Fear About Overcharging Of Battery....!!!

ankit.kumar010203

Journeyman
NAGPUR: A 12-year-old boy lost his right eye while playing with his father's China-made mobile, which exploded while it was being charged. The incident took place on Thursday at Seoni village in Yavatmal district. The boy, Mayur, suffered chemical burns on his eyes, hands and lips. The explosion has completely ruptured his right retina, making it improbable that he would regain vision in that eye.

Mayur's father Subhash Raut rushed him to a nearby hospital and then to a government hospital in Yavatmal, from where he was shifted to Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) in Nagpur late on Thursday night.

"We immediately performed a surgery to prevent the infection from spreading to the brain. Unfortunately, we could not do anything to
save Mayur's right eye," said Dr Rahul Dangwar, associate professor in the ophthalmology department of GMCH, who attended to Mayur under the supervision of Dr Dilip Kumre. Mayur's left eye has not been affected by the explosion, he added.

"This is the second case of this kind we have dealt with. The other was reported last year. In both cases, the cellphones were cheap, China-made models. Those buying such phones should be cautious not to overcharge the batteries, and should leave them alone when they are charging," said Dr Ashok Madan, head of ophthalmology department at GMCH.

A student of class VI, Mayur has done well in studies throughout. His teachers and family are now worried about how this will affect his life. "Other children from the village are now being kept away from mobile phones," said a villager who had accompanied the Rauts to Nagpur.

Subhash Raut, who is a farmworker, is now afraid of using mobile phones. "I would ask all parents to be very cautious with electronic devices, especially while children are around. They must avoid the situation where children treat mobile phones like toys," he said.

So Sad..I am In Class 8 And I Also Keep Charger Plugin in My Lapi All The Time When My Lapi Is On....!!! And I Plugout My Lapi Charger When The Battery Full But I Always Start My Laptop With The Plug On even After Battery Is Full Charged ...Is Their Any Rescue?Should I Start My Laptop With Battery And After Shut Down I Plugin For Recharge?My Laptop's Brand Is HP.....!!!
And Should I Cancel My Iberry Auxus Ax03g Which I am Going To Buy??It's Brand Is IBERRY(Not Confirmed About The Tab Is Chinese Set or Indian)...!!!!:-(

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
So sad to hear that.
Let us hope and pray that these types of incidents won't happen anymore.
Anyway Buy only branded products from companies like nokia,sony,samsung,lg etc.
Cheap quality tablets will not last longer or will explode before you would expect it to expire. So it is not recommented to buy that tablet. Anyway it's your choice.
Dont overcharge your lapotop. That is the precaution you should take care of. It is not necessary that laptop should start with charger plugged in. If there is no charge, you should plugin the charger. If lap is in full charge, it is not necessary to start with charger unless you are not gaming.
Iberry auxus has a thread already created here. Check that also.

audiophilic

Journeyman
Be careful bro. I remember i bought a dell laptop long ago which caught fire because of overcharging its battery. Those things can be death traps! So be careful to not overcharge

Gauravs90

geek........
Dont overcharge your lapotop. That is the precaution you should take care of.

A laptop cannot be overcharged. They come with auto power cut.

It is not necessary that laptop should start with charger plugged in. If there is no charge, you should plugin the charger. If lap is in full charge, it is not necessary to start with charger unless you are not gaming.

You should run your laptop once on battery in three days to maximize the battery life and this is recommended by apple for their macbooks. But if one always runs his laptop on battery, this will only degrade the life of battery faster.

Be careful bro. I remember i bought a dell laptop long ago which caught fire because of overcharging its battery. Those things can be death traps! So be careful to not overcharge

When you brought this laptop?

RBX

In the zone
A laptop cannot be overcharged. They come with auto power cut.

You should run your laptop once on battery in three days to maximize the battery life and this is recommended by apple for their macbooks. But if one always runs his laptop on battery, this will only degrade the life of battery faster.

I was hoping for both these answers to show up. I read somewhere, and only once, that Battery should be used once in three weeks, and if it is to be stored, the charge level should be 40%.

What my friends do is, start using battery as soon as it is full, they also recommend using up whole battery before recharging. I have told them many times that all they are doing is battery re-calibration, but they don't seem to get it.

*answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100222195118AAhJyEc

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Overcharging! That too in branded electronics, too rare. Till the time you are using genuine accessories, it's very rare that you end up overcharging or exploding, your phone or laptop's battery. Each and every battery manufacturer, for good manufacturers do include mechanisms, built into the batteries to eliminate risks of overcharging, leakage, etc. Ever wondered why most branded cellphone batteries come with 3 connecting terminals, when two are sufficient? The third one serves as a probe to check the level of battery charge. Most of our new gadgets stop charging the battery, to eliminate risks of overcharge, and maximize battery life. The same cannot be said for the unbranded chinese batteries/products.
As far as the myth of discharging the batteries once a while to increase the battery life is concerned, it's a total myth as far as the lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are concerned. Most of them including Dell and HP do not recommend discharging the battery too frequently.

*www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/batteries_sitelet/en/batteries_faq?c=us&l=en&cs=19#faq7

*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00821429

Last edited:

Zak

Right off the assembly line
I don't think there would be any problem with branded products, as many of you have said they come with automatic power cut-off.
And, yes chinese handsets should not be used. Well, they come very cheap and a really loud speaker.......they should not be bought. Who knows, you might have to pay the 'price' later!

tkin

Back to school!!
There are no such thing as overcharging, as long as you stay away from cheap no brands chinese stuffs.

OP
ankit.kumar010203

ankit.kumar010203

Journeyman
I don't think there would be any problem with branded products, as many of you have said they come with automatic power cut-off.
And, yes chinese handsets should not be used. Well, they come very cheap and a really loud speaker.......they should not be bought. Who knows, you might have to pay the 'price' later!

Yes ZAK You Are Absolutely RIGHT....!!!!:):)

Top Bottom