Folder.htt:Is It A Virus??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi
i am using windows 98 and evrytime i open a folder this silly pop up come up saying internet explorer script erro...It has some mention of Folder.htt....What is it?Is It a virus??My McaAfee Coulndt detect it???Niethier cud Spybot

saROMan

QA Juggler
yap..its sure is a Virus called W32.Readloaf.A ......
what u can do is ...go to command prompt...by typing command in run box ....then type edit ...file ..open ...c\d\e : what ever is ur root drive ie
c:\windows\system\kernel.dll now u see lot of weard words in it...except last 2/3 lines..starting with Exacute ....delete these lines ..thus the script will not execute every time.....then uncheck the dont show hidden files in Folder options ..and search for folder.htt and desktop.ini ...after search is complete Delete all the files ..restart ..u r done ...for extra precaution update ur antivirus ..and scan ur comp ....

imprince

Journeyman
i'll tell u what i did with folder.htt.. and desktop.ini virus ..
just install norton antivirus and update it ........it will detect dis virus and will also remove it ............

2nd install System Mechanic and add Folder.htt and Desktop.ini .....
in files option u want to remove ...........it will also remove these from ur computer..........

Norton is BEST :idea:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Trend Micro, the makers of PC-cillin, call that virus VBS_REDLOF, and there are A, B and other variants. It's notorious for infecting html files.

PC-cillin will clean or quarantine all infected files, but the virus activation code will stay hidden in your system registry and will load again on startup unless you get rid of it from there.

You can download Trendmicro System Cleaner (TSC) from Trend Micro's website. It's a companion of PC-cillin but works as a standalone. Just click the TSC.exe and it will flush VBS_REDLOF out of your system registry.

No anti-virus software is perfect but PC-cillin is my favourite. Even an old copy will stop VBS_REDLOF. They also provide a free online scanning of your computer.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
All the antivirus programs will try to quatrentine your HTML/ASP/VBS etc files and later delete them:

I had written a program to clean the virus from your html files without loosing any data. All of my friends circle has been using it for 2 years. If anyone wants it then just drop me a PM.

Saharika

In the zone
last time most of the people were saying
kaspersky do a good job for it so i gave a try it worked and i think that folder.htt it self is not a virus
its vbs.redlof.A virus a vb script virus attached to folder.htt and desktop.ini

every AV claims that it can cure ,but i have not got best result if the AV is not a registered version...like trial or some small...

and some body here suggested that we get infected by it because of our unpatched word software.
but i have not still found out which patch we have to download.

Redof also some times infects html files which can be manually deleted (some vb codes from html codes) which i think works fine.
but i really think that folder.htt has been discussed ,many time here.
tks
saha

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
well i manually searched for all files named folder.htt and deleted all of them....The error msgs have stopped but my quest for a stable antivirus is still on......I am not sure if an free one like Avast! can handle such viruses ....
Also looking for a All in one system optimizer....like system mechanic.....freeware is better.....warna expenditure again(sigh!)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
amanwannalearn said:
The error msgs have stopped but my quest for a stable antivirus is still on......

You yourself are the best Antivirus. Just take care while opening a program setup file.... And while browsing internet.... And while sharing Floppies and CDs... and while opening an email attachment... and while .........

hell... what a sick life... why dont people use Linux ?

kl_ravi

Journeyman
Include kjwall.gif in the list of files to be deleted. Because, it will change the default stationary in your outlook express and mail itself to all the recipients in the address book. :)

Also ensure "Don't save encrypted pages to disk" option is turned on in the internet explorer. :)

Also, I have a doubt.

Without reinstalling windows, how to get back the Web contents in folders ?

wraj

Random Scribbler !
buddy if u dont want to follow all those drudgeries then their is a simple workaround...go to panda antivirus website and download the utility called PQREMOVE..it shall fix all ur problems...n yes read all the instruction followed

indrajit

Journeyman
According to Microsoft corporation Folder.htt doesn't always signify a virus. Check this link...

*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;181689

And, btw, this has been discussed before. Try here.

Download Stinger and do a full system scan. This should detect if there's any major worm in your system.

cheetah

In the zone
I prefer u to download the Redlof remover.Search for it on google.

I tried removing redlof using Norton 2002 but it was not properly removed so i use the redlog remover program coded in VB.I prefer you the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom