Gaming on Vista : Pro’s & Con’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
".....And finally a set of Pros and Cons about gaming on Vista:

PRO’s.

1. Hardware compatibility with Xbox 360 controllers. WOW!! Also on the way is a wireless dongle which will also give support the headset, steering wheel, controller, etc. This is specially a cool feature for those who already own an Xbox system.
2. Cross platform support with Xbox 360. This feature though not highlighted much in the upcoming titles, will allow for cross platform gaming and communication.
3. With the recent press release, we can be sure that Microsoft is committed towards Vista for Gaming. The games coming up, prove that.
4. DX10. You can hate it now, but you have to accept the fact that DX10 is very much pushing up the ante as far as graphics is concerned. Screenshots are testimony to that. Also for an extra WOW, lookup the official trailer of the game ‘Crysis’ set to release soon , which is SURE to keep you spell bound by the sheer quality of in-game graphics.
5. Parental Controls over games. Now whether this should be considered a 'Pro' or a 'Con" is debatable. Vista allows parents to allow or to block individual games, set time limits, etc. Time for kids to get smarter!
6. Launch saved games directly. Microsoft has its own ways of adding the ‘WOW effect’ and this feature is one of those. A nice addition.
7. Better multi-player functionality. Vista improves on this aspect of gaming and multi-player gaming is now really much smoother, without hitches.
8. Games Explorer. Keeps track of all the games on the system. A bit buggy currently. Let’s hope that Microsoft fixes it in the SP1 for Vista.

CON’s.
1. Compatibility problems. This is one of the main problems plaguing Windows Vista. Support for old hardware and software is lacking. So some games refuse to work, even in compatibility mode.
2. Hardware availability. Let’s face it, the amount of graphics hardware available for DX10 currently is very less and though this will change over a period of time, it is currently a major deterrent for heavy gamers to move to Vista.
3. Lack of titles. With most of the industry adopting the wait and watch strategy, has meant that there are hardly any titles available which actually harness the actual capability of DX10.
4. High Cost. Vista has high basic requirements, due to which playing games on Vista requires up-to-date and powerful hardware which is costly.
5. Shortcuts. Most of the gamers would rather prefer to have the shortcut of frequently played games on their desktop. Restricting this is an unwanted feature which can be rather irritating. "

an extract of a guest article from winvistaclub's guestzone

comments sincerly welcome :)

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Dono why ? But when people moved from win 98 to Win Xp there weren't much compatibility issues.
With Vista its altogether different ball Game. Its almost other OS platform i feel.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
i dont know anythibg about gaming. but ya i know these views... mind adding giving me more on y it sux...concretely i mean... can add it to the writeup ;-)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well for starters the games lag more, because vista takes up most of the resources it leaves the games wanting more and yeah thats about it .... most wanted on xp runs smooth and i mean really smooth with decent graphic settings where as mw on vista pauses, lags and everything even with everything set to lowest :x :(

faraaz

Evil Genius
freshseasons said:
Dono why ? But when people moved from win 98 to Win Xp there weren't much compatibility issues.

Well...that's because XP was halfway decent and didn't suck donkey balls...unlike Vista...

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Gaming on Vista : Pro’s & Con’s

LOL! Give it a break people.The OS is only in it's nascent stages & since at launch a large number of OS have their own sceptical issues Vista is no exception.When XP was first launched people complained from earth to moon about it's game compatibility issues & also a lot of software related issues but heck it became a norm later on right.I remember when I had got so used to Windows 98's simple GUI,swicthing to XP was like an unknown territory.Also those fancy menus,automatic updates,firewall protections etc seemed all too much to digest at start.But as & when we began to realise it's true advantages over 98 we ported across to it.

Keeping the same thing in mind,Vista needs time to grow.When I got my new rig it came with Vista Ultimate.Used it for a day or so & removed it the very next day & reverted to XP.But I'd still give it a shot once DX10 titles become pre-dominant & compatibility issues will be fixed.Until then can't really yank out "sucks" & "rocks" chants.;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

anandk said:
^ so tell me a little more about EAX and y its a 'con' !

EAX® is a collection of powerful, innovative audio technologies designed by Creative's world-class audio scientists to bring true interactive 3D audio to PC gaming. The sophisticated environment effects of EAX provide a greater sense of realism to the gaming experience, and enhance the overall enjoyment of the player. The additional audio cues provided by EAX can also give gamers a competitive advantage in multiplayer games, enabling the early detection of the enemy. It's therefore no surprise that EAX is well established as the premier choice for interactive 3D audio for games.

EAX was first introduced in 1998, and since then has been under continuous development with new cutting-edge technology being added to its set of features. When the Sound Blaster Audigy series was launched, a new generation of EAX was released and branded as EAX ADVANCED HD to call out the high-definition audio features that offer dramatically increased 3D audio performance and functionality.

The EAX ADVANCED HD Game Audio Library give you total audio immersion in PC gaming. It delivers superior audio fidelity and rich environment effects for an unsurpassed digital entertainment experience. It is the defacto audio standard for powering the next generation of cutting-edge PC games.

Link

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
5. Shortcuts. Most of the gamers would rather prefer to have the shortcut of frequently played games on their desktop. Restricting this is an unwanted feature which can be rather irritating. "

But,I like the idea of Vista Game Explorer and also the ESRB Ratings given to Games( which are vista compatible);)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
the con is with the performance ... ;) and if it doesnt perform no other pro makes the difference

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist

^Care to elaborate a bit more mate.What exactly are we benchmarking in terms of "performance" out here?

faraaz

Evil Genius
@allwyndlima: Easy, frame rates...at the moment, not many DX10 games are out, and the DX9 games that I am seeing are all having 10-15% less performance on a computer running Vista as against the same computer running XP.

So this, exactly, is the benchmark for performance out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom