Gaming laptop below 70K

satya1

Right off the assembly line
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD) Strictly below 70K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
I would prefer a FHD screen but it is not a deal breaker.

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
I would like to play most of the current games like BF4 etc at mid to high settings. I also do a lot of surfing with always multiple tabs open on chrome. I would also like the laptop to be somewhat future proof. I intend to use this for the next 3 years so would like play new games at least in low settings. I hope it is a reasonable expectation for this budget.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
I have short listed these 3 laptops:
1. Lenovo Y510p i5 4200M(Dual core) with GT 755M 2GB DDR5. I can buy it locally for around 66.5K. I want to know if this laptop is good enough to meet my gaming requirements. i7 version is above my budget. The laptop looks cool especially the metallic brush feel and the red backlight.

2. Dell Inspiron 15R i7 4500U AMD Radeon 8850M 2GB GDDR5. I have read some bad reviews about the i7 4500U processor. I like the build of the laptop but don't know if it can perform better than y510p i5 model.

3. Lenovo Z510 with i7 4702MQ 1 TB Hybrid drive with 8GB SSD GT 740M. This is substantially cheaper than the other two but I am not sure about the graphics card.

I would also like to know if there is any use waiting for Lenovo Y50 or Z50. Z50 rumors say that the graphics card will be 840M DDR3 version so its performance will be similar to the GT 750M DDR3 version according to notebookcheck. I think the Y50 price will be above my budget. It also doesn't have an optical drive which is a deal breaker. I am planning to buy by April end. Kindly advice.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, Lenovo, HP
b. Dislike:Acer,Samsung

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Battery back up: Normal.
Backlight is preferred.
Optical drive is a must.
Purchase place: I can buy it from Bangalore or Kochi. Kindly suggest if you know any good places to buy laptops in these two cities. I am a bit sceptical of buying the laptop online although prices are much lower online.
Kindly advice.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD) Strictly below 70K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
I would prefer a FHD screen but it is not a deal breaker.

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
I would like to play most of the current games like BF4 etc at mid to high settings. I also do a lot of surfing with always multiple tabs open on chrome. I would also like the laptop to be somewhat future proof. I intend to use this for the next 3 years so would like play new games at least in low settings. I hope it is a reasonable expectation for this budget.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
I have short listed these 3 laptops:
1. Lenovo Y510p i5 4200M(Dual core) with GT 755M 2GB DDR5. I can buy it locally for around 66.5K. I want to know if this laptop is good enough to meet my gaming requirements. i7 version is above my budget. The laptop looks cool especially the metallic brush feel and the red backlight.

2. Dell Inspiron 15R i7 4500U AMD Radeon 8850M 2GB GDDR5. I have read some bad reviews about the i7 4500U processor. I like the build of the laptop but don't know if it can perform better than y510p i5 model.

3. Lenovo Z510 with i7 4702MQ 1 TB Hybrid drive with 8GB SSD GT 740M. This is substantially cheaper than the other two but I am not sure about the graphics card.

I would also like to know if there is any use waiting for Lenovo Y50 or Z50. Z50 rumors say that the graphics card will be 840M DDR3 version so its performance will be similar to the GT 750M DDR3 version according to notebookcheck. I think the Y50 price will be above my budget. It also doesn't have an optical drive which is a deal breaker. I am planning to buy by April end. Kindly advice.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, Lenovo, HP
b. Dislike:Acer,Samsung

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Battery back up: Normal.
Backlight is preferred.
Optical drive is a must.
Purchase place: I can buy it from Bangalore or Kochi. Kindly suggest if you know any good places to buy laptops in these two cities. I am a bit sceptical of buying the laptop online although prices are much lower online.
Kindly advice.

Model No1 would perform marginally better than Model 2 in games at HD resolution(not at FHD), whereas Model 2 will offer much higher battery life.

Wouldn't recommend model 3 becuase it has a poor GPU despite the good CPU compared the previous two models

OP
S

satya1

Thanks AbhMkh and $hadow for your prompt responses. I am leaning towards y510p i5 version now. What do you guys think about what I said about waiting for Y50 or Z50? Is it a fair assessment?

$hadow

Geek in making
Thanks AbhMkh and $hadow for your prompt responses. I am leaning towards y510p i5 version now. What do you guys think about what I said about waiting for Y50 or Z50? Is it a fair assessment?

I live on the philosophy of '' if you want anything get it now. Waiting is just another sacrifice which you do for getting a product ''
So I would say get y510p now.
P. S it is my reason not from every one.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Get Y510p now. Y50 will definitely be a lot more expensive.
Prefer Nvidia over AMD for compatibility issues(think COD:Ghosts and NFS Rivals).
Dell Inspiron 15/15R has driver issues wherein upgrading GPU drivers over OEM results in the laptop going haywire. No such issues in Y510p.

OP
S

satya1

Thank you guys. You have been very helpful. It is settled then. I will get the Y510p i5 version.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
If you can buy the i7 version then go for it otherwise this will suffice. Anyways you can always upgrade the processor later.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
You can't ...............

OP try to get the i7 version of Y510p, you won't regret it

You can. Lenovo Y510p has the core i7 4700MQ and not the 4700HQ(Asus G750JX). The HQ processors are permanently soldered into the mobo whereas the MQ series are not. You just have to open up the laptop, remove the heatsink, remove the CPU and place the new CPU. CPU can be bought from here:

Intel Quad Core i7 4700MQ SR15H 2 4GHz to 3 4GHz 6MB 4th Gen CW8064701470702 | eBay

Some eBayers provide international shipping. The core i7 4702 like this one:

New Intel Core i7 4702MQ QS Only 37W 2 2GHz 3 2GHz 6M Express Worldwild | eBay

has the same TDP as the core i5 one and it gives almost 2x performance boost.

The manual here:
Hardware Maintenance Manual - IdeaPad Y410p, Y510p

details how to remove the CPU.

You can. Lenovo Y510p has the core i7 4700MQ and not the 4700HQ(Asus G750JX). The HQ processors are permanently soldered into the mobo whereas the MQ series are not. You just have to open up the laptop, remove the heatsink, remove the CPU and place the new CPU. CPU can be bought from here:

Intel Quad Core i7 4700MQ SR15H 2 4GHz to 3 4GHz 6MB 4th Gen CW8064701470702 | eBay

Some eBayers provide international shipping. The core i7 4702 like this one:

New Intel Core i7 4702MQ QS Only 37W 2 2GHz 3 2GHz 6M Express Worldwild | eBay

has the same TDP as the core i5 one and it gives almost 2x performance boost.

The manual here:
Hardware Maintenance Manual - IdeaPad Y410p, Y510p

details how to remove the CPU.
That's good........but practically no use........ What will you do with the old CPU which you just removed ?? CPUs are costly, so you can't just throw them

As far as RAMs are concerned, which are much cheaper, so throwing or giving away a 2GB RAM doesn't hurt much

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
That's good........but practically no use........ What will you do with the old CPU which you just removed ?? CPUs are costly, so you can't just throw them

As far as RAMs are concerned, which are much cheaper, so throwing or giving away a 2GB RAM doesn't hurt much

You can sell your CPU in eBay if you wish. This technique is useful when CPU is bottlenecking games. As soon as Broadwell is released, Haswell mobile CPU prices will come down drastically.

Top Bottom