Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Videoconferencing on the iPhone Now Working, Wins Iron Coder's First Prize

*img128.imageshack.us/img128/138/wootiphone2aa4.jpg​

It looks like videoconferencing is now working on the iPhone using the Wi-Fi connection and its built-in camera. Ken and Greg Aspeslagh claim that they created the application at the C-4 Developer Conference's Iron Coder Live this weekend, winning first prize. As you can see in the gallery, the hack also involved a strange peripheral: a periscope.

I have to say that I didn't expect this one at all because the iPhone's camera is obviously looking in the wrong direction for videoconferencing, but the Aspeslaghs converted one of the devices they already sell through their company, called the Huckleberry Mirror, into an iPhone stand. And indeed, it works great even while the device they are using is too big to be practical.

Read more...

*img527.imageshack.us/img527/4562/lightsofffortheappleiphdf9.png​

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iPhone double header: First native IM client AND first native IRC released

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/08/buddylist.png

Big news today on the iPhone development front. This morning brings the release of both a native instant messaging client and a native IRC client.

Apollo IM just entered Version Negative 1, an early beta release. It is available as well via Installer.app. Apollo IM has been developed by "Arminius" and offers iPhone-native instant messaging capabilities. Future releases will support file transfer as well as MSN/Yahoo/Jabber/Gtalk support. Read more...

[Via The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)]

Install applications on your iPhone without hacking

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/08/apptappinstaller.jpg

Good news everybody! Have you wanted to try out all those great-sounding third-party iPhone applications? Did the hacking part of it put you off? NullRiver has released a simple iPhone GUI installer for Mac OS X.

Download the latest version of AppTapp installer to your Mac and then dock your iPhone, quit iTunes, and launch the program. The software downloads a copy of the latest Apple Firmware; you choose whether you're using Firmware 1.0.0, 1.0.1 or 1.0.2. It takes a few minutes to download the files from Apple using a good connection and then the software copies some files to your iPhone. When finished, your iPhone restarts and the Installer app appears on your iPhone home screen. The Installer application gives you access to nearly every third party application that has thus far been released by iPhone developers. I tested the entire install procedure on my G4 Mac and it worked flawlessly. Read more...

[Via The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)]

Basically, the iPhone now allows native third party applications. God, I want it! :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
the iphone always allowed third party applications but a baldy that goes by the name of steve jobs didnt want it to be USP which our in-house salesman has made into 1 .... going against the ruler eh arya ... :lol:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iFuntastic v3 Released: You now have permission to go nuts

The moment you've all been waiting for has finally arrived. iFuntastic version 3 is here, and chock full of new features. Of course, the biggest feature request of all has been fulfilled - support for PowerPC processors. It also includes a real file browser which allows installing apps, uploading NES ROMs, and other miscellaneous files. But that's just the beginning.

One of the most important new features in v3 is "Unshackling". No longer will you have to un-jail and re-jail your iPhone for every modifiaction. Once you unshackle, you're free to make any modifications you please while simultaneously maintaining iTunes' ability to access the phone. Very sweet. Read more...

[Via iPhone Alley]

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
isnt it rather surprising to see arya jumping like monkey all around posting news about softwares that legally shouldnt exist for the iphone

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
@ iMav

2 reasons

1) He has nothing else to post

2) He has realised that we were right with lack of feature support in iPhone which makes iPhone an iUseless.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Scrolling iPhone dock smashes through 16-icon home screen limit

The iPhone home screen doesn't scroll. This 16-application limit is just a reality most users have come to accept. Third party developers have turned to launcher apps that search for additional applications and let you choose one from a list. Today, Nate True introduced an iPhone mod that smashes these launchers into yesterday's news.

True's Dock package loads your entire application collection into a single usable list that appears directly on your homescreen. Just use a finger to scroll the bottom row of icons left or right and tap the application you want to launch. Read more...

[Via The Unofficial Apple weblog (TUAW)]

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I wonder why Arya is supporting hacks & cracks for the iPhone when according to him "Apple makes the choices for us, we just use it".

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
well, u see as we (the ppl) have come to make our own choices now.... it will be getting better and better.... and thtz the way we all want it to be going right ?? :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yeah...thats the way we want it, but thats not how Apple lets us users work. If Jobs think a transparent Apple Menu in Leopard is good, then there is no way to disable it, not even a hack will work as Leopard took away support for InputManagers

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@rock the god: if u say that ur not a true mac boy ... ur a sensible customer who wants his product to work as he wants and not how a communist monopolistic baldy wants it to ;)

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Ok let jobs do wat he wants and let us do wat we want as long as there is a peaceful co-acceptance :D.... the hacker community is always eager to help us in this case.... always forget about "communist monopolistic baldy" when we have the "manpower" to scr*w him down... :D...

Let them make their revolutionary products and there will be a peaceful co-acceptance until they cease to incorporate at least a dot flexibility for us and our "manpower" to wield the products to our needs.... :)

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
@gx saurav
dude stop . its not a debate club here each and every iphone page u just have to go against the iphone dude cant u do something else rather than badmouthing the iphone, if u dont want dont get it jeesh

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Install Third-Party Applications on Your iPhone

*lifehacker.com/assets/resources/2007/09/iphone-apps-head.jpg​

In less than two-months time, a persistent and merry band of iPhone hackers have been pushing out application after killer application for the iPhone, and hacking your iPhone to install those applications has become dead simple. Today I'll show you how to download, install, and manage third-party software on your iPhone, and I'll highlight a few of the best available right now.

The Best iPhone Apps

Before you go through any of this work, you probably want to see what kind of third-party software is available. Check out the gallery below for a look at some of the best apps currently available. Read more...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^^ Now we are talking.

But to get all these applications in iPhone you have to void the warranty. When u take your phone to Apple for battery replacement they might not take it back cos u have voided the warranty.

So, I have to void the warranty of iPhone to use features which should have been there since day 1

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, you don't. Software hacks don't void your warranty. Stop your lame gibberish.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iPhone GPS Hack Works and is Awesome

iPhone GPS Hack Works and is Awesome

*gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/09/gpsunknown.png​

Whoa, the iPhone just got GPS. Well, assisted GPS, but still, It actually works. This morning, the Navizon GPS app showed up in Installer.app. After creating a username and login (get this: email NOT required), the free app started up, taking about 30 seconds to find my location by measuring the delay between nearby cell towers and using their known locations to pinpoint where I am. Then it pushes your coordinates, by latitude and longitude, to many, many, many decimal places of degrees, to the map application.

Kind of. It's off by a few hundred yards, but this is a lot better than the total lack of location awareness that the iPhone officially enjoys. And its FREE. It also claims Wi-Fi positioning, which I don't completely understand. A caveat: It crashed Chen's phone, but it worked great for me. And this is only version 1.0, but maybe the real question is why wasn't this functionality built into the iPhone to begin with? Go Navizon!

[Via Gizmodo]

JesusPhone™! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.