FX 8320 temperature control.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
I am in a bit of a tricky situation.
I have the FX 8320 and I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212x installed along with CM thermal fusion 400 paste.
Idle temp:- 16/17 and prime95 for two hours -> Core temperature is 52~53 degrees and socket is 68 degrees, which is fine I guess.

The problem is when I start gaming. Played battlefield 4 and watchdogs for about 2 hours. When I quit the game, HWmonitor showed that the cpu core temp had reached 68 degrees. Socket temp was 68 as well.

I guess the reason the temperature here is more than during prime95 test, is because of the extra heat being generated by the graphics card(GPU hits 67 degrees max. I am controlling temps using afterburner fan control).

So how do I keep cpu temps below 60 while gaming?

Will exhaust/intake fans help?? Currently I have a 140mm intake in the front and a 140 mm exhaust+120mm exhaust at the back and rear of the cabinet.

Techguy

In the zone
67C seems fine. Temps are good. Don't Worry. An exhaust might work if your graphics card is venting heat into the case.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ You must have misread or misunderstood the post.
I am not worried about GPU temperature.
I am worried about the rise in temperature of the cpu core. Apparently 62 is considered safe. And I am hitting 68 on the cores while gaming.
But prime95 for 2-3 hours cannot take it past 53.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Intake fans:- One 140mm in front of the hard drive bays.
Exhaust fans:- One 120 mm rear exhaust fan and One 140mm top exhaust.

The hyper 212x is set up horizontally. So it pulls air from the bottom and pushes it out the top towards the 140mm exhaust.

I think that is where the issue is. The 212x fan is pulling in the hot air from the GPU.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent

The hyper 212x is set up horizontally. So it pulls air from the bottom and pushes it out the top towards the 140mm exhaust.

I think that is where the issue is. The 212x fan is pulling in the hot air from the GPU.

Right.
Probably reorient it.
BTW 67 although is on higher side but still is safe IMO

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Resetting the direction of the fan will be such a pain ~_~
But I guess I have to do it. If its reaching 67/68 in this weather,then it will surely reach 75 in the summers. And the safe temp is only 62. -_-

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Resetting the direction of the fan will be such a pain ~_~
But I guess I have to do it. If its reaching 67/68 in this weather,then it will surely reach 75 in the summers. And the safe temp is only 62. -_-

What is it now? Winter? :?:

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Umm...it isn't winter but it isn't as hot as it was a week or so ago. Rains have moved in so temperatures outside have dropped from 39/41 to 29/31.
That has to have an impact on the temperatures unless I am wrong.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
It is already summer. Aren't you in India?

it is the monsoon season in Kerala ;)

try a side intake fan.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do P95 test with small and large FFT. Post if there's any temps difference.
Use HWinfo for temp monitoring.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION] Same result. Cpu isn't crossing 52 degrees.

I'm fairly certain its reaching 67 during gaming because of the extra heat generated by the gpu.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
I'll try a side intake fan first.
Is the coolermaster xtraflow good? I hear its for airflow and the sickleflows are for radiators are heatsinks since they are static pressure fans.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I'll try a side intake fan first.
Is the coolermaster xtraflow good? I hear its for airflow and the sickleflows are for radiators are heatsinks since they are static pressure fans.

See you may use radiator fans for cabinets but reverse is not true.
Also the fans you selected are really bad when placed as intake with a grille. These fans will give a very annoying whistle.

See actually your cooling is based on -ve pressure model (outgoing air > incoming air), this causes the hot air to be sucked back in, so instead of buying a new fan firstly try to do a +ve pressure setup where intake amount is greater. If that makes a difference let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW if you want a new fan anyway I suggest you to get a high airflow fan like Xtraflo & place it as intake.
Also if you could apply little tricks then may be you could use fan like Silverstone air pentrator AP-121 to direct a beam of air straight to either CPU or GPU.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
^ My bad I confused dust with cooling. :|

This might Help : Airflow 101: Setting Up Your Fans and Keeping Your Computer Cool - Cooling - CPUs

Top Bottom