Garbled screen after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I recently upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 on both of my machines, a Dell Studio 1555 and my Desktop. While on the laptop is smoothed out the rough edges of 8.10, on desktop it made the situation from bad to worse.
Earlier my Display was not being detected nor were the Ati drivers properly worked, even the restricted ones gave me a blank screen. I upgraded today from 8.10 and after the restart, when the login window is supposed to display, I get a garbled screen, the text is not garbled, the whole screen is garbled. Will post its pic soon.
I tried repairing the X-Server but of no use. My screen is a Samsung LCD TV and video input to it is provided by my HD4850. Any idea as to why is this happening?
Second Post:- Here the screen shot.
*img17.imageshack.us/img17/8408/17072009.th.jpg
The other thing I also noticed was that when this happens, the keyboard also goes unresponsive, no lights r lit, no keys work, the only way to escape is the manually switch off the system but shutting down the power.

Last edited:
OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Someone at Ubuntu's forum suggested me this but problem is where to do this in Recovery menu?
Code:
sudo apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx

1. resume Resume normal boot
  2. clean Try to make free space
  3. dpkg Repair broken packages
  4. fsck File system check
  5. grub Update Grub bootloader
  6. netroot Drop to root shell prompt with networking
  7. root Drop to root shell prompt
  8. xfix Try to auto repair graphic problems
I've tried option no. 3 6 and 7 and none works. Infact when I select 6 or 7, it says press Control-D to continue and when I do so it takes me back to the Recovery Menu.
The other problem that has popped now is with the laptop. Its Dell Studio 1555 and after the Jaunty update, none of the listed drivers produce sound output. Some even give errors.
Following r listed;
For Sound Playback of Sound Events,Movies and Music and Audio Confrencing-

1. AutoDetect
  2. HDA Intel STAC92xx Analog (ALSA)
  3. HDA ATI HDMI ATI HDMI (ALSA)
  4. HDA Intel STAC92xx Analog (OSS)
  5. HDA Intel STAC92xx Analog (OSS) These r double enteries existing by default, I messed wwith nothing here.
  6. ALSA- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
  7. OSS- Open Sound System
  8. Pulse Audio Sound Service
Out of these the 2nd and the 7th entry gives following error when selected and tested.
Code:
audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open audio device for playback.

Can u also please tell me how to take screenshots in Ubuntu as PrntScrn key doesn't works and using Gimp leads to removal of focus from intended app thus disvowing the whole aim of taking the screenshot

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Dude! Never EVER Upgrade. Always do a FRESH installation. Preserve the home directory if you wish to preserve files and certain settings.

Option 7 should take you to the terminal. I dunno about Ctrl +D part though. Will check in a minute.

As for the sound try-> alsaconf (as root)

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I went for the fresh upgrade but the thing is that I failed to boot off in the live setup citing a BIOS bug. Dunno how the 8.10 managed to get installed but ti somehow did and worked. It still gave the BIOS bug error before booting every time I booted into Ubuntu.
Now u wud say,"Flash BIOS" but then again there r 2 major hindrances in this process.

1. My MoBo, ASUS P5QC, BIOS flash works only by afudos method and there is no Windows based BIOS flashing tool for it, neither at the site nor in the disk. The afudos requires Floppy drive for flashing and I got none. :cry:
  2. To be honest, I'm scared of Flashing the BIOS, afraid that I might brick it! :oops:
Second Post:
OK, I ran that command and it did the trick. Now by default the max. res. that my screen supports(1360x768 ) is shown there but when I select it, the screen shifts to left. I can't manually adjust it as its an LCD TV and there is no option to do so, what can I do? I know installing ATi drivers do give the option to adjust screen but in this case since I've no drivers installed either so what to do besides installing the drivers and adjusting the res. from there? Moreover how to install those drivers?
Can u also tell me the fix for my laptop's audio problem?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom