Galaxy R showing only 6gb as against 8gb memory!!!!!

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
Hi guys :)

i recently bought a samsung galaxy r which is advertised as having 8 gb of user memory, but my fone shows around ~6gb only (~2gb internal + 4gb usb storage)
i am new to android os (coming from symbian series :-( )

the shopkeeper said that the remaining 2gb is for the OS!!
is this true???

Last edited:

rhlravi

Broken In
I guess you dont know that memory manufacturers use a different counting system for KB, MB, GB etc...
For us, 1 GB = 1024 MB = 1024x1024 kB = 1024x1024x1024 bytes

For them, 1 GB = 1000 MB = 1000x1000 kB = 1000x1000x1000 bytes

So, their 8 GB means 8,000,000,000 bytes
That means that in our notation, it is 8,000,000,000/1024/1024/1024 = 7.45 GB

So, around 550 MB is lost that way itself. As for the remaining ~1.4GB, some of it is the OS, and some is bloatware (preinstalled apps by Samsung).
Hope this helps :) .

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well a 4 gb case doesnt mean that the entire memory is usable. Some of it is already gone just like most pen driver and hard disks. So this number is ok.

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
i understand that, but 8gb cannot be shown as 6gb!!!!!!!!!!

it shows
3.75gb total usb storage and device memory as 1.9 gb

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
a 4 gb card showing 3.75 gb is 100% fine. And how much total storage does the phone have?[only phone memory?]
2 gb? if yes than the number shows is ok. Even my own 4 gig flash drive shows 3.75 gb. If you are unsure how much the phone has alone check the box. Should be written.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I guess the box means 4 gb internal + 4 gb memory card. In any case the shopkeeper seems correct. Android seems to have hogged away your memory. So now you are left with 2 gigs of usable memory. Even my iPod Touch which should be 8 gb but shows 6.54 gb available. iOS seems to have eaten a lot of memory. This seems the same case with you where Android has reserved memory. You have 8 gb but only aroune 6 gb is usable.

OP
vishalg

vishalg

AMD Fanboy
that must be the case i guess, as i cannot find the division of 8gb in internal & external memory

is it common on android devices to reserve ~2gb of memory??

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^u wont see a full memory capacity...& this is same for all memory devices.
even my 8GB ipod touch shows 6.5GB ;)

rhlravi

Broken In
I gave the first reply in a long post explaining this, but it still has not been approved by mods :(

Update: Ah, finally approved :)

Top Bottom