Game of Thrones / ASoIaF - USE SPOILER TAG!!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Vox article on military tactics

Had come across few discussions which said that the battleplan was bad before the episode even aired.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Could you tell what all you felt was wrong?

I only noticed that crypt idea, to keep everyone safe was foolish

After playing Total War for many hours, here's what I can say:
- Cavalry are used to harass and flank the enemy, but in the battle they lost their entire cavalry in a full frontal charge.
- The artillery was near the front lines when they should have been placed behind the walls or at least near the wall on the outside. In the battle, the last line of defense was the at the first line of defense.
- The commanders were leading from the front lines. The commanders are units who your soldiers rally around, if your commander dies, your troops will lose morale and could break. The commanders should be commanding from behind the troops.
- The entire stratagem was around eliminating the Night King, but instead of conserving troops and slowing down the enemy until he showed up, they went all in and wasted troops before he even showed up.
- They had a good estimate of enemy numbers. They could have prepared by making more trenches to break up and tar-pit the enemy while the artillery and archers did their job thinning the enemy. Instead of a single trench with spikes, there should have been multiple trench lines.
- The whole infantry line should have been behind the spike trench and force the enemy into go over the spikes and then kill off the stragglers.

In short, there was no way these guys could survive with the current setup. The only reason they won was because of deus ex machina and plot armour.

The battle was good spectacle, don't get me wrong, but not logical in any way.

Pasapa

Live to die another day
I thought the Night king was supposed to be the ultimate Villain in GoT.. i mean they hyped him up for almost a decade and he died cause of a sneak attack...? Talk about an anti climactic ending.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I thought the Night king was supposed to be the ultimate Villain in GoT.. i mean they hyped him up for almost a decade and he died cause of a sneak attack...? Talk about an anti climactic ending.
Even Bran was hyped to be a hard counter to the Night King but what did he do?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Books not released yet..
They could have waited..

A Song of Ice and Fire - Wikipedia
Then there is a risk of losing one or more main character and recast to bring new face/s, Which will not be accepted by audience either. Only if this was an animated series.

shreeux

Movie Buff
Great to see for this GOT thread.

After several reviews and recommendations...Some fo them teasing...Due to still not watched.

So finally, Today started to watch GOT...Still long way to finish this series.

When they will complete this series?
Too many characters hard to remember...Lets see...!!!

Finally finished today till S08EP5-The Bells...Awaiting for Final Chapter.,

Started with lazy...But every episode more interesting so quickly done without any long break...Otherwise more confusing because of more characters...Even though missing something.,

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It's been kind of symbolic I think. The Mad King Aerys went crazy and killed people left and right an...

Danaerys kind of does the same. Like history repeating itself.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
S08E05

Writing went downhill this season. I'm very disappointed.

All these years you nurture a character, give it vices and virtues then make it insignificant in it's last moment.
Cersi : Just died due to roof falling on her. She's a queen and such a strong and important character and this is how she does? None would ever find out if and where she died (leaves a scope for spin-off though)

Jaimey: This character got the most commendable story arch then at this season moves around like a headless chicken!

Euron Grejoy: A let down in the name of death.

Mountain vs Hound: Of all the big names, characters these two got such an ending. These two?! You had 80 minutes for this war scene and only one glorious send off to our beloved characters.

Dany : What has the character turned out to be?! If you consider GOT history, this is kinda expected but still can't accept.

shreeux

Movie Buff
Yes, after passing 72 episodes, they cut down quickly in a single episode.

Why they end so quickly...because all are exhausted?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Season 7 Dothraki charge was much better battle than kings landing attack. The music, the tension, everything was high..
Too bad, S8 ruined GoT for good.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
This is only comparable to Dexter S08. That was total bizarre and a underwhelming finale.

GOT is heading that way.
Stopped watching after season 4 I think. This final season was not worse than anything after season 05. Feel that the writing was the same quality since they ran out of book material. If the writers would have known that the five books are all they have, then maybe they could have worked their way to the ending in a better manner. Then again, the actor who played Selmy claims that the books are already written and that Dumb and Dumber signed a deal with GRRM to not publish it till the end of the series. (skip to 31:40). Update: GRRM refuted that claim.

In either case, the books are going to at least take a different route to the end, even if the end is the same, so have high hopes for that.

Also, Empire of Ash sounds super awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom