Games crashing on my laptop

RoyalPain

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys, recently all my games have started crashing on my Dell laptop. I play on it for some time..and then suddenly the display freezes and there is no response to any input...Its happening on both normal games as well as steam games...i did notice that the laptop is becoming slightly heated...but it used to happen before also...also it crashes faster while playing high graphics games like AC3 and crysis 2....laptop is abt 1 year old..any help?

Config:

Processor- i7 Q2670 2.4GHz
RAM- 6GB
Video card-integrated graphics with optimus(Intel 3000 + 2GB nVidia GT 540m)
HDD-500GB
OS-Windows Home Premiuim

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
more likely due to overheating. open up your lappy and clean the dust. or use a lappy cooler.

gaming on a lappy.. man.. that too AC3 and crysis.. we use lappy to play CS1.6 on lan only..

OP
R

RoyalPain

I dont think its the case of outdated drivers. I check for and update drivers every month.

Here's a screenshot of HWmonitor: temp.jpg

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
test ram modules with memtest86+ and just by running chrome your cpu reached 60c plus in this winter - just boot up crysis 2 for mins running hwinfo/hwmonitor in background to log some "proper" load temp or better test with cinebench 11.5.

gameranand

Living to Play
Temps are higher than normal because as TG stated its winter so temps should be more like 35-40 C, not reaching 50C. If the game is starting and then crashing and its the case with every game then certainly its PC fault. What Driver version are you using, try downgrading he GPU drivers because I read many cases about game crashing due to nVidia newer drivers.

OP
R

RoyalPain

driver versions:
nVidia - 306.97
intel 3000 - 9.17.10.2875

HWmonitor while running the cinebench test :hello.jpg

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
cpu overheating issue - though the core temps are below 90c ( but this may be due to throttling ) the package temp (tcase) is just too high which should be less than 70C.

OP
R

RoyalPain

oh..So i guess i should follow Minion's advice and take it a service center for cleaning....Thanks guys for your advice....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok .. better take some professional help ;-) BTW, see if you can purchase some sort of exttended warranty for that laptop and if possible tell the technician to repair/open the laptop in front if you so you can make sure everything is OK.

gameranand

Living to Play
Ok .. better take some professional help ;-) BTW, see if you can purchase some sort of exttended warranty for that laptop and if possible tell the technician to repair/open the laptop in front if you so you can make sure everything is OK.

And then learn so that you don't have to go him again. :p

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Yeah, the warranty has expired..but I have no idea how to clean it myself....
just google [laptop model and name] service manual
you will get a manual which has the dissassembly of your laptop in detail.acer and HP have such manuals idk if dell has or not
i have an acer service manual for my laptop thats why i'm telling you

frankeric

Journeyman
better option is take it to service ceter do not try to open it all by your self or you might be stuck in some other kind of problem other than over heating.