Extra USB ports needed

bubusam13

Human
Hi Guys, I am actually compelled to ask here after searching a lot in vain. I have 4 USB ports at back which are already occupied. At front I have to compromise with just 2 ports while I need a lot to connect.
My motherboard have 3 USB headers in of which 1 is used for the front 2 USB ports and as such I have 2 unused headers. I need 2 more USB ports. Can I find some USB bays to do the same.
I got this but it cost too much SilverStone FP32B Aluminum 3.5-Inch Drive Bay with USB X 4 E1394 (Black)-TGP | eBay
Second option is this 3.5" INTERNAL CARD READER MICRO SD & USB SUPPORT FOR PC | eBay
But this have only 1 USB port. I need 2 at least.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
get this.it has its own power adapter so no problem of low/insufficient power.
Belkin 4 Port USB Powered Hub - www.deltapage.com

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
Well if there are unused headers then you can simply use them to extend the number of USB ports.

That's what I am asking. I need USB bay or something to connect to the headers. Something like this SilverStone FP32B Aluminum 3.5-Inch Drive Bay with USB X 4 E1394 (Black)-TGP | eBay

get this.it has its own power adapter so no problem of low/insufficient power.
Belkin 4 Port USB Powered Hub - www.deltapage.com

PLEASE donot suggest USB hub because many equipments donot work in USB hub. I want USB ports to connect to the header.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^you didn't read clearly.i am well aware that many devices don't work properly with usb hubs because of insufficient power issue & that is why i recommended a usb hub with its own external power.if you want usb header then either buy a 3.5" drive bay with usb or pci usb card.
pci usb card | eBay

edit:just to be clear a usb port has max current rating of 500mA(0.5A) so 4 ports at full load will consume (4*0.5=2A).the belkin power adapter provides 2.5A enough for all 4 ports at maximum load so if any device is not working correctly with such hub then either it is an issue with device or the device connected requires very high bandwidth(which are not many).

Last edited:
OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
^^you didn't read clearly.i am well aware that many devices don't work properly with usb hubs because of insufficient power issue & that is why i recommended a usb hub with its own external power.if you want usb header then either buy a 3.5" drive bay with usb or pci usb card.
pci usb card | eBay

edit:just to be clear a usb port has max current rating of 500mA(0.5A) so 4 ports at full load will consume (4*0.5=2A).the belkin power adapter provides 2.5A enough for all 4 ports at maximum load so if any device is not working correctly with such hub then either it is an issue with device or the device connected requires very high bandwidth(which are not many).

No Its no the power issue. Connecting my Nikon camera to a hub even says Unsupported device. I am going to connect data card, my SE phone, external HDDs and camera.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
have you tried it with a powered hub like belkin(not the usual one with no power adapter)?anyway if you are going to use so many power hungry devices simultaneously then only choice is pci card.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Just use a PCI USB Card as whitestar has suggested above. It'll use a PCI slot at the back of your cabinet, and you'll probably get around 4 more usb ports. An ebay link to a similar cheap PCI USB Card.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
Hi I found a solution. But can someone buy this for me. I dont have a credit card :(. I will pay some extra cash also.

3.5" 2-Port USB 2.0 Internal All-in-1 Card Reader - Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
but this is still a card reader, an internal one that uses a regular 3.5 inch bay commonly used for the floppy drives in the yesteryears
you can find cheaper options like this from transcend, zebronics etc. for around 400-500 bucks, and other cheaper ones for even less.

Top Bottom