Fixing No Sound Bug on Dell Inspiron 1520 in Ubuntu Gutsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Though it’s been a while since Gutsy was released, I couldn’t try out for various reasons. But finally I got my hands on Gutsy DVD edition, and I sat about installing it on my Dell Inspiron. I noticed first signs of trouble when Gutsy was taking unsually long to boot up. Switching to verbose mode, I knew something wrong when I saw
hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout
Initially I thought it was a problem with the live environment, however when install was done, my fears were confirmed. Indeed, Ubuntu wasn’t able to play any sound. This was a bit surprising since openSUSE 10.3 detected all of my hardware flawlessly(even more weirder was that Kubuntu Feisty had no problems with the sound!)
A bit of Googling and I found there are few solutions to this problem, which is because of ALSA. Apparently version lower than 1.0.15 has bugs and problems especially with Intel HDA codecs. So let’s see some solutions:

Solution 1:

The most common solotion given was to open up terminal and type
sudo apt-get install module-assistant
sudo m-a update
sudo m-a prepare
sudo m-a a-i alsa

However I couldn’t try this, since I didn't have an active net connection.
Solution 2:

Another solution is to obtain ALSA-1.0.15 and compile it from sources, as indicated below
sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
sudo apt-get install patch
w get ftp : // ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2 (remove the spaces after ftp and the colon, and in between w and get)
tar xvpjf alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2
cd alsa-driver-1.0.15
./configure –with-cards=hda-intel,emu10k1
make
sudo make install

Again, lack of an active internet connection prevented me from testing this out. Then I came across solution 3, which was easiest of the lot.
Solution 3:

Here, open the terminal and type
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-generic
This works great! If you want to obtain the packages from the DVD use aptitude instead of apt-get, ie
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-generic

Source: My blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom