybody solve this problem?

Also tell me what is the difference between Gentoo 2007 live CD and DVD?

Downloads:

Live CD

Live DVD Torrent

eddie

El mooooo
kalpik said:
I am downloading the liveCD installer.. This doesnt appear too hard! Or is it?
Yes that is the guide you should follow but the core guide you will reach is located here
*www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

It is not at all difficult but I would recommend keeping your hopes low. Don't expect to make it till the end in a first try. I am not saying that you can't...I am just saying that you "might" not. So it is better to expect less and get more :)

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
well he was supposed to be in MS until i searched today , here's what i got .
Daniel is not in any developer or lead position in Gentoo. He is not a part of Council either...so currently calling him "Gentoo guy" would be like stretching the facts a little too far :)

In fact he even tried to come back into Gentoo very recently as a developer but was given a very cold treatment...thus had to leave again.

Last edited:

kalpik

Ok, i got gentoo running at first attempt on VMWare :) Now the thing is its not even mounting cdroms automatically.. ill have a look at their wiki and forums :)

Satissh S

Youngling
Did get the stage3 the very next day and cut my teeth a bit with it. But Linux is getting boring these days. There just too much quality distributions out there.. (Gentoo, Slackware , Arch .. LFS)

I've been hanging around with FreeBSD and openBSD sometimes these days while reporting bugs in the Test 4 Release of Fedora 7. ;)

I want to get full time with the BSD's though.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
eddie said:
Daniel is not in any developer or lead position in Gentoo. He is not a part of Council either...so currently calling him "Gentoo guy" would be like stretching the facts a little too far :)

In fact he even tried to come back into Gentoo very recently as a developer but was given a very cold treatment...thus had to leave again.
well as far as i've read , he was the "Creator" of Gentoo , it doesn't matter what position he currently commands in Gentoo but please atleast Give Daniel credit for what he has done :mad:

eddie

El mooooo
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
well as far as i've read , he was the "Creator" of Gentoo , it doesn't matter what position he currently commands in Gentoo but please atleast Give Daniel credit for what he has done :mad:
Yes the fact is that he was the creator of Gentoo but currently he is not associated with Gentoo in any way; except that his name is mentioned in Change logs dating back to Feb, 2004. Nothing else...no patches...no ebuilds etc. Everything he did has been phased out of Gentoo and much better things are being done by developers who actually matter.

As far as giving credit is concerned. He has already been given enough credit for his work but this is a community...not a monarchy. Its not like people have to bow in front of Robbins till eternity. For me a "Gentoo guy" is one who actually submits patches...fixes bugs...does rev bumps for packages and helps his fellow Gentoo users out of the problems they face. That is the real "Gentoo guy" for me...not Daniel Robbins who has been out of touch with the project since more than 3 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom