FM Antenna Problem

Techguy

In the zone
This might seem a bit funny, but I have an old FM Stereo Speaker set which mysteriously stopped receiving fm broadcasts.

So, there are 2 jacks at the back:
45 ohm antenna
Ground

I got a really long insulated wire (just a simple stranded wire). The problem is all the set picks up is just a loud buzzing sound. For a second it picked up a signal, but then it went back to buzzing. I can confirm I receive FM signals in the area as it works perfectly with my mp3 player.

So: How / Should I build an antenna? Will sticking the antenna wire out of the window do?

Whats the ground connection for? I read its for the shield of a coaxial cable.. somewhere else it was a terminal for another wire which is supposed to be in another direction ??

Help please

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am sure an FM stereo, or "a special gadget just to play FM" is kind of old for today's generation especially here at TDF. So don't think we could be of much help. But still I would like you to fix your stereo.

First of all if the stereo just stopped playing music and instead gives static, then there's a high chance of something going wrong inside. Why not try to play it going in an open field and/or terrace to see if its a signal problem?

Also, even basic models of phone today have FM radio. Why not upgrade yourself to some newer tech, atleast to justify your nick? :p

OP
T

Techguy

In the zone
Yeah, I have a newer audio system , lol, . It was just that I had found this old system.. I guess the system works okay because when fiddlin around with the wiresI got a clear signal for a somall period.. The only thing now is to figure out where to connect the wires.,... and how

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Maybe if you post a pic we can figure that out for you.
There must be a small metallic contact on the top of the stereo, where an antenna is supposed to be connected.

OP
T

Techguy

In the zone
There are 2 clip slots : One for ground and on for the "antenna". Clip meaning its a spring loaded slot.. you just have to press it on one said to let the wire loose.

Top Bottom