Files missing after NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahratla

Journeyman
I've have a Cyrix III 667MHz PC with 40GB HD, 256MD SDRAM using WinXP. And I've three FAT32 partions, C, D and E. I converted them into NTFS format. And now some of my files in D drive are gone. How do I recover them? I installed PC Inspector File Recovery 3.0 but don't know how to use it.

Tech&ME

Banned
How did u only loose the file in the D: drive in the first place, converting to NTFS does not loose your files (as per Microsoft) Even I converted the system and other partitions to NTFS in my com but it worked out correctly. What else did u do immediately before and after converting ? Please let u know. Then may be we can help!

theraven

Technomancer
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9502&highlight=data+recovery
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9262&highlight=data+recovery
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8083&highlight=data+recovery
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6561&highlight=data+recovery

ull find quite a few more if u search carefully
spinrite is better anyways

after installin the software u must let it scan the disk for any recoverable files
the system should be quite easy ...after u get a list of files select them and use the recover option !
should be simple enuff
u can also check the users manual on their homepage
*www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/manual.htm

OP
lahratla

lahratla

Journeyman
Was it bcoz of formatting or zippping/unziiping and them?

Before formatting, I've zipped some folders in drive D and moved it to drive C and I've also backed-up another folders to drive E. Then I deleted the original folders/files after zipping/backing up. After formatting, I unzipped but files were not in their original sub-folders. Actually there were no folders. So, I deleted them. I also restored the backed-up ones but some of them could not be restored. After this, I run System Restore but only the folders and not the files in them were restored. I've lost important pagemaker files, image and video files. I've also run PC Inspector but only the folders and not their contents could be restored. Please help.

Tech&ME

Banned
hey man (lahratla) you were saying u converted your D: drive to NTFS and now u r saying u formatted it ? Man converting and formatting is not the same thing. Anyways, it seems your problem is somewhere else, your zipping program is not working correctly, btw. zipping a Video file what do u get ? U should have used good zipping software and it could also be that u were not able to zip the files correctly. Did u supplied the correct path to the files / folders that u wanted to zip to the software ??[/quote]

swatkat

Technomancer
Re: Was it bcoz of formatting or zippping/unziiping and them?

lahratla said:
After formatting, I unzipped but files were not in their original sub-folders. Actually there were no folders.
Assuming ur using WinZip,If u want to have the original folder structure,u have to "Check" the option which says "Use Folder Names".This creates the original subfolders/folder, else it dumps all files in one folder.
*img113.exs.cx/img113/5102/winzip1fn.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom