File spoofing in P2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatkat

Technomancer
A new technology/method is being used to curb the piracy of music/movies taking place through P2P networks/clients.it's called FILE SPOOFING.

it's a technique in which, a P2P network is continuously monitored and it is filled with dummy files with same attributes-such as Name,Tag,IDv3 info etc- so that user finds it hard to search and differentiate the original and dummy files.if the user downloads these dummy files thinking that they are the required music/movie file,and then play in his computer,he will only hear some Noise,Recursive Clips,Trailors etc.That's the content of these dummy files :lol:

One of the company involved in this,in order to curb piracy,is OverPeer.Even though thier Website doesnt give much info about their services,CEO Marc Morganstern says:-
Overpeer intervenes on behalf of our clients to protect their content from piracy on P2P networks. And, in certain cases, we also may help them build relationships with potential customers who happen to be on the P2P site

Overpeer protects literally thousands and thousands of titles of multiple content types right now for various clients.

Spoofing at this macro level involves a lot of effort,to consistently spoof the P2P network,some 10000 dummy files (for 1 original file) are needed,so that user find it hard to browse through a vast pool of results.

So,if u want to download Vertigo from U2 now from a P2P,be prepared to get a LOT of results,look out for their size too :wink:

Read more:-
*www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,63384,00.html?tw=wn_story_related
*www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,57112,00.html
*www.overpeer.com/index.asp

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

damn ..
u shud be banned for posting this ..
cant live without p2p :)

[coincidence]i downloaded vertigo from p2p few days ago .. not only audio but video too[/coincidence]

-----
alibi

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Ya I downloaded Vertigo from yourmp3.net and it was a zip file still guessing the password of that file :(( ....................................

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
djmykey said:
Ya I downloaded Vertigo from yourmp3.net and it was a zip file still guessing the password of that file :(( .
there are thousands of softwares for getting password of a zip file..
just do a google on 'zip password recovery' .. u'll get all u want

but of course, i must warn ..
a password locked zip file is one of the best sources for all kinds of viruses, trojans, worms, etc etc

-----
alibi

GameAddict

In the zone
There is an option of fake Check/Report in EMUle

Hi,

The solution (albeit not a perfect one) is to do a Fake Check of the file.Also eMule servers constantly update thier list of fakes (Fakes.rar).

And if you find a fake file, you can also report it.

BTW, fake check is done through file hashes, so if a file is labelled fake, you can be sure that it is fake ;)

This method works with files which are a bit older.

Bye!

GA

gamefreak14

Journeyman
How do I find out if the file I'm downloading is fake?
1. Simply copy the file being downloaded to another location, "fix" it with winRAR and check the contents.
2. Same goes for songs too. Simply listen to the file as it is being d/led. Another hint - if the file is being d/ld ridiculously fast. Say a 5MB mp3 injust 10mins, you know something is wrong somewhere.
3. And last but not the least, never use P2P in the first place, there are loads and loads of sites out there, with FTP links.
So OverPeer CEO , Mr.Marc Morganstern,
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/avatars/125539779841a61ed4b1dd1.gif. Sorry jeba, but your avatar says it best!! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom