Gaming PC Config for 40-45k Required (Excluding Monitor)

Grimrocker

Right off the assembly line
Hello there!

I was actually a member over here at Digit forum a long time ago, but I seem to lost my login credentials. So here I am with a new registration.

Nonetheless as the title suggests, I'm in need of a Gaming PC config, for one that I'm gonna build myself. About 5 years ago, when I last assembled my old PC, I've lost touch of the PC hardware community because of work and life! I feel there's so much that has changed and I need a lot of catching up to do.

That is why I hope I get some valuable suggestions from people more knowledgeable than me and definitely up their hardware game. So excluding Monitor, I'd like for a decent rig for my budget of up to 45k, plus maybe another 5k for other miscellaneous stuff, if not for a high-end headphone.

The primary purpose is of course gaming. Please point me toward the right direction so I can go happily hunting for hardware for the best prices.

Also I was, and prolly still AM an AMD fan. So an AMD-based rig would surely be an icing on the cake, unless of course Intel pulls its weight too much over AMD such that there is a humongous difference in performance between the two at the price range.

Eagerly waiting to view your suggestions.

Thanks

OP
G

Grimrocker

Please fill the questionnaire in the above link shared by TheSloth

Alright, here we go -

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: All the latest power-hungry games at at least 60 fps. I'm actually looking at Star Citizen when it will be released.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 40-45k, excluding the monitor.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Probably not.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 or 8.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: About 1 to 2 TB. I would also need an SSD, a small one albeit.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: About 1 month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes I have. Many times in the past for friends and family.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. And I'm always looking to get the best deals by buying from online shops.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: An AMD-based rig would be very helpful if it is still a viable option compared to Intel at this price point.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It will be tight in this budget.
i5 6500
H110 motherboard
8gigs DDR4 RAM
~430W PSU
Cabinet
1060 3GB
1TB HDD

This would cost little over 50k

mobo

Broken In
CPUi3 61008500
MotherboardAsus H110M4300
Graphics cardZotac 1060 mini 3GB17500
RAM8 GB DDR4 21332700
HDDWD Blue 1TB3500
SSDNOPE!0
PSUSeasonic S12II 4304600
CabinetSuit yourself3000
Total-44100

Even a 1060 6GB will bottleneck a 6500, but it is more future proof for when games start demanding 4 real cores. Don't go for AMD over intel, but if you also like AMD over Nvidia, then you can get an RX470 in the Zotac 1060 3GB mini's price ballpark.

OP
G

Grimrocker

It will be tight in this budget.
i5 6500
H110 motherboard
8gigs DDR4 RAM
~430W PSU
Cabinet
1060 3GB
1TB HDD

This would cost little over 50k

Thanks a lot nac.

- - - Updated - - -

CPUi3 61008500
MotherboardAsus H110M4300
Graphics cardZotac 1060 mini 3GB17500
RAM8 GB DDR4 21332700
HDDWD Blue 1TB3500
SSDNOPE!0
PSUSeasonic S12II 4304600
CabinetSuit yourself3000
Total-44100

Even a 1060 6GB will bottleneck a 6500, but it is more future proof for when games start demanding 4 real cores. Don't go for AMD over intel, but if you also like AMD over Nvidia, then you can get an RX470 in the Zotac 1060 3GB mini's price ballpark.

Thanks to you as well mobo!

I was just wondering since there is a big price difference between the 6500 & 6100, would it seem like a good idea if I can get a future-ready mobo and a lesser priced processor and a brilliant graphic card? I could then look at upgrading my processor(and maybe even the G-card) an year or two later, to more powerful ones.

So suggest me a really nice and upgrade-ready mobo plz. And I'm sad to hear that the good ol' AMD is still trying hard to match up to Intel's performance levels. However, if the ATI cards are equally good as NVidia, then is NVidia still a better choice than AMD if they got some fancy features which are only supported by Nvidia?

And I'd really need a solid SMPS that is to be future-ready. So a little more deeper look at that would be helpful. Lastly, I need a decent looking Cabinet with at least 3 fans and a side window. Anything good in the 3-4k mark?

Thanks for all the advice I'm waiting to hear.

mobo

Broken In
Kaby lake will also use 1151 so your motherboard should be 'future ready'.

1060 3GB is overall better than RX470, but the extra ram in the AMD might prove beneficial in resolutions higher than 1440. 470 is also a better choice if its specifically Vulkan that you are after. 1060 6GB is the best GPU ~25k if you can spend more money.

SS S12II and the M12II series are both solid. Some Antecs are also good if you are concerned about after sales, or the over priced Corsair RM series; CS-M may be acceptable.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
My friend has almost same requirement except for the part that his budget is 30k-35k. So i have few questions ...
@mobo ,
1. why did you suggest a i3 processor?? is it good for gaming ?
2. is the combo of i3-6300 and 1060Mini 3GB is good?

i thought an i5 will suit better with a 1060 3GB version.

- - - Updated - - -

[STRIKE]and the suggested motherboard supports only DDR3. not the DDR4 modules

H110M-A D3 | Motherboards | ASUS Global[/STRIKE]

Ah, sorry. I guess you people are referring to this model :
Amazon.in: Buy Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 DDR4 Intel 6th Generation Motherboard LGA 1151/ Intel H110 Online at Low Prices in India | Gigabyte Reviews & Rating

Last edited:

yasho2249

Broken In
Can you please mention at what resolution you will be playing because if 60 fps is the only target.... It is very much reachable at low budgets on lower resolutions. For 720p I would go with the rx 460. For 1080p it will be really tight. About the cpu... Buying a cheap one now n upgrading it in like a year makes little sense to me. Cpus don't improve much on newer generations. Just get the best you can only. You can get away with an i3 if gaming is casual. Nothing serious or competitive. Gpus are getting efficient day by day.... Today you can build a 1080p power house with a 500W psu.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
^the gaming will be done at 1080p at least at high settings in not at ultra, for the current games. And future games at medium settings at 1080p. My friend isn't into competitive gaming but he is just above casual.

Since he plans to keep this system for atleast 3-4 yrs, i5 with 8GB RAM is a must. The plan is to build the main system first and add the GPU later after few months if that allows to get the overall good config. After an year(may be 10 months), he will change his monitor and may be add extra RAM.

He will buy system in a month, before that if all the components are finalized earlier.

yasho2249

Broken In
^the gaming will be done at 1080p at least at high settings in not at ultra, for the current games. And future games at medium settings at 1080p. My friend isn't into competitive gaming but he is just above casual.

Since he plans to keep this system for atleast 3-4 yrs, i5 with 8GB RAM is a must. The plan is to build the main system first and add the GPU later after few months if that allows to get the overall good config. After an year(may be 10 months), he will change his monitor and may be add extra RAM.

He will buy system in a month, before that if all the components are finalized earlier.
Anyways (my reply was for OP) if you are skiping the gpu it's pretty simple

I5 6500 15000
H110 mobo 4200
8gb ddr4 2700
1tb hdd 3500
Seasonic M12II 520W 5600
Cabinet of your choice

Chose the cheapest mobo from Asus msi or gigabyte supporting ddr4....

mobo

Broken In
^perfect config if not buying GPU yet.

1 suggestion: Get 2x RAMs of 8GB, because: (1) Its always best to buy in pairs if goind dual channel. You never know if the same model will be available 10 months from now. And (2) He can clear any backlog of some older games with the very capable HD 530, which benefits from dual channel.

PS, i3 6100 is unbeatable at its price. For single threaded applications it will perform at par with, if not better than the more expensive i5 6500, thanks to a higher clock. But its not future proof as more games will start demanding 4 real cores in the future.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
[MENTION=156177]mobo[/MENTION] , thank you for replying. That RAM suggestion is very good. I will tell this to my friend and leave that decision on him, budget is issue right now. And yeah, we planned to got i5 version.

I will update here further as i get more info on this from my friend. he hasn't decided on components like UPS, speakers and all. I will come here with clear idea, as Budget is fixed around 40k, dont know which components he is willing to skip as of now.

Top Bottom