Finalized this spec for the time being (suggestions/corrections pls)

nice_kid

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Not a serious gamer occasionally though, this set-up will be used for Server2012R2/VMWare/Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator/CorelDraw/VisualStudio/ChemBioOffice (a teensy bit overclocking)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: About the same I've spent o this one ~80K (Excluding a graphics card and HDD, I have them in pipeline in a month or two)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: YES (nothing insane but moderate)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Server 2012 R2/Windows 8.1 Pro With WMC (Dual Boot)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Only SSD for OS and Apps (planning to re use an old 500+500GB WDC green drive for data in RAID)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: 23 IN, IPS Panel, Full HD (must)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Don't want Keyboard/Mouse/ODD. I'll add a HDD & Graphics Card later

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Just ordered, but then again u can always cancel and re-book an updated component.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: First timer, 'll do it my self. (have a couple of friends that i can turn to if i screw up :p)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: BLR (hate SP Road with vendors trying to sell you what they have, they also seem to take every opportunity to rip you off your money) FK/Amazon just fine or any others with COD and more importantly reliability; would be better if its sold/fulfilled by them and not some third party.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I've just booked (literally a couple of min back) the following items from online stores.

CORSAIR HXi HX750i 750W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
Rs. 13,700.00 (I'm presuming this baby can handle a really good GPU or two)

Samsung 850 Pro-Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive Single Unit Version MZ-7KE256BW
Rs. 13,999.00

Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1866C10 Vengeance 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
Rs. 5,999.00 (I'll add another stick sometime soon)

MSI Z97 MPower Motherboard
Rs. 15,900 (wasn't sure about MSI but i've seen the Gaming 3 Z97 board and looked and performs decent at a friends place) (Shipped already? from FK)

Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat Transparent Side Panel Mid Tower Cabinet
Rs. 5,959 (Shipped already? from FK)

HP 23 inch LED Backlit LCD - 23fi IPS Monitor
Rs. 12,120

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
Rs. ????? (I'm yet to order this, thought i'd pay SP Road a visit tomorrow and ask around for a deal or just to know my options, I'm open for considering the Core i5 4690K.
Also for the time being it'll run on stock cooler (yeah!) but 'll put H100i later before cranking up those voltages.

Yes, its missing a dedicated graphics option as i'm considering to add one along with a 2TB HDD for data sometime in say two/three/four months later.

Any comments regarding the chosen config is welcome. Did i opt badly? or some of them have bad reviews or could be better? Please do let me know.

P.S. Time sensitive as they(FK/Amazon) seem to deliver well before their ETA.

update: Received the HP Monitor, MPower MB, RAM, SSD & PSU* remaining items are still in transit. I will put the pics at once when i receive them all. Also, the cabinet from FK seemed to be stuck at some place for while, cancelled it and went for the Corsair 300R Windowed Edition (brought it locally). Paid an advance for 4790K, 'll pick it up tomorrow.

All Set, Everything in place. Now to assemble.

*This one comes with the 13 Amp UK variant plug (have an adapter for that but still would have been easier if it came with the Indian variant: Can somebody tell me if a regular 6 Amp chord work with the PSU without damaging?)

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
more corea/hyperthreaded cores the better especially you mentioned about vmware and other cpu intensive apps. so choose i7. the chosen components are good. but i seriously think you could get all those cheaper locally.

OP
N

nice_kid

Broken In
[MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] phew! Thanks for your input. I was worried I chose wrongly (the config part)
The reason I went for online orders was because of their 30 days replacement policy. My last local purchase from SP road died within a week and the store refused any sort of exchange & asked me to claim warranty. Also these days lots of overpricing (unless u r a hardcore bargainer!) I did ask for Hx750i- it wasn't available locally (its the only item I'm buying from a different seller online: Primeabgb)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
[MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] phew! Thanks for your input. I was worried I chose wrongly (the config part)
The reason I went for online orders was because of their 30 days replacement policy. My last local purchase from SP road died within a week and the store refused any sort of exchange & asked me to claim warranty. Also these days lots of overpricing (unless u r a hardcore bargainer!) I did ask for Hx750i- it wasn't available locally (its the only item I'm buying from a different seller online: Primeabgb)

hx750i is relatively a new unit, so availability could be a problem in most of the shops. and considering its premium price, i doubt many would keep it.

OP
N

nice_kid

Broken In
I believe these new units (HX750i & the lot) are the ones which are Intel Haswell processor Ready. Really had a tough time deciding between that and the AX850 (the older gen) both roughly costs the same but 850 only has 80+ Gold ratings while these new ones are 80+ Platinum rated (some times i really wonder there really isn't much of practical significance of those ratings anyway :p)

Received MB & Monitor. Pics 'll have to wait as my Lumia 830's camera broke with only two days of flipkart's 30 day replacement period remaining :( requested them for a refund (I'd have really preferred a replacement but its not in stock with WS_Retail)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I believe these new units (HX750i & the lot) are the ones which are Intel Haswell processor Ready. Really had a tough time deciding between that and the AX850 (the older gen) both roughly costs the same but 850 only has 80+ Gold ratings while these new ones are 80+ Platinum rated (some times i really wonder there really isn't much of practical significance of those ratings anyway :p)

Received MB & Monitor. Pics 'll have to wait as my Lumia 830's camera broke with only two days of flipkart's 30 day replacement period remaining :( requested them for a refund (I'd have really preferred a replacement but its not in stock with WS_Retail)

the significance is really visible on the pricing. :p :D

Only in rigs consuming > 800 W of power. In those cases you need 800 W plus some more wattage that will go away in heat. So a 100 W 85% efficient PSU will give only 850 W. If the same PSU would have been 95% efficient it would give 950 W. So efficiency does matter but only in high wattage PSU's.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
CORSAIR HXi HX750i 750W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
Rs. 13,700.00 (I'm presuming this baby can handle a really good GPU or two)

Samsung 850 Pro-Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive Single Unit Version MZ-7KE256BW
Rs. 13,999.00

Rs. 5,999.00 (I'll add another stick sometime soon)

Rs. 15,900 (wasn't sure about MSI but i've seen the Gaming 3 Z97 board and looked and performs decent at a friends place) (Shipped already? from FK)

Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat Transparent Side Panel Mid Tower Cabinet
Rs. 5,959 (Shipped already? from FK)

Rs. 12,120

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)

Good Config up there but you could have bought a cheaper Mobo & PSU so that you can go with Samsung 840 EVO 500GB or 1TB SSD instead. But so far good config as you have already ordered the above items.

OP
N

nice_kid

Broken In
the significance is really visible on the pricing.

Don't ever let my mom hear abt the price part :p My previous desktop (HP Pavilion 1020in) got burnt after a several years period. The reason was the PSU apparently. So went for something that did seem pricey but a couple of reviews online were extremely positive.

[MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] hmmm, I don't intend to stress my PSU that much, so would a RM650 or RM550 (or something similar) suffice as they were 80+ Gold ones? As long as didn't tax them with heavy power consuming parts?

[MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION] Ya, did consider that option. But the 840 EVO series seemed to perform inconsistently w.r.t to R/W speeds (as some reviews/comments elsewhere said).

Also, had a couple of WD Drives lying around I thought I'd put them to use for data i.e. Deciding the MB was a tough cookie, was very keen on getting that GENE VII (available no where!) or something from the ASUS stables.

OP
N

nice_kid

Broken In
@rijinpk1 Yup, received it already. But this one has a 13 Amp UK variant power plug with no adapter. (I do remember there must be an adapter somewhere at my place, that came with my APC UPS).
Will that suffice, i.e. to connect it to the wall socket that supplies domestic 5-10 Amp power? Or can just use the regular 6 Amp power cable that i already have?

@rijinpk1 Yup, received it already. But this one has a 13 Amp UK variant power plug with no adapter. (I do remember there must be an adapter somewhere at my place, that came with my APC UPS).
Will that suffice, i.e. to connect it to the wall socket that supplies domestic 5-10 Amp power? Or can just use the regular 6 Amp power cable that i already have?

The cable that came with the PSU is fine. Just use a pin convertor.

OP
N

nice_kid

Broken In
this might be a real noob que, but is ESD that a big deal? If so, is it fine if i assemble everything on a concrete flooring? Or should I go for one of those (fancy?) ESD Wrist Straps?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Only in rigs consuming > 800 W of power. In those cases you need 800 W plus some more wattage that will go away in heat. So a 100 W 85% efficient PSU will give only 850 W. If the same PSU would have been 95% efficient it would give 950 W. So efficiency does matter but only in high wattage PSU's.

this is not efficiency.
efficiency = output/input, i.e., how much ac power it will consume to give rated output.
a 1000w psu will give 1000w regardless of efficiency. 85% one will consume more power from wall than 95% one.

OP
N

nice_kid

Broken In
Okay, here's everything so far.

My final config:
1). CORSAIR HX750i 750W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
2).
3).
4).
5).
6).
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)*
7).
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed Black ATX Mid Tower Case

Paired with (old stuff re-used)
8). Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 KB/MS combo
9). WD Green 500x2 HDD (SATA 3Gbps)
10). ASUS - DSL AC68U Modem/Router
11). WD My Passport 1 TB Portable Drive
12). Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 Over-Ear Headphones

To-Do (sometime later in the coming months)
13). Liquid cooling
14). Graphics Card
15). 2TB HDD
16). BD RW/DVD RW Combo Drive
17). +8GB RAM

*paid advance, 'll collect it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Okay, here's everything so far.

My final config:
1). CORSAIR HX750i 750W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
2).
3).
4).
5).
6).
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)*
7).
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed Black ATX Mid Tower Case

Paired with (old stuff re-used)
8). Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 KB/MS combo
9). WD Green 500x2 HDD (SATA 3Gbps)
10). ASUS - DSL AC68U Modem/Router
11). WD My Passport 1 TB Portable Drive
12). Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 Over-Ear Headphones

To-Do (sometime later in the coming months)
13). Liquid cooling
14). Graphics Card
15). 2TB HDD
16). BD RW/DVD RW Combo Drive
17). +8GB RAM

*paid advance, 'll collect it tomorrow.

Good to go. Great config there :thumbs:

Top Bottom