Foresight Linux Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
mehulved said:
OK I just checked, pin-helper is just a shell script.
So, create a text file and name it as pin-helper and add the following content to it,
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo -n "PIN:"
cat /etc/bluetooth/pin
Now save it. Open the /etc/bluetooth folder in natilus and right click on the file and click on properties, go to permissions tab
Give read and execute permission for everyone and write permission, too, for root.

I have done it but problem still exists. Some how that stupid "BlueZ" code isn't leaving me. I think that is the culprit. And the biggest problem is after every time I try dialing in Linux, I have to pair once again in Windows too!

Alright, I have decided to wipe out Foresight as of now and install some other popular distro.
Now to uninstall Foresight, first thing to uninstall is GRUB from MBR. I don't have Windows XP installation CD becoz Windows XP came preinstalled in my lappy.
Now to restore MBR, I am thinking of using Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. It has MBR FIX tool. I want to confirm from you whether it's safe to use it...

After I remove GRUB from MBR, I can format Linux partitions right away.

Last edited:
OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Ok..I will go for Ubuntu. Downloading it now....

In meanwhile, did anybody uninstall GRUB using Ultimate Boot CD in a dual boot system (Windows XP)?

freebird

Debian Rocks!
the think is if grub exists now also and u can login to Windows,U can try something :
mbrfix:
Usage:

MbrFix /drive <num> <command> { /yes } { /byte }
Requirements:

The program is made for Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista and Windows PE. Both 32-bit and 64-bit x64 editions are supported.
You need administrative privileges to make it work!
Purpose:

Perform several Master Boot Record (MBR) tasks, like backing up, restoring, fixing the boot code in the MBR, etc. The utility should not be used for GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks. The utility now, by popular demand, also come in a x64-version running unde x64-editions of Windows and PE.
*www.sysint.no/Nedlasting/MbrFix.htm

Hmm...but u said ur gonna have Ubuntu soon.so what's the soltn? u remove the grub from foresight and Ubuntu will install grub once its installed!.
if u r booting to Windows mostly,just have MBR with windows boot record.
meanwhile make a grub-cd/floppy.make in cmos bios floppy as 1st boot device,probe the grub floppy and it will boot u ubuntu.
^i posted this bcoz I think u mostly uses windowz na?

*www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Creating-a-GRUB-boot-floppy.html

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
freebird said:
the think is if grub exists now also and u can login to Windows,U can try something :
mbrfix:
*www.sysint.no/Nedlasting/MbrFix.htm

Hmm...but u said ur gonna have Ubuntu soon.so what's the soltn? u remove the grub from foresight and Ubuntu will install grub once its installed!.
if u r booting to Windows mostly,just have MBR with windows boot record.
meanwhile make a grub-cd/floppy.make in cmos bios floppy as 1st boot device,probe the grub floppy and it will boot u ubuntu.
^i posted this bcoz I think u mostly uses windowz na?

*www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Creating-a-GRUB-boot-floppy.html

So do mean to say that there will be no problem if I install Ubuntu directly over the partitions of foresight? Will Ubuntu remove the foresight option and retain Windows XP automatically? Thanks for the MBR fix tool.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
I though u r removing foresight right?then just format and use the same space else new logical partns is the way.Ubuntu Will install GRUB after installation is over.
I just tipped u reg grub can be a "carry-bag" option-grub floppy.ie when u boot ur using windows mbr and directly windows, no grub.but when u want to use ubuntu,just boot with grub-boot floppy or boot-cd.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
freebird said:
I though u r removing foresight right?then just format and use the same space else new logical partns is the way.Ubuntu Will install GRUB after installation is over.
I just tipped u reg grub can be a "carry-bag" option-grub floppy.ie when u boot ur using windows mbr and directly windows, no grub.but when u want to use ubuntu,just boot with grub-boot floppy or boot-cd.

You are right. I am going to wipe out Foresight. But what I am saying is whether I can install Ubuntu without uninstalling foresight?...

Present Situation:

GRUB LOAD: Foresight (default boot after 6 sec)
Windows XP

Desired Situation:

GRUB LOAD: Ubuntu
Windows XP

1. So is there any need for me to uninstall Foresight and Grub and then install Ubuntu which will again install Grub

OR

2. Can I over-right Ubuntu on Foresight partition.

And ya, there is no need for me to boot grub using a CD, as I don't mind grub booting in HDD and giving me OS options.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yes, you can overwrite the foresight linux partition by ubuntu during installation. Just that you will have to do manual partitioning. Use the same swap space and mount it as swap, then mount the partition on which foresight is installed as / and there should be some option where you can select format partition.
As to grub, just install grub on MBR during the installation of ubuntu.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
mehulved said:
Yes, you can overwrite the foresight linux partition by ubuntu during installation. Just that you will have to do manual partitioning. Use the same swap space and mount it as swap, then mount the partition on which foresight is installed as / and there should be some option where you can select format partition.
As to grub, just install grub on MBR during the installation of ubuntu.

Will that wipe of Foresight entry in boot record OS options or will there be a dummy foresight entry?

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
mehulved said:
there will be no trace of foresight if done properly.

Oh ya...I remember now that while installing Linux, it asks for boot options to be included in GRUB. We can add or delete the OS options in GRUB. It was there in foresight. I guess it must be in Ubuntu too.

mediator

Technomancer
If u r installing Linux just to experience it, then use Knoppix. Its gr8!

About ur desired situation :D, u must visit Feisty. Yea u have to do extra effort and some more installation work becoz they don't provide u with proprietary stuff in the CD.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
^^^ Dude, you are again putting me in dilemma. 300 distros to choose from! After some research, I filtered out Ubuntu, Open Suse and Mandriva.

Open Suse is resource hungry, hence no to it...
Mandriva is having great looks, but some propriety issues hence no...
Ubuntu- Most popular, hence big community... So decided this one.
Prakash suggested Kubuntu, but it is good distro for KDE. I am interested in GNOME, Ubuntu a good one for it.

Now you are recommending Knoppix...Lol! What are the advantages for this now?

mediator

Technomancer
:D
Knoppix is a debian based, "live CD" distro. It has almost everything u need. If u want to get a hang of linux before installing it, then its great. Before installing Ubuntu I had installed knoppix on my hardisk and found both almost the same. So its not a dilemma as I'm not suggesting to install it. Just download it and burn the iso in a CD and do a boot from CD. Thats it. If u like it then u can always install it on the hardisk.

So I also suggest u to use Ubuntu first coz its good for beginners, but u may use knoppix too. Its neither a burden nor causes dilemma. Knoppix is actually a very handy piece too if ur grub corrupts after installing windows. U can repair it straight from knoppix. So having a knoppix Live CD in ur collection is great and very helpful!

mehulved

Just that Knoppix doesn't have that community support and documents that a distro like gentoo and ubuntu have. These things matter a lot to new users.
And well having a Knoppix live cd around is useful anyday even if you are never going to use linux again. It's the best recovery and diagonistic tool out there.
But, if you're gonna install it to hard disk, better go for ubuntu mainly for the reason it has a bigger community.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
for GNOME,the best is Debian Desktop(myself using it),then Ubuntu with lot of customizations,Vida Linux(based on Gentoo),slackware with Dropline GNOME and many other GNOME support.
u can move from one debian distro to other (mostly) with Knoppix(in this u can install GNOME later),Debian,Ubuntu,Mepis,freespire etc..thats the beauty of apt and dpkg. :)

My request is all Windows to Linux movers please go to *distrowatch.com and research which distro suits u.personally my answer is Debian(based) Though

Last edited:

mehulved

Suggesting slackware to someone who won't be using CLI? I don't see how people could work in slackware without CLI. It will take an hour to do a job worth 5 mins :lol:

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Hmm..now debian! Please don't erupt another distro war here. I am gonna install Ubuntu and as mediator and mehul suggested, I will also have a live CD of Knoppix for diagnosis.
As a matter of diagnosis has come up, I think Open Suse has greater Diagnosis tool. It's YaST diagnosis tool is very handy during MBR mess ups. Is there any such tool in Ubuntu or any other distro?

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
OK guys, finally Ubuntu installation done. It's really looking nice. I have successfully configured internet access to mobile GPRS using data cable. Built-in update manager is cool. Now it's in the process of downloading and installing 36 updates. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom