Generic Host Process virus in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhunnu16

Broken In
I am connected to LAN.Recently from few days me and my friends connected to the LAN are facing an error. Its a Generic Host Process win32 error which occurs after 20-25 min of starting the PC. After I close the error message I hear no sound when I play any media file nor I can open any sharing on the Local network. Like this my friends are also facing the same error messages with different symptoms. Some of them cannot run the media files after closing the error messages. This surely is not a conflict error or driver problem. Some virus may have crept. But no antivirus or firewall is able to stop it. I have tried all the antivirus softwares.
I formatted my PC three times but no solution.Kindly help me.

paroh

Padawan
U can try this

Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) by clicking Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
In the small box that Opens, type: regedit then click the OK button.
The Registry Editor will now have opened…
Locate the following key in the registry:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters
In the right-hand side of the window find an option called TransportBindName.
Double click that value, and then delete the default value, thus giving it a blank value.

The you must now navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\OLE
You will see there is a String Value called: EnableDCOM
Set the value to: N (it should currently be Y)
Close the Registry Editor.
Shutdown and Restart your computer.

You could also disabled NETbios. But I’ve found that by disabling these two, my computer get back to normal without re-formatting my computer etc. Hope you can get rid of this faulting application “svchost exe” problem. Good Luck!!

mrintech

Technomancer
Do what paroh said and also get scanned with: *www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Also you can opt for the commercial version if you require automatic protection ;)

OP
bhunnu16

bhunnu16

Broken In
U can try this

Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) by clicking Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
In the small box that Opens, type: regedit then click the OK button.
The Registry Editor will now have opened…
Locate the following key in the registry:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters
In the right-hand side of the window find an option called TransportBindName.
Double click that value, and then delete the default value, thus giving it a blank value.

The you must now navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\OLE
You will see there is a String Value called: EnableDCOM
Set the value to: N (it should currently be Y)
Close the Registry Editor.
Shutdown and Restart your computer.

You could also disabled NETbios. But I’ve found that by disabling these two, my computer get back to normal without re-formatting my computer etc. Hope you can get rid of this faulting application “svchost exe” problem. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the reply. I am not getting the error now but I am also not able to open any network sharing files. Kindly tell me how can can I solve both the problems. I need to access shared files on the LAN.

OP
bhunnu16

bhunnu16

Broken In
I am able to ping IP on my LAN and also able to surf net but I am not able open shared files on my network.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Please use the search function, and also see the 'similar threads' shown at the bottom of this page. This problem and its solution is so common that I am fedup of even trying to find it.

paroh

Padawan
make sure u are member of workgroup. And u have enabled the share option on the folder or drive on the network. And also see that u are able to see the network computer in ur My Network Places.

Go to Control Panel->Network Connections->My Network Places->view workgroup computer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom