Fedora Core 5 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi
I recently installed FC 5 on my system . I am new to Linux and i dont know hot to mount my other windows partitons (NTFS) on it . Can anyone help me.

BTW , which player should i need to install to play mp3 , dvd , avi etc .

Sykora

I see right through you.
To view ntfs files, you need to upgrade your kernel. Go to *ntfs-linux.com/ and find the download relevant to your system. Then install, and reboot.

For mp3s, try amarok, or mplayer. Mplayer can do video as well.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Mako read Stanton Finley Notes *stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

OP
M

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi
I downloaded the rpm of Mplayer and tried to install it but i got a failed dependencies error . Can anyone tell me how to install it .

mehulved

Did you try installing via yum or PIRUT? They will handle dependancies. Also read Stanton Finley Notes on FC5. It's link has been given many times in the forum.

Venom

Journeyman
If its FC5, all's got to head over to the Stanton notes, its full newb and advanced friendly :]

OP
M

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
I tried the yum tutorial given on Stanton notes . But when i am unable to update it due to my poor net connection . Is there any other way .

mehulved

Other way is manually downloading dependancies. You will see all the dependancies in the error message. The download size will remain the same in this case too.

dabster

In the zone
@mako_123:
Download the source package and compile it....That's the best method of installing mplayer....
I did it for my friend few days back...And it works great...Also download the essential codecs for it...

Sykora

I see right through you.
I disagree. The best way of installing it is always to go through package management. Doing it through yum is the best way.

OP
M

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi Guys , i managed to install Mplayer and mounted the partitions in the mnt folder. Now ho do i make them to apper in my computer like drives in windows .

2) I can read from the ntfs drives but cannot write to it from linux . how do i do it .
3) I created a user account from myself , but still i dont have all the privileges and still says "You are not the owner "
4) is there a software like "IPMessenger" for Fedora .

mehulved

2) You need ntfs-static of ntfs-3g. But, still the writing support on NTFS in linux isn't stable. Using ntfs-static it takes ages to write to ntfs partition.
3)What are you trying to access or when do you get that error message?
4) Search for it in the forums. I do remember it being discussed sometike back.

OP
M

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
@tech your future
When i try to copy paste something in a drive i am unable to do so . And sometimes even unable to set permissions .

And one more thing , my Totem movie player cant play any file because of some decoder issue , what should i install . And i tried installing gstreamer codecs but got dependencies error again .

Venom

Journeyman
You cant write to an NTFS drive, and you cant change permission as a user if the file belongs to some other user! [unless its enabled to be modified by all groups]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom