Free Linux Course

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Rs. 1.5 lakh Linux course to be available for free online this summer Software | Softwares | ThinkDigit News

The Linux Foundation has announced that it will be providing access to an “Introduction to Linux” course for free through edX, an e-learning website backed by Harvard and MIT. The course which will go live this summer, usually costs $2,400 (Rs. 1.46 lakhs) but will be made accessible for free to anyone with an Internet connection. The primary objective behind this decision, according to the Executive Director of the Linux Foundation, Jim Zemlin, is to “advance Linux and that includes ensuring we have a talent pool of Linux professionals.”

So, should I go for it?

snap

Lurker
*www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621 is this the one? and what is the minimum fee required for verified certificate?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
*www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621 is this the one? and what is the minimum fee required for verified certificate?

$250 is required for a verified certificate. But if you can't shell that you can apply for "free honor code certificate of achievement".
I applied. Its to be started at just at the right time. 3rd quarter of this year.

Inceptionist

Journeyman
From the website posted by snap

School: LinuxFoundationX
Course Code: LFS101x
Classes Start: 3rd Quarter 2014
Estimated effort: Most users will find that thoroughly covering the material will take anywhere from 40 to 60 hours

3rd quarter, between July-September.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
^^ They have automated graders for their exams or have staff check out problem set. MIT's 6.00X(Intro to CS using Python) has automatic graders for Problem Sets. Whereas, Harvard's CS50x has course staff check out your code after you submit your code and grades are assigned.

is the course visual? like online classes, more info would be useful :)

Yeah, videos will be uploaded every week with other course material which you can download or stream.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
$250 is required for a verified certificate. But if you can't shell that you can apply for "free honor code certificate of achievement".
I applied. Its to be started at just at the right time. 3rd quarter of this year.
So, what was the reason you gave for not opting for paid certificate??

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So, what was the reason you gave for not opting for paid certificate??

Write what is correct.
I just wrote its expensive for me at that moment. But I will sure like to help participate in open source projects or Ubuntu's development when I get trained enough.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Anyone actually completed this course?

Completed it a while back. Although it was pretty easy, it will give people with no prior experience of Linux a good start.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Completed it a while back. Although it was pretty easy, it will give people with no prior experience of Linux a good start.

Forgot about this :\

couldn't start :(
came up with some other study related stuff

For free Linux course you can take help of online educational videos and online study materials and books available in various sites, if you are able to learn it yourself then you don't need to join any class for this.

Even I couldn't complete the course, but don't you guys worry, for version 2 of this Linux course will start from next month! :D
And this new version is version 1 fixed! ;)

Register here: *www.edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-2

ankush28

Bazinga

*i.imgur.com/xuegqP8.png

It was way easy as I already learned little bit linux by breaking things all the time :p
Now signed up for MIT 6.00.1x

Top Bottom