Fedora Core 4 installation help.............................

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i already have windows XP installed ....

i wanna install Fedora Core 4 in my system frm Digit DVD ....

there are 4 ISOs given ...
whats the installation procedure after i burn the CDs ?
can i install without burning the CDs ?

plz help .....

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Boot using the first CD, follow the installation steps.
It'll automatically ask for other CDs during installation (depending upon how many packages hv u selected).

U can create Bootable floppy with the help of utility given in the CD, then boot from it and select Install from Hard Disk option and give the path of the partition where ISO images r stored. But its a little bit tricky.

So u can try the first method.

ujjwal

Padawan
If you want to install Fedora without buring the CD, check this guide -

*www.thinkdigit.com/howto

Its for Redhat 9, but should work similiarly for fedora.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks for the info guys ...
once upon a time i had installed SuSe 9.1 Personal ....
after installing while booting my PC it gave me an option as to boot WINDOWS or SUSE ...

will i get the same here also in case of Fedora Core 4?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yes u will get that option. Just keep a watch when u get the boot loader installation screen.
Dont worry the install is very informative. You will understand everything!

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
and btw how much space is needed for Fedora Core 4 .... setup itself is 4.5 GB !! how much space for the OS ?? :(

kalpik

Depends... from around 1.5GB to 7.5 GB, depending on what all u install!

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
sorry for the repeated posts ... i m having many doubts :(

can i compile C and C++ and C graphics programs in Fedora Core 4 ...

what about Java ?? J2EE ??? JSP ???

kalpik

Everything IS available on fedore core 4! Choose full install if u r not sure!

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
this is the procedure given at
*www.thinkdigit.com/howto to install linux without burning it in a CD....

1. Copy the three Red Hat images (rh1.iso, rh2.iso, rh3.iso) onto your Windows partition.

2. Extract the 'dosutils' directory from rh1.iso to the Windows partition using any ISO image extraction utility such as UltraISO (www.ultraiso.com), WinISO (www.winiso.com), ISO Buster (www.isobuster.com), WinRAR (www.rarlab.com/).

3. Next, boot into the MS-DOS mode (screenshot 1), and run the autoboot.bat file from the extracted dosutils directory. This batch file contains a 'loadlin' command that redirects to the initrd.img in the dosutils/autoboot directory. To boot into MS-DOS mode in Windows 98, go to Start > 'Shut Down...' and select 'Restart in MS-DOS mode' in the dialog box that comes up.
Since you cannot boot into true DOS mode in Windows XP, you need to create an MS-DOS bootable floppy. To do so, insert a blank floppy into the floppy drive, right-click and select 'Format...'. In the dialog box that appears, select the 'Create an MS-DOS startup disk' checkbox before formatting.

4. After booting into MS-DOS mode, go to the dosutils directory (using the 'cd' command) and type 'autoboot.bat' at the command prompt. (screenshot 2)

5. This brings up the text-based install of Red Hat Linux.

6. Start by choosing ‘English’ as the installation language and a ‘us’ keyboard type. Next, select ‘Hard drive’ as the installation media (screenshot 3). The next most important step is to specify the location of the directory storing the ISO images. Select the partition listed in the standard Linux format (/dev/hdaX). The simplest method is to copy the images onto the C: drive, since this is normally listed as /dev/hda1. Assign the path to the directory containing the ISO images after selecting the partition. For example, if the ISOs are in the 'C:\images' directory, name it as 'images' after selecting /dev/hda1. (screenshot 4)

7. The rest of the installation steps are similar to those in the graphical installation of Red Hat Linux 9.

i have done step 1 ...

now i find that there is no 'dosutils' directory anywhere ... now what to do?? i dont want to burn 4 CDs .....

and sud i extract the 4 ISOs using winRAR while installing frm HDD or sud i keep them as ISOs itself ??

ujjwal

Padawan
Allright, first it would be better if you verify that the 1st cd's layout is this, as that is what I am assuming.

Download loadlin.exe.gz from ftp://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/pub/linux/loadlin-1.6/update-1.6c/

Create a folder, say C:\isolinux

From the installation CD, extract the files vmlinuz and initrd.img (from the isolinux directory) into the newly created directory (remember, they must all be located in the same folder).

Extract loadlin.exe from the .gz file (WinRAR should do the trick) and place loadlin.exe file into the same folder, now boot into DOS.

CD to the director you created (cd isolinux), and run the command -

Code:
loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img

Continue from step 5 of the redhat 9 instructions.

ujjwal

Padawan
By the way if that command works, but seems to create the odd problem, add ramdisk_size=8192 to the end of the loadlin statement. I also request the moderators to move this thread to the open source section, as iinfi would get better help there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom