Gaim is now Pidgin IM

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Announced on the Gaim mailing lists yesterday, the Gaim project is being renamed. This follows a lengthy and, unfortunately, secret legal process with AOL, which also prevented any code releases except betas. The project will now be known as Pidgin IM. Development is being migrated off of sourceforge.net as well and is now being hosted on developer.pidgin.im

[Source]

eddie

El mooooo
God AOL guys are such frigging losers :mad:

Anyways...its good to know that it everything is over now. I so wish that Pidgin releases 2.0.0 soon and start to merge gaim-vv in the main branch. That will make this program invincible.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Indyan said:
Well, they are being aggresive, but atleast they have a reasonable reason to complain about.
If you call that reasonable I wonder where you reason from. :rolleyes:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Pallab you should read the article first. Here's the quote from the article
Many years ago when this project was first started, it was called "GTK+ AOL Instant Messenger." AOL naturally complained, and Mark Spencer changed the name to "Gaim." AOL was appeased, and no one really ever heard of it because there were very few users back then.

A few years later AOL trademarked "AIM," and started referring to their IM services using that name.
So, you see it was GAIM that came first then came AIM. When GTK+ AOL Instant Messenger was changed to GAIM, there was no AIM then only AOL Instant Messenger. So, that's in no way reasonable, atleast to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom