External HDD throws message This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that mig

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have a Western Digital 2 TB External HDD. After I copy content into the HDD and try to eject it I always get this message:
"This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again."
I ensure that the device is not in use but still I get this message.

Any ideas?

49 Views and not even a single reply?
Come on guys please help me.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Re: External HDD throws message This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that

Guys will appreciate help on this!

Flash

Lost in speed
Re: External HDD throws message This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that

That's a common error message, when we get while trying to disconnect the USB sometimes.
Sometimes, the opened items from HDD won't really close and it won't be shown to us, unless we check for anomalies in 'Task manager'.

I guess, that's happening in your case too.

sksundram

In the zone

it might be that your antivirus/antimalware/antispyware is set to scan your external hdd whenever it is inserted...that could be a possible reason for the error....unselect it from antivirus menu...you can also try to remove the drivers (from device manager)>>restart your pc>>then insert your hdd...let its drivers be installed automatically...hope it solves your problem..

Last edited:

gadg3tfr3ak

Right off the assembly line

There may be some program or background service that may be accessing the drive hence the OS is not able to eject it. This is an issue faced by many people including me.
Use Unlocker from Empty Loops to check which program is accessing your drive
  1. Download and install the program (its freeware). Unlocker site
  2. Open Explorer and right click on your external usb drive letter and in the context menu select "Unlocker". If UAC is enabled then allow it run with elevated priveleges.
  3. If a program/service is accessing the drive and has locked it, then the Unlocker window will show the process name, path being accessed, Process Id and Process path.
  4. You have 3 choices: Unlock All, Unlock and Kill process. Select Unlock All and you will be able to eject the drive
  5. If no program/service is accessing the drive it will show a message "No locking handle found"
If you have partitioned the external drive you might have to do this for all the drive letters and check.
If you are still unable to eject the drive, then I'm not sure how to proceed. We will have to wait for guidance from others.
Hope this helps :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

can you try it on ubuntu?

gameranand

Living to Play

Possibility 1. Some process is actually using the drive
Possibility 2. PC is infected with virus.

For 1 use unlocker and for second scan the system and get rid of virus.

Top Bottom