Formatting and reinstalling OS without CD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Is it possible to format the HD and reinstall OS (XP home) without the CD drive working?

If yes, kindly post how?

Thanks.

ps - will external usb writer/HD work?

Kniwor

Learner
well they say copy the files and run the setup, but never tried it. Linux is easy though, you could use linux till u get cdrom.

I could not stop myself from asking that what is the deal with your avatar, a rather unusual avatar... tooo weird .

DukeNukem

Come get Some
a_medico said:
Is it possible to format the HD and reinstall OS (XP home) without the CD drive working?

If yes, kindly post how?

Thanks.

ps - will external usb writer/HD work?
make bootable floopies of xphome (u need good 6 ones) (make it 12 for just in case, lol) boot from it and start the setup from HDD

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
my laptop HD has just a single partition. If I format it, even the copied CD data will vanish, isn't it?

Is it possible to copy WinXP cd on the HD anyway? I heard it doesnt work.

rajasekharan

Youngling
Ok mate . . You can copy the xp cd using image wizard like nero or alcohole :).
Once you get the image copied to hdd use daemon tool or alcohole and mount the image. And run the setup or auto run and install xp :). Simple :). Oh by the way dont unmount the demon or alcohole and dont format the drive in which the image is stored also where alcohole or demon is installed

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
rajasekharan said:
Oh by the way dont unmount the demon or alcohole and dont format the drive in which the image is stored also where alcohole or demon is installed
So you expect Daemon's drive emulation to work during a windows installation after the first reboot huh..?? I guess it would not work out.

@a_medico - copying Win XP CD to your HD will work. Create a new partition in your HDD, copy your XP cd contents to it and go ahead with the installation.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
^^
Don't guess. It's obvious that application based on windows platform will not work without windows platform. After first reboot, no image, no emulation will work. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom