Fresh blow to Elon Musk's Tesla as India rejects call for tax breaks

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/busine...breaks-in-fresh-blow/articleshow/89346068.cms

This is why India is not upgrading like other countries.

Tesla is just a Audi or BMW for India, nothing groundbreaking honestly. Not sure how EVs will work in India, esp for 4 wheelers. For 2 wheelers, removable battery is the solution.

ankushv

Journeyman
Also the tata ev cars cost twice as much is their ICE counterparts .
Not value for money unless you are explicitly environmentally conscious.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Also the tata ev cars cost twice as much is their ICE counterparts .
Not value for money unless you are explicitly environmentally conscious.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
India is still far away from sustainable energy generation. I feel EV 4 wheelers are just a rich person's toy for now. But EV 2 wheelers with swappable battery is promising, hopefully, Bounce Infinity E1 & Simple One are actually good when they hit the road.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I may sound stupid, but why are we moving towards electric cars, doesnt ev require electricity and electricity majorly comes from coal especially in india which is again not environment friendly?

I may sound stupid, but why are we moving towards electric cars, doesnt ev require electricity and electricity majorly comes from coal especially in india which is again not environment friendly?
Energy can move towards sustainable ones in future. Even with coal, in the long run EVs produce less emission even though EV manufacturing itself is more environmentally damaging vs IC car manufacturing.

EVs smash petrol cars on emissions, even with a coal-powered grid
The study, published by Transport Energy/Emission Research (TER), makes a detailed comparison of emissions from internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles, and battery electric vehicles (BEVs). It finds that, even with Australia’s 2018 energy mix of around 80 per cent fuel (mostly coal) and 20 per cent renewables, transport emissions would fall by between 16 and 40 per cent if the fleet was fully electric.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
It's easier to replace a few hundred polluting power plants than it is to replace millions of small vehicles.

That and production of oil itself is hugely polluting.

Sarath

iDota
Personal: EVs are convenient and since most of us don't drive around the entire day so charging times are not a problem, less service costs, cheaper to run and maintain.

Locally: More people buy EVs the lower the cost (not useful as a early adopter), more EVs more charging stations (definitely a win for all), but the biggest advantage of all- just imagine waiting at the signal and rolling down your windows and getting a gust of fresh air in instead of guessing if it's a diesel or petrol car in front of you and finally concluding it's kerosene

Environmentally: No one actually cares about the environment so I won't comment on that. I mean for real like reducing flushes, taking less frequent baths, not washing your car with water, taking trains instead of flights, carpooling actively, turning off the lights outside your home as in the corridor stairs etc etc

Nationally: More EVs there are less reliance of fossil fuel which is not an indigenous product. So less manipulation by oil producers. Maybe less inflation due to external factors. I am aware that diesel/petrol is not the only petroleum product we are dependent on but it's safe to say it is the most expensive one. Coal firing plants are very efficient for now so carbon footprint won't be proportional to ICE. Also if the Thorium research comes to fruition then we might have even cheaper and efficient electricity.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
basically carbon footprint is aimed at individuals rather than the massive corporations who are responsible for major pollution and environmental damage they cause like intoxicating rivers, seas , exploiting natural resources without any barriers(or neglecting barriers by lobbying) which results in ecological damage , water supply problem
etc
making shitty products(which isnt really either a necessity or need), products aimed at planned obsolescence out of a limited resource that we call earth(no modularity or upgradability)
smartphones are classic examples for planned obsolescence(i've seen people in tv shows saying/reviewing that "this purchase would be fine for 6 months")

when shit happens it all comes down to the individual because thats a good direction for the cronies, its basically asking you to hold an umbrella against a never ending rain(mainly caused by them). flood will take u eventually (only the common man tho)
there is often a conspiracy on capitalist giants trying to exterminate good inventions just because it may replace their product . i wonder if its true(the one from Nikola Tesla is considered true)
"every steep hill has a descending stage i'm waiting for the castle made of white lies to fall and crumble"

now about evs- evs are considered more easy to repair or serviced by individuals, but companies are lobbying for "safety" of user to not let them repair anything so that they may get more recurring cash and tesla is on the forefront of it , i hope they wont come here and i hope people would set apart their convenience against the money squeeze (it will cheaper at beginning , once the majority becomes relied on it, then they will extort the pulp out everyone)

@Sarath Just saying, even though I might agree that charging times are not an issue for daily commuters who travel maybe just 10-40kms per day, but the problem is charging itself. How will you charge? I myself don't live in a big residential apartment complex with individual parking for everyone. This is India, here people in cities don't have private parking, yet buy vehicles, so how will you get a charger in road side?

As I mentioned earlier, swappable batteries seem like the future for 2 wheeler EVs. For 2 wheelers, I feel if real-world battery life is like 80km or so, it should be enough for most, but more the merrier. You can just carry the battery to your home & charge it overnight.

For cars, some innovative new solutions will likely come up. Battery swapping stations is possible, but time will tell. I don't see super fast 10min charging becoming economical anytime soon.

Sarath

iDota
@Sarath Just saying, even though I might agree that charging times are not an issue for daily commuters who travel maybe just 10-40kms per day, but the problem is charging itself. How will you charge? I myself don't live in a big residential apartment complex with individual parking for everyone. This is India, here people in cities don't have private parking, yet buy vehicles, so how will you get a charger in road side?

As I mentioned earlier, swappable batteries seem like the future for 2 wheeler EVs. For 2 wheelers, I feel if real-world battery life is like 80km or so, it should be enough for most, but more the merrier. You can just carry the battery to your home & charge it overnight.

For cars, some innovative new solutions will likely come up. Battery swapping stations is possible, but time will tell. I don't see super fast 10min charging becoming economical anytime soon.

I will be honest, I don't really have a solution to the first para that you mentioned. This can also be extended to villages and towns where you might face a similar conundrum. Today they can come to the city and buy their car of choice and simply drive it back to their town/village. Fast EV adoption will again marginalise these groups.

As for swappable batteries, for two wheelers it makes a lot of sense but for 4 wheeler s and more the infrastructure to swap batteries will be prohibitively expensive. Also it's better for users as you don't have to junk your car at the end of 8-10 years when the battery degradation has made your vehicle unusable. At the same time companies have to bear the brunt of batteries which are a depreciating asset and if it being used as a utility then not a very profitable one. Not sure they will bite, even though it makes sense in the long run. Because every 4-5 years you would get access to newer battery technology as long as your car motors are running well. Good for consumers, not for corporate.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Environmentally: No one actually cares about the environment so I won't comment on that. I mean for real like reducing flushes, taking less frequent baths, not washing your car with water, taking trains instead of flights, carpooling actively, turning off the lights outside your home as in the corridor stairs etc etc
I would like to add that 70%+ of carbon emissions in the world are caused by just a handful of companies. So even if you follow a strict regimen to reduce your carbon footprint, all of your efforts are just a drop in the ocean.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
I would like to add that 70%+ of carbon emissions in the world are caused by just a handful of companies. So even if you follow a strict regimen to reduce your carbon footprint, all of your efforts are just a drop in the ocean.

its just a narrative to suit the needs of the richest of riches

Sarath

iDota
All or most of those emission are to make products for end consumers like us. No matter which way we look at it we are hand in glove with the big corporations; hiding behind the veil of the common man.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Inside the city as long as you can charge your car overnight and have a "safe" range of 300km+ you're good.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
All or most of those emission are to make products for end consumers like us. No matter which way we look at it we are hand in glove with the big corporations; hiding behind the veil of the common man.
It's a weird chicken-and-egg kind of scene. But then again the consumers don't own the means of production, so it's upto the companies to conduct their production responsibly.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
money over morale
, they lobbied that smoking is neither addictive(testified infront of congress) nor people are at risk of cancer , millions got addicted and its still surviving
exxon knew of climate impact due to fossil fuels but chose to not speak about it , tried to not accept climate change theories
facebook papers - did not try to stop hate / toxic spread , coz hate breeds more attention and "mow attention mow monies" let the world burn , let people kill each other we just need money (non disclosure statements to hide all that) , zucker is still unpunished although hes the head of fb
byjus is another example of selling dreams to families who sees their children as some sort of a race horse

as long as it makes money they'd go all out to brainwash people
people are to be blamed for all these? even if they' re the only people who knows theyre products and risks
u make bad products > baitem >makem depended > then blames the people (people taking it seriously) what a lousy joke

Sarath

iDota
money over morale
they lobbied that smoking is neither addictive(testified infront of congress) nor people are at risk of cancer , millions got addicted and its still surviving
Humans have been smoking for thousands of years. The fact was that life expectancy was so low throughout history that no one knew to specifically blame smoking. You could just die by eating bad fish or drinking from a different pool of water in a matter of days / weeks. Smoking in comparison took years to kill anyone and that too through secondary effects. The lobby part came in when tobacco got industrialized. No more buying tobacco, then buying rolling paper or a pipe, learning how to use them etc. Filtered cigarettes were introduced as a means of fooling people into thinking that smoking was safe. Many studies were doctored into saying smoking was not related to cardiovascular diseases. Later all this was found to be true. Smoking adverts were banned. Age and sale restrictions were placed. Taxes were increased. Come to the present day, despite a ban on advertisements and an ocean of data available online regarding the ill effects of smoking, the sales of tobacco products is still very high. It's the people again consuming what they desire. In fact due to the increase in taxes on tobacco products, the farmer who produce tobacco are seeing their crop stolen and sold in the black market.
exxon knew of climate impact due to fossil fuels but chose to not speak about it , tried to not accept climate change theories
Exxon accepting climate change theories will not change anything for us. We will still buy their oil. Their evil lies in the fact that they fund both climate change researchers and deniers. They are playing both sides on the field. All the while, we continue to consume their products no matter the evil they unleash.
facebook papers - did not try to stop hate / toxic spread , coz hate breeds more attention and "mow attention mow monies" let the world burn , let people kill each other we just need money (non disclosure statements to hide all that) , zucker is still unpunished although hes the head of fb
byjus is another example of selling dreams to families who sees their children as some sort of a race horse
Facebook and Byjus are pure evil. There is no salvaging them.

------------------------------

Today the corporations are morally more corrupt than any time in history. At the same time, the people of the world are also the most corrupt they have ever been.

Top Bottom