Fedora Core 5 Test 1 is available now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Fedora Core 5 test 1 release is available now.

Test releases are not meant for End Users. Install test releases only if you want to test for bugs and contribute to the community. Do not install test releases for a normal usage. They may contain several bugs and security threats

Users are recommended to use the torrent and keep it running for others to share. The torrent file as well as instructions on using the torrent is available from the following webpage.

*torrent.fedoraproject.org/

If using a torrent is not possible due to firewall restricitons on your network, download from below

*download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/4.90/i386/iso/

Major new features include the following

* Modular X.org
* Vastly improved Asian language input support with SCIM
* Kernel based on 2.6.15-rc1-git3
* GCC 4.0.2
* GNOME 2.12
* KDE 3.4.92
* Xen 3.0 snapshot for i386
* Improved Open Source Java including
gcj, classpath, tomcat, jonas, eclipse, and much more
* 1600+ Extras packages conveniently available via yum
* Major installer changes to use yum for package handling
* Pup! - Brand new software updater that replaces rhn-applet

Latest release notes
*fedora.redhat.com/docs/relea...est1-latest-en/

(Whats new in Fedora Core 4 should actually be Fedora Core 5 test 1. Ignore that. The page will be updated shortly)

Known issues

*fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Test1CommonProblems

The DVD Images are not available for this test release. Anaconda in this release uses the yum package manager backend and DVD support infrastructure was not added in time for the release. Subsequent test releases and the final version will feature a much improved version. Inconveniences regretted.

The release schedule for Fedora Core 5 is available from

*fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

Proposed features is available from the Road Map

*fedoraproject.org/wiki/RoadMap

This is a test release and is provided for developers and testers to participate and provide feedback. It is not meant for end users in production systems.

Subscribe to the fedora-test and fedora-devel mailings lists to keep track of important changes in the current development versions and provide feedback to the developers.

*fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate

Fedora Project requests you to file bug reports and enhancements to provide a improved final release to end users. For more information on this, refer to the following document:

*fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsAndFeatureRequests

You can provide general feedback on this release to the fedora-test list.

NOTE: Fedora Projects now has a ongoing survey for community feedback on Fedora.

*www.redhat.com/archives/fed...r/msg00319.html

Satissh S

Youngling
Are you d/ling it Riyaz. I can't afford to d/l that big. Any ways my friend gave me RHEL4 and i'm using it. It's Fantastic to say the least but is it legal to use it? :roll: :? Iam using yum as i can't use up2date in their redhat network.

praka123

left this forum longback
with RHEL4 u can get one month free support if u register with rhn.i too use rhel4AS as i wanto prepare for RHCE.....

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Satissh S said:
Are you d/ling it Riyaz. I can't afford to d/l that big. Any ways my friend gave me RHEL4 and i'm using it. It's Fantastic to say the least but is it legal to use it? :roll: :? Iam using yum as i can't use up2date in their redhat network.

Ya i'll be downloading it within a couple of days. I'm one of their beta testers. I'll publish a review once i finish download and install.

Using a shared RHEL 4 is perfectly legal. GPL allows one to share the software. The thing is that you wont get any support from RH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom