Free ASP editor and preview..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjithbajpe

Journeyman
Hi All,
I need a free ASP Editor . Please anyone suggest one?
How to preview pages designed in Asp in pc without internet connection.

Please anyone...???

tuxfan

Technomancer
You need Personal Web Server from Microsoft to view ASP pages offline. PWS is free. Find it out at M$ website or it will be there with Windows (not XP home).

You can use any text editor including notepad (pretty boring). You can also use 1stPage2000.

But if there is no specific strong reason to use ASP, I would recommend PHP. Its free, pretty powerful and your pages will work on Windows as well as Linux servers. With ASP you will be stuck with Windows servers and Windows server spaces are about 50% more expensive then Linux server spaces.

OP
R

ranjithbajpe

Journeyman
HI ,
Thanks, But can u please tell me how to install or find PWS or IIS in XP proffesional?
ANd hwo to view pages . WHen i tried to stored pages in root directory and clciked on index file, only asp coding was displayed.
please help

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi,

Try Webmatrix for ASP.NET.
Its free (I believe) and u might need .NET framework for it...

U can preview with installing any webserver...

Regards,
Ramprasad

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
For Win XP >>

If you are running Windows XP Professional on your computer you can install Microsoft's web server, Internet Information Server 5.1 (IIS) for free from the Windows XP Pro installation CD and configure it to run on your system by following the instructions below: -

1. Place the Windows XP Professional CD-Rom into your CD-Rom Drive.

2. Open 'Add/Remove Windows Components' found in 'Add/Remove Programs' in the 'Control Panel'.

3. Place a tick in the check box for 'Internet Information Services (IIS)' leaving all the default installation settings intact.

4. Once IIS is installed on your machine you can view your home page in a web browser by typing '*localhost' (you can substitute 'localhost' for the name of your computer) into the address bar of your web browser. If you have not placed your web site into the default directory you should now be looking at the IIS documentation.

5. If you are not sure of the name of your computer right-click on the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop, select 'Properties' from the shortcut menu, and click on the 'Computer Name' tab.

6. Your default web directory to place your web site in is 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot', but if you don't want to over write the IIS documentation found in this directory you can set up your own virtual directory through the 'Internet Information Services' console.

7. The 'Internet Information Services' console can be found in the 'Administration Tools' in the 'Control Panel' under 'Performance and Maintenance', if you do not have the control panel in Classic View.

8. Double-click on the 'Internet Information Services' icon.

8. Once the 'Internet Information Services' console is open you will see any IIS web services you have running on your machine including the SMTP server and FTP server, if you chose to install them with IIS.

9. To add a new virtual directory right click on 'Default Web Site' and select 'New', followed by 'Virtual Directory', from the drop down list.

7. Next you will see the 'Virtual Directory Creation Wizard' from the first screen click the 'next' button.

9. You will then be asked to type in an 'Alias' by which you will access the virtual directory from your web browser (this is the name you will type into your web browser after 'localhost' to view any web pages you place in the directory).

10. Next you will see a 'Browse...' button, click on this to select the directory your web site pages are in on your computer, after which click on the 'next' button to continue.

11. On the final part of the wizard you will see a series of boxes, if you are not worried about security then select them all, if you are and want to run ASP scripts then check the first two, followed by the 'next' button.

12. Once the virtual directory is created you can view the web pages in the folder by typing '*localhost/aliasName' (where 'aliasName' is, place the alias you called the virtual directory) into the address bar of your web browser (you can substitute 'localhost' for the name of your computer if you wish).

For Win 98 >>

If you are running Windows 98 on your computer you can install Microsoft's Personal Web Server (PWS) for free from the Windows 98 installation CD and configure it to run on your system by following the instructions below: -

1. Place the Windows 98 CD-Rom into your CD-Rom Drive.

2. From the Windows 98 autorun CD menu select 'Browse This CD'.

3. From Windows Explorer select the folder 'add-ons' followed by the folder 'pws'.

4. Double-click on the setup.exe file found in the PWS directory. This will then start the installation of Personal Web Server (PWS).

5. Choose the 'Minimum' installation for PWS and leave it on all the default settings.

6. Once PWS is installed on your machine and you have rebooted as long as all has gone well you should see the icon, shown on the right, in the task bar at the bottom right hand corner of your desktop next to the clock. Personal Web Manager Icon

7. Double-click on this icon to open the 'Personal Web Manager' from which you can configure PWS.

8. Once the Personal Web Manager is open you will see the Main dialog box were it will show your home page and home directory default values. Where the home page is shown below as '*My_Computer', will be '*' followed by the name of your computer. Clicking on each of these values will open your home page in your default web browser or open the default home directory in Windows Explorer.

9. To view your home page in a web browser type '*My_Computer' (substitute 'My_Computer' for the name of your computer) into the address bar of your web browser. If you are not sure of the name of your computer then double-click on the 'Network' icon in the 'Control Panel', and click on the 'Network Identification' tab.

10. Until you place your own web site in the default directory for the web servers home page you should now be looking at the documentation for PWS.

11. To place your own web site in place of the PWS documentation in your home page you need to place your own web page in the 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot' directory making sure the page is called Default.htm or Default.asp. Now when you type '* followed by your computer name', into your web browser you should see your own home page.

----------------------------------------------
^C ^P
---------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom