Gaming on Vista : Pro’s & Con’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
just coz of no eax you damn vista... ?? well Vista Gives great sound with audigy 4, the sound clarity is way better then XP itself... :p

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
shantanu said:
just coz of no eax you damn vista... ?? well Vista Gives great sound with audigy 4, the sound clarity is way better then XP itself... :p
So u think Microsoft even left creative labs behind in their sound clarity.I don't think that microsoft's sound sub system in vista is anywhere close to eax 4.0 advanced HD.They can never be close to sound software and processing experts.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Gaming on Vista : Pro’s & Con’s

faraaz said:
@allwyndlima: Easy, frame rates...at the moment, not many DX10 games are out, and the DX9 games that I am seeing are all having 10-15% less performance on a computer running Vista as against the same computer running XP.

So this, exactly, is the benchmark for performance out there.
Like you yourself said "at the moment".Plus neither ATI or Nvidia have optimised their drivers for Vista.Given that at this point it might not have the dire need to shift to Vista but let a few DX10 titles start rolling in & then we could judge as to who the real deal is.It's only been a few months since it's release & coming to a conclusion as far as performance is concerned out of the picture.

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
hwy buddy~ Wanna take things to wrong side and flames.. no probs.. well go on.. but let me tell you before you make your own perceptions that this is not the way to going on with things.. i am myself using Creative SB audigy and that supports EAX 4.0 HD but the sound which i experience in XP and the one in Vista are very different from each other.. the clarity in Vista is way better than XP .. this is what i meant and i think you must be knowing that XP is also a M$ product.. isnt it.. so better watch out before making your own perceptions... first read care fully and then write... i said better then XP ..

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!

shantanu said:
hwy buddy~ Wanna take things to wrong side and flames.. no probs.. well go on.. but let me tell you before you make your own perceptions that this is not the way to going on with things.. i am myself using Creative SB audigy and that supports EAX 4.0 HD but the sound which i experience in XP and the one in Vista are very different from each other.. the clarity in Vista is way better than XP .. this is what i meant and i think you must be knowing that XP is also a M$ product.. isnt it.. so better watch out before making your own perceptions... first read care fully and then write... i said better then XP ..

How can there be better clarity when there is no EAX? EAX is for games and not music and movies. Maybe movies and movies sound better. I could tell no difference. But when it comes to games, they are simply unplayable. Try to play games like san andreas, F.E.A.R etc in Vista. I tried playing F.E.A.R in vista. When I was shooting walls and doors it sound like I was throwing rocks at walls and doors. When I checked sound option, EAX was greyed out and defaulted to stereo output. Only certain games have 5.1 support like HL2 & CSS because they use software instead of EAX to do sound. But thats causing stuttering in the game. Without EAX its difficult to tell direction of sound. For me, most of the games are unplayable in vista because of lack of backward compatiblity with games.

shantanu

Technomancer
hey thats ok buddy! but you are just telling me the story of the movie AANKHEN as you play games with closed eyes and game just becomes unplayable due to sound.. my god.. this is the lamest excuse i have ever heard ...

just think.. well i am not saying that there should be NO EAX support.. indeed their should be .. but it does not sound like games become unplayable and all.. just think what you are saying,, VISTA IS BAD coz of no eax and i am bllind playing games ,, i shoot at enemies by hearing to sound.. wow.. great...

cynosure

UbuntuUser
shantanu said:
i shoot at enemies by hearing to sound.. wow.. great...
Then how do you play FPS strategic games?? You might not be playing these games, they are playable only when sound is good enough so one can know the direction of sound and make a guess where the enemy is located. I have not played the latest games but in Deus Ex: The conspiracy, one needs to take help from visual awa from sound to complete the game as stealthly as possible. Otherwise you always have the option to go in God mode + u/l ammo and shoot anybody on sight.

faraaz

Evil Genius
You can certainly play games on Vista without EAX...but here's the rub...when XP SP2 already HAS EAX, why the hell would you want to play games on Vista?? There aren't any DX10 games out yet either!! Unless you play Pinball for sh!ts and giggles...I dunno...you sound suspiciously like a Vista fanboy mate...

shantanu

Technomancer
hey man imav.. its not the MVP stuff.. but yes i do like Vista very much... infact i love it from the RC stage.. the BEta was horrible tough.. :D

well you all can see that in every post of mine i said that i am not saying there should be no EAX support.. indeed there should be... but its not that much compulsary as said by some people.. i have played Dues-ex and all the games (most of them) like hitman series and all and yes EAX plays a imp. role in that.. but it does not mean that i cant play without EAX, indeed i can..

Vista currently does not support EAX, but it will as the EAX versions get updated.. or more in the cases when Creative labs gives the support for EAX in Vista.. right now EAX 4 does not comes up with DX 10 requirments to be fullfilled,, thats why Vista do not gives support to EAX.. in some time it will be there...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well the thing is most of the this is not compatible this is not there comments are bogus and irrelevant coz even though MS came out with beta versions for all developers to code their softwares accordingly, a lot of them didnt for ex intel (their 865 series doesnt come with vista drivers update) so its actually not MS at fault but anti-MS people dont see that they will not see the fact that adobe sued MS for having pdf support but will say why doesnt vista come with inbuilt pdf support .... same is the case to a gr8 extent with eax, so dont worry these anti-MS guys will keep on repeating the same thing ... i have some experience in dealing with such guys :D

shantanu

Technomancer
iMav said:
well the thing is most of the this is not compatible this is not there comments are bogus and irrelevant coz even though MS came out with beta versions for all developers to code their softwares accordingly, a lot of them didnt for ex intel (their 865 series doesnt come with vista drivers update) so its actually not MS at fault but anti-MS people dont see that they will not see the fact that adobe sued MS for having pdf support but will say why doesnt vista come with inbuilt pdf support .... same is the case to a gr8 extent with eax, so dont worry these anti-MS guys will keep on repeating the same thing ... i have some experience in dealing with such guys :D

yeah ! i remember .. now... :D:D:D:D

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
thanx guys for all ur views and inputs. will be considering these for updating the article :)

shantanu

Technomancer
sorry ! for bumping in again.. well i installed FEAR today in vista.. and get it playing..now the first thing i checked was the EAX.. well well my all options are shown on and even i can change them.. and i am hearing FULL EAX sound in vista...

i dont know the reason why one or two of you guys didnt hear the EAX sound.. maybe coz your CArd does not support eax.. maybe ... :p

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!

shantanu said:
sorry ! for bumping in again.. well i installed FEAR today in vista.. and get it playing..now the first thing i checked was the EAX.. well well my all options are shown on and even i can change them.. and i am hearing FULL EAX sound in vista...

i dont know the reason why one or two of you guys didnt hear the EAX sound.. maybe coz your CArd does not support eax.. maybe ... :p
Did you install Creative Alchemy? I thought creative alchemy was only for sound blaster Xfi series.

I don't know why you got so pissed off if I felt that EAX was an essential part of immersive experience. I played deus ex using Rs45 headphones. I finished HL2 on stereo speakers. But some games like HL2 (especially lost coast) and F.E.A.R the special feel is lost without 5.1 surround sound.

Edit - Just fund out that alchemy for audigy is released but its not free

shantanu

Technomancer
i did not install alcehmy or anything.. i have only installed the game and played it right away... i just wanted to make sure the EAX settings and they were all just like XP..

and mee too playing with phillips Head phones on... and WOW what a sound.. :D

and also used my 5.1 setup for EAX sound... and its great sound with EAX

Last edited:

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Well microsoft and other sound developers are surely working on projects to help make sound in games for vista better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom