Gandhi memorabilia owner wants auctioned items back

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
Here's the report:-
source: *ibnlive.in.com/news/gandhi-memorabilia-owner-wants-auctioned-items-back/87627-3.html

Gandhi memorabilia owner wants auctioned items back
New York: US-based collector James Otis, the owner of Mahatma Gandhi five items which were auctioned off by the Antiquorum Auctioneers for USD 1.8 million, said he will file a case in the New York State Supreme Court in an effort get the items back.

Talking to PTI on Friday, Otis said his lawyers are finalising the details. He did not say on what grounds he would be seeking the items back.

Mahatma Gandhi's iconic round eye glasses and other personal belongings, including a pocket watch, a pair of sandals, glasses, bowl and a plate were bought by Indian liquor baron Vijay Mallya recently at an auction in New York.

The items were purchased by Mallya after the auctioneers refused to take them off the auction despite request by Otis.

But the Antiquorum said he would hold the items for two weeks because of notice by US Justice Department following Delhi High Court order staying the auction.

Asked whether he would donate the items to the India, Otis said he had made the proposal to the Indian government to increase allocation for the poor and for 78-nation tour of Gandhi's items to promote his principle of non violence.

He said he had received no formal response to the proposal though he had read in the newspapers that it had been rejected. He would continue negotiations with the government, he added.

Asked how many more items he had, he said "Quite a few. But I am not sharing with you at this time".

Otis said earlier said he had Gandhi's blood report and a signed telegram in his possession.

I also heard on some news channel that he is doing this because Gandhiji's belongings are being used in politics in India. It's all dirty politics being practised by our government! I feel that he is right in what he's trying to do.

i am with alexander on this one !

otis is a peace activist and a patron/fan of Gandhi and his peace ideals ...... He is right about the govt using it to gain political mileage

The solution is simple ... Indian govt should take him up on his offer of increasing the healthcare budget

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
1+ ^
Please people wake up.This is the government you elect.
On second note so sorry from me for the harsh remark.You hardly have any choice.
The bane of living up with the political system in India

karnivore

in your face..
This Otis dude can take his concern and shove it up his arse and fart as much and for as long as he wants.

red_devil

Back!
i am with alexander on this one !

otis is a peace activist and a patron/fan of Gandhi and his peace ideals ...... He is right about the govt using it to gain political mileage

The solution is simple ... Indian govt should take him up on his offer of increasing the healthcare budget

who the fcuk is that guy to tell the Indian govt of what to do and what not to do ?

either he's only attempting to stay in the lime light OR he didn't know those items would fetch him that much so he's probably wanting to get some more money outta this ...

PLUS if this guy was such a gandhian he is making himself out to be, he would've donated all the items to the govt/ some organization in India or kept it with himself..why did he choose to auction it ?

and quite frankly, this guy is NOT bigger than the govt of India [...however good/bad our politicians are...] ... so i'd have to agree with above post (karnivore)

^ let me ask u a question

What was the Indian government doing all along ?? Gandhi died nearly half a century back .... why did they not try to get those items back for nearly fifty years .....

because they dont care about it , thats why

Now that elections are on .... and media has suddenly highlighted the issue they leave no stone unturned to get it back .....

If the Indian Government had previously made an attempt to secure those items , they would nt be in a such a position now , would they ?

And about otis .... He is a well known peace activists ...... he did withdraw the items when the Indian govt told him to do so .... it was the Auctioners who went ahead with the sale ......

And do you really think Otis gets anything out of the indian government increasing the healthcare budget ? Use your head kid .

Nobody gave a damn about the items for fifty years ... whose fault was it ?

red_devil

Back!
And about otis .... He is a well known peace activists ...... he did withdraw the items when the Indian govt told him to do so .... it was the Auctioners who went ahead with the sale ......

then why did he put them up for auction in the first place ??

and uncle (/aunt as the case may be) he doesn't give a damn about the healthcare budgets...its only to portray to you grown ups that he is concerned about the country and its people.

besides, what does he intend to do with it if he gets it back ??? put it up for another auction ?

Asked whether he would donate the items to the India, Otis said he had made the proposal to the Indian government to increase allocation for the poor and for 78-nation tour of Gandhi's items to promote his principle of non violence.

He said he had received no formal response to the proposal though he had read in the newspapers that it had been rejected. He would continue negotiations with the government, he added.

Asked how many more items he had, he said "Quite a few. But I am not sharing with you at this time".
Otis said earlier said he had Gandhi's blood report and a signed telegram in his possession.

and your take on the govt. not buying it... well, if he doesn't say i have such and such items in my possession, you expect the govt to go search his house and find out ??

uncle/aunt gimme a break :|

OP
alexanderthegreat

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
^^Pardon me you two, but the Indian Govt. is not in possession of those items right now. It's that Mallya guy who owns them. I agree with phantom, the govt. doesn't care! The Indian govt. only cared enough to claim the credit. That too without Mallya-dude's permission.

Anyhow, I said all that "I agree with Otis" stuff because what he claims is right! Those items ARE being politicised! Anyhau, the govt. shouldn't be trying to possess those things in the first place! It should be trying to popularize that great man (Gandhiji) 's ideas, principles and morals!!! That's what matters!

Also, those things are not nukes for goodness's sake! They cannot go into wrong hands!

Mystic

wise one
The last I heard about his proposal, besides the budget of healthcare, didn't he also 'demanded' to cut down the military budget? :S

The last I heard about his proposal, besides the budget of healthcare, didn't he also 'demanded' to cut down the military budget? :S

:O
if you can prove that to be a valid news piece (with news links)... i accept defeat (in this ....er....debate ? )

I never heard of any such thing
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
1) Anyhau, the govt. shouldn't be trying to possess those things in the first place! It should be trying to popularize that great man (Gandhiji) 's ideas, principles and morals!!! That's what matters!

2)Also, those things are not nukes for goodness's sake! They cannot go into wrong hands!

1) thats a very good point ... i am sure Gandhi would prefer that his ideals be followed rather than people spending huge amounts of money , fighting over his stuff

2) and yeah ... those items aint no nukes ...and i am sure no Antique collector has an appetite for antique watches , glasses etc etc ...so he aint gonna eat it !...its going to be preserved for many more years .....

Last edited:

Mystic

wise one
Phantom Lancer said:
:O
if you can prove that to be a valid news piece (with news links)... i accept defeat (in this ....er....debate ? )

I never heard of any such thing

I heard about this via news channel, but here's some news link I searched down.

It seems he had given Indian Government two choices, one is about the shifting the budget from military expenses to healthcare for poors. Other one is different.

*www.scribd.com/doc/12990798/James-...an-Government-to-End-of-Auction-Gandhi-Items-

James Otis agrees to withdraw the Gandhi items from the Antiquorum Auctioneers auction if the Government of India agrees either to

1)Substantially increase the proportion of the Indian government budget spent on health care for the poor to shift priorities from military spending to the health care of the Indian people, specifically the poor.

2)To provide financial support and the good offices of Indian embassies and consulates, as well as other contacts in the Indian community, to support educational events that use the Gandhi items to promote Gandhian nonviolent resistance in 78 countries around the world, one for each of the number of years Gandhiji graced us with his life on the planet. They would bring together concerned citizens, nonviolent activists, civic and government leaders to grapple with the meaning of Gandhi’s message for today’s world. Educational programs would accompany the exhibit for the schools and universities in the region that would encourage the study of Gandhian nonviolence

In the spirit of Mahatma Gandhi’s emphasis on caring for the poorest of the poor, the Indian government would commit to substantially increasing the proportion of the Indian government budget that is spent on health care over the coming decade. This would involve a shift in priorities from military spending to the health care of the Indian people, especially the poor.

(Note that it's the proposal he gave when the auction was on, I don't know if this has changed.)
*www.indianexpress.com/news/gandhi/431159//

Yeah i checked that news article

it says
"shifting priorities from military spending to health care, especially for the poor"

this is very different from " Demanded that govt cut down on military spending"

Right now the indian government's top priority is Military spending ......Shifting the priority to spending on the poor does not automatically mean cutting the existing budget , but rather making / spending on the poor / the top priority .....

Considering that India is part of the non-alignment movement and has the largest number of poor in the world ...its not such a bad idea

Cutting the military budget definitely is not acceptable either

mehra.rakesh

Journeyman
What good are some spectacles if the country has forgotten what gandhi believed in ??

Not to start a debate if his policies belong to the 21st century or not but his ideals must atleast be followed by the politicians using his name for political gains...

if this Otis guy was so concerned he cud have auctioned off the stuff and used the money for promoting gandhi in US itself if not anywhere else ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom