Firewall for windows 7

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I do not know how would you like to use your system but I have never felt requirement of a firewall. Avast web shield takes care of that.
But to answer your question, may I suggest ZoneAlarm Firewall free version...

OP
achtung

achtung

Broken In
Gagan, Many thanks for answering this.
Actually my system is used heavily for movie downloading from net..
for last 4 years it has been observed some attacks are happening silently.. for that I had kaspersky and sygate but that time I used have the XP pro as my OS... Now I have shifted to Windows 7.. so I got this compatibility issue for both Kaspersky and sygate.. so want a forewall or online shield which will watch my system's back ... :)

OP
achtung

achtung

Broken In
wow thats a real good news..!!!
Many thanks Deb...
I'll keep the windows firewall on .. and does it creates any problem of genuine notification balloon if I keep the windows update option on??

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I have tried using Windows firewall, but it made the downloading little slower...maybe just for me...but still I will avoid using that.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
can try Comodo + Avast combo. works fine for me. if you visit mobile sites, attack is common. just remember to modify "Defense + Settings" under the Defense+ tab. than you won't be disturbed lot.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
ZoneAlarm is decent. Really strong. I removed it, cause it blocked 'everything'. Try it.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ everything means? updates, downloads, etc?

BTW, whats difference between P41, P43 & P45 chipset?

Ya it had to be repeatedly told what to allow. It even blocks chat messages on yahoo chat, if the sender is not on your buddy list...!

I guess the above answered your question about chipsets..!

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
What kind of attacks people talk about...I do not get it...I have been using internet for past 9-10 years and I used ZoneAlarm initially too. Later I felt that it didn't make any difference.

Now I visit all kind of hacking related sites and pr0n and whatever it is out there...my PC is never infected by any virus whatsoever...I think having a decent AV like Avast is good enough. I am not an expert but this is my experience till date.

OP
achtung

achtung

Broken In
What kind of attacks people talk about...I do not get it...I have been using internet for past 9-10 years and I used ZoneAlarm initially too. Later I felt that it didn't make any difference.

Now I visit all kind of hacking related sites and pr0n and whatever it is out there...my PC is never infected by any virus whatsoever...I think having a decent AV like Avast is good enough. I am not an expert but this is my experience till date.

I also to some extent agree with gagan in this.. for the last one year I have used KIS 2009.. and it worked very good.. never got an infection ..only one problem - the autorun.inf prob, it could not resolve.. apart from this .. I have never faced any threats from internet.. but its license has expired and I did not find it in the stores.. now the newer version has come that is 2010 which is not so good i heard from the users..:sad: I am planning to use avast+comodo combi now :smile:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
that's wise decision. Please post if you get to experience any shift in download/browsing speed...If it Comodo doesn't slow down the packets I will start using it too :)

Top Bottom