gaming rig 100-130k

maddy

Journeyman
hello Guys
I want to make good pc for my friend who is game designer as profession but
this is his personal rig so mainly focused on playing games as well as working on game engines

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: to play all Latest games BF4, Thief, Titanfall, dota 2 , guild wars, 2 max settings as possible
and softwares like Unity3d, Unreal engine, crytek Engine

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 100k to 130k dont want to extend beyond 130k for now

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: yes as max as it can go

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 7 or windows 8

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 2 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: for now in budget good 22inch monitor afterwords he will go for good 27inch or above monitor for 4k or qhd

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Dont want mouse keyboard or speakers ....... he have them or he can buy better one later

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: with in 2-3 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have assembled many systems before

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Mumbai so will prefer buying from lamington or online as per good price

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: here is my configuration but i want u guys to help me here as i am confused here and there in this build
processor - i7 4770k
motherboard - Asus Maximus V1 Hero (considering max oc)
Ram - corsair or kingston 8 gb or 16 gb depends on budget
cooler - Noctua NH-D14
GPU - put R9 290 or 290x or 780???

please suggest good configuration

Thank you :-D

Last edited:

Honeydew

Broken In
Processor Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 4770K i7 4th Generation Processor-23k
Motherboard Asus Maximus V1 Hero Motherboard-18k
HDD Seagate barracuda 2tb 7200 RPM-5.8k
Ram G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) PC RAM-12k
PSU Antec vp650p psu-4.5k
Cabinet NZXT Phantom 410 -6k
Monitor Dell S2240L ips monitor-8.8k
Graphics card Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 290X 4 GB DDR5 Graphics Card-44k
CPU cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler-2.5k
total 124.6k

Honeydew

Broken In
CPU Cooler: OP will need a better cooler to OC an Haswell i7 similar to what he mentioned Noctua/water cooler
Cabinet: There are better cabinet in that price range.
PSU: why not seasonic/corsair

can you name the better cabinets in the price range.....
and the water cooler will be necessary for an extreme oc of i7...which is not at all recomended...sure op can go with a water cooler but why not save some money...:wink:

i7 4770k (23,800)
Asus Maximus Vi Hero (18500)
Noctua NH-D14 (6000)
G.Skill RipjawsX 8 GB x2 (9000)
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD (5800)
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD (7000)
Asus R9 270X DC Dual CrossFire (32000)
Corsair TX750V2 (7200)
Corsair 500R (7300)
Dell S2440L (13700)

total: 1,30,300

Honeydew

Broken In
i7 4770k (23,800)
Asus Maximus Vi Hero (18500)
Noctua NH-D14 (6000)
G.Skill RipjawsX 8 GB x2 (9000)
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD (5800)
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD (7000)
Asus R9 270X DC Dual CrossFire (32000)
Corsair TX750V2 (7200)
Corsair 500R (7300)
Dell S2440L (13700)

total: 1,30,300
i have 3 questions regarding your build..
1:is the ssd necessary for a gaming rig?
2:is R9 270X DC Dual CrossFire is better than Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 290X 4 GB DDR5?
3:why a 750w psu while 650w is sufficient?

2:is R9 270X DC Dual CrossFire is better than Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 290X 4 GB DDR5?

> SSD isn't necessary for gaming, but as it can be afforded and its effect on OS speed is considerably, I included it.

> Yes, 270X CF is faster than single 290X.

> I use this online PSU wattage calculator and always go with it.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Harsh's suggested rig is ideal for OP. However as it's only gaming one might skip the SSD, as it will only reduce the loading time and some heavy maps loading time and all and have basically no impact on FPS. Gaming is still about FPS imho.
But I will definitely replace the Seagate with WD. Black preferably.

OP
M

maddy

Journeyman
hi everyone

Strictly NO.:evil:

why?? they are good products?? the nzxt phantom is awesome, the hyper 212 evo is widely recommended and the antec psu is good. what prob do you have??

Shiva

Antec vp650p is having only 2 years warrenty n even if sites claiming 85% efficiency... i doubt that its just 80+ not bronze or gold
hyper 212 evo is good but comparing it with something like corsair h100i then noctua is best out there i have used nh-d14 on 3770k at 4.5Ghz with max temp of 70 - 80 in full load with no fan noise from system
phantom is great but I will choose more airflow case as i am using massive air cooler for this rig or end up with 5k case as budget is tight

128 gb ssd is good choice here :p
about psu i was looking at corsair tx 750/rm 750 with 5 years warranty or hx650 with 7 years warranty

one thing I am still not sure about = graphics card
since unity 3D do have physx support and guy will be using rig for Unreal engine, crytek Engine SDKs
my choice will be 290x with secondary nvidia for physx with older drivers i am not sure it will work :-D
so I cant go with R9 270X Dual CrossFire
or leave physx to cpu instead of gpu and go for AMD gpu
Or I go for Nvidia 780??????? which is bloody costly
so need help here

Thank you all of u for quick reply and Honeydew, harshil for builds

Last edited:

Honeydew

Broken In
hi everyone

Antec vp650p is having only 2 years warrenty n even if sites claiming 85% efficiency... i doubt that its just 80+ not bronze or gold
hyper 212 evo is good but comparing it with something like corsair h100i then noctua is best out there i have used nh-d14 on 3770k at 4.5Ghz with max temp of 70 - 80 in full load with no fan noise from system
phantom is great but I will choose more airflow case as i am using massive air cooler for this rig or end up with 5k case as budget is tight
128 gb ssd is good choice here :p
about psu i was looking at corsair tx 750/rm 750 with 5 years warranty or hx650 with 7 years warranty

one thing I am still not sure about = graphics card
since unity 3D do have physx support and guy will be using rig for Unreal engine, crytek Engine SDKs
my choice will be 290x with secondary nvidia for physx with older drivers i am not sure it will work :-D
so I cant go with R9 270X Dual CrossFire
or leave physx to cpu instead of gpu and go for AMD gpu
Or I go for Nvidia 780??????? which is bloody costly
so need help here

Thank you all of u for quick reply and Honeydew, harshil for builds

running the the r9 290x as the main gpu and the nvidia card for physx will work but it wont be much of a diffrence.so i would recommend the r9 290x as it is slightly more power full than gtx 780.you can also go with the dual r9 270x cf if you are sure about not adding a graphics card in future.:-D:mrgreen:

Cilus

laborare est orare
If the games you have mentioned have implemented PhysX using PhysX SDK 3.0 then you won't be needing a dedicated nVidia card for PhysX and modded nVidia driver for enabling PhysX. Unlike the older versions which uses unoptimized X87 based and single threaded code path while running on CPU, SDK 3 uses optimized instructions like SSE2 and SSE3 and multi-threaded implementaion. As a result, a powerful CPU won't be having much problem to run PhysX.

Regarding Graphics card, my suggestion will be getting a single R9 290 or 290X. 270X Crossfire is more powerful but for resolving the Stuttering and high frame time issues in Crossfire, AMD's Frame placing driver solution is a software implementation which isn't a full proof solution. Also since 270X is based on GCN 1.0 architecture, you will loose the True Audio support in games like Thief. 290 and 290X are based on GCN 1.1 architecture which has integrated connecting hardware for Crossfire, you don't even require the Crossfire bridge to connect them. The resulting extremely high data transfer rates between the Cards in Crossfire has completely removed the Micro stuttering and high frame variance issues, in fact now even 290 Crossfire performs better than GTX 780 Ti SLI. HardOCP review has proven it already. Plus you will get the True Audio support in gaming.

OP
M

maddy

Journeyman
thank you Honeydew and
hello Mr...... Cilus super respect :D
hehe i still remember u r post 1 and half year ago which was explaining about choosing ivy core with 2133MHz ram and Graphics cards
after reading that i decided to go for Matrix 7970 :p

so i guess i gonna keep physx thing a side and go with 290 or 290x which ever fits in budget better
i was trying to search R9 290X DirectCU II graphics card but i couldn't find it (asus india site shows it in list so card is launched in india)

so here is my build so far
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximum vi Hero
Ram Gskill 2133 8 GB (4x2)
Graphics card R9 290 or 290x sapphire tri x
CPU cooler noctua nh d 14
HDD seagate 2 TB 7200rpm
SSD samsung 840 ssd might choose evo over pro to adjust budget
PSU Corsair RM 750 or HX 650
Monitor Dell S2240L which is temporary
Case NZXT H440 or Carbide Series 500R
I have used ROG board before so its really good one even for OC 4770k 4.5 GHz stable
Choosing RM over Tx for modular psu and RM is 80+ gold.. or HX 650
we will buy 4k or QHD resolution monitor later so for now just s2240l will do
about case since i am going with air cooler i will prefer direct air flow from front to cpu cooler which is why h440 with its 3 front fans
but i am going to keep case as adjustment in budget
this is from my side so any changes or more suggestions are welcome guys

I will go lamington next week and check prices for configuration
any other shops you guys will recommend besides Prime ABGB

Thank you again

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ I guess you are talking about the series of long posts I've made in GmaerAnand's thread to help him out in the quest for getting the best PC. Glad to hear that helped you out too and happy to any kind of help here...for your quest.

OP
M

maddy

Journeyman
Why go with 290 when 270x crossfire costs almost the same are is faster than even 290x?

It is personal choice :-D
I do agree with you that 270x crossfire is cost efficient as well as better performance but after reading Cilus post
I found following stuff on almost every good pc forums

Which GPU r9 290 or GTX 780 or CF R9 270x - AnandTech Forums
Originally Posted by nwo View Post
Sorry, did not see the CF part. In gaming, you are probably going to get equivalent or better performance to the single 290. However, you may not get the same scaling crossfire performance in all games and you may get some CF related issues. Also, 290 is way more future proof since it has twice the VRAM. So in newer game titles which utilize more than 2GB of VRAM, 270X CF will start to lag behind the 290. As far as mining performance goes, you will get around 5-10% better hashrate with dual 270X's. Again, not a ground breaking difference.

I would rather have a single 290. But the choice is yours.

*forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/79725/2x-amd-r9-270x-sli-vs-1x-r9-290x-4gb

Just to add some more informations on dual-GPU options, Crossfire via CFBI works right now fine with resolutions up to 2560x1600, if you want to go higher you need Crossfire with xdma, which is currently only offered with 290 and 290x cards. (and maybe 260x, still not found a cf review on them, though with their limited GPU power they are not likely candidates for resolutions above 2560x1600 anyway)

all Cross Fire or SLI systems getting big problems with micro stuttering (Short but extrem framedrops, that will make you feel the games stutters. Your game is runnung with average 60 FPS but it feels like it's running with only 30 FPS).
The next part is, your VRAM. There are only 2 GB VRAM with 1 card for gaming and there will be only 2GB VRAM for gaming with 2 cards in CF. The CF VRAM will never double for gaming.
2 GB of VRAM are not enough VRAM for future games, with high textures, so go for a R290X an all problems will be gone. ;-)

Crossfire R9 270's vs Single R9 290 - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips

and so on

owner of this rig is game designer / game tester even if i have mentioned few games above, I cant tell you which games he will play
plus he will go for 4k resolution monitor (3840 x 2160) so i guess keeping option on for cf 290x for best performance in future is better considering xdma do solving some issues of CFBI
even though i have kept psu as per single gpu demand because of current budget :wink:

Cilus

laborare est orare
If OP is planning to get anything over 1080P, like QHD (2560X1440) or UHD (3840X2160) then 290 and 290X should be the only choice for now. 270X Crossfire simply does not have that juice and the 2GB VRam will be hurting bad in those super resolutions. Plus the extra goodies like internal Crossfire link, AMD True Audio support etc....gen GCN 1.1

Top Bottom