Few questions on HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

raksrules

Youngling
Hi all,
I have few questions on HTPC. Many of them may be very nOOb as i am very much new to this (i mean HTPC stuff)

1. What is HTPC ? I just know it means Home Theater Personal Computer
2. Is it different from a normal computer ?
3. Can an HTPC have HDMI port(s) to view HD content on big LCD TVs ?
4. What are the main components of a HTPC ?
5. Build a HTPC ? or Buy a HTPC (do you get those readymade ?) ?
6. How much does it cost ?
7. What things to take care of if building one ?
8. What OS is preferable if i want to go with an HTPC ?
9. In which issue(s) of Digit / Chip can i find some more information on HTPCs to enlighten myself?

Thanks in Advance :D

Bandu

Journeyman
1. Can also be called a Media Center PC, if you like. Main purpose is to connect it to your living room TV and stream media to your TV.
2. Nothing different, but something more than a normal PC. Depends on how you build it. Most desired ones have wireless keyboard / mouse.
3. It can have HDMI. Yet another desired feature to have Full HD capability. But you can also do away with Component or DIV.
4. PC and depending on your location, a TV Tuner card.
5. Build it, preferably. There are ones available (Eee box, I think). Something similar to HTPCs are MVix, TVICO, etc. But to have a true HTPC, your only option is to build it as the manufactured ones might not have TV Tuners specific to your country.
6. Depends on what components go into it, but definitely less than any Gaming PC. An AMD and 780g based graphics solution is ideal.
7. Should be low power. Fanless, if possible. Silent.
8. Haven't worked with Linux or other distros, but Windows Vista Home Premium is my choice.
9. Dunno. Don't get Digit here :( Maybe someone from India can answer this.

I don't find the thread anymore, but look for choto cheeta has a good article here: *www.chotocheeta.com/2008/07/28/cheap-solution-to-convert-your-ordinary-pc-to-a-media-center-pc/

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
One more question, how will i get 5.1 surround sound output, I mean, will i have to connect a 5.1 speaker system to my LCD TV or to the machine. I do not plan to have a TV Tuner card as of now because there are chances we my move to any of the Dish TVs (Tata sky, airtel etc).

Bandu

Journeyman
I guess it can be done both ways - depends on your TV. The most convenient way, though, is to use the PC soundcard or onboard audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom