File sharing permission for limited account

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
I am using Windows XP Pro on my network.
I dont want users to have installation rights etc .
So i ve created limited accounts for all the users.
But the problem is that users dont have file sharing rights and i want
the limited accounts to have file sharing rights.
I tried changing the group to power user group but the problem persists.
So hpw do i go about giving only file sharing rights to all the limited user accounts.
Any solution?

Thanx in advance.

AMIT

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
To enable configuring access for File Sharing, what you need to do is go the Windows 2000 way. First, disable Simple File Sharing from Tools>Folder Options>View.

Then you can use the Windows 2000 style Permissions box to assign file sharing. However, first make sure you go to gpedit.msc and then into Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Policies>Security Options and make sure the "Network Access: Sharing and Security Model for Local Accounts" is set to "Classic-Local Users Authenticate As Themselves" and also, if you're not on a Domain, open gpedit.msc, right click Local Computer Policy, select Properties and then check "Disable Computer Configuration Settings" and "Disable User Configuration Settings" and then see what happens.

Because the traditional model is that once you turn off Simple File Sharing, then unless you've got an overriding GPO on a domain, all users will have access to Sharing when they right click a folder and select Properties>Sharing. A screenshot of the problem you are facing would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom