Gainward the highest OCer in 6600gt series + Voltage Modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

quad master

In the zone
The Gainward 6600GT Overclocking + Voltage Modding

Note:- I deserve not credit for the overclocking or voltage modding.
Its the hardwork of other people.
I also wanted you to know this thing so i am sharing it with you.
Any credit for this completely goes to the people who made it possible.

Full Article:- *www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=16

Test System:- Abit AA8XE , 2 x 512Mb Micron E. S. DDR2 Memory

*www.vr-zone.com.sg/Shamino/6600gt/1.JPG

Voltage Modding

The Gainward 6600GT PCI Express card is a pretty simple card to voltage mod. I would assume that many of the PCI Express cards can be modded the same way after scanning the back of these cards. We start off with measuring the GPU core voltage.

*www.vr-zone.com.sg/Shamino/6600gt/vgpumeasure.JPG

You can measure the VGPU at the pin shown above, which is located behind the card. Simply touch the red tip of your multimeter to point and black tip of your multimeter to any grounded spot. Default voltage is 1.24v at before loading windows. To increase voltage, solder a 10K ohms variable resistor to each ends of the resistor shown, which is located at the front of the card.

*www.vr-zone.com.sg/Shamino/6600gt/vgpumod.JPG

The original resistance is 550 ohms. Set 10K VR at maximum resistance and tune down to increase voltage.

You can also use a pencil to voltage mod if you're not comfortable with soldering. Use a 2B pencil and pencil the same resistor:

*www.vr-zone.com.sg/Shamino/6600gt/pencil.JPG

Default resistance of the resistor is 550 ohms. You should measure this before penciling. Pencil stroke by stroke and measure the resistance. Each drop of 25 ohms will give you roughly 0.05v more. Reducing from 550 ohms to 480 ohms gives me 1.4v at start up, about 0.15v extra. Of course, do remember to put on a tape over the area so the graphite doesn't get blown off.

And so we ran 1.75v with a pencil mod instead of the usual 1.45v. We decided to mount on a big heatsink to the GPU core with the help of some trusty cable ties

The cooling worked great... even with increased voltage, the temperatures are much cooler

*www.vr-zone.com.sg/Shamino/6600gt/testrig.JPG

And we clocked her up to 658Mhz Core,1375Mhz Memory! That's 158Mhz increase in core and 375Mhz increase in memory!

Results:-

3D Marks 2003
*www.vr-zone.com.sg/Shamino/6600gt/10689.JPG

3D Marks 2005
*www.vr-zone.com.sg/Shamino/6600gt/3926.JPG

They say that the voltage mod can also be tried on other 6600gt's

Your link doesn't work -

*www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=16

BTW, you could have just linked to the article instead of trying to reproduce it here. Interesting article nonetheless. Try *www.themodfathers.com/ for more crazy stuff. They had one on nitrogen cooling sometime back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom