Extending a primary partition !

sasha007

Broken In
Hi,

I want to extend my primary partition ( C) on which the OS is installed .
See below :

*i51.tinypic.com/vzd82w.jpg

When i try to extend C , extend volume option is grayed out .
As you can see i have a free contiguous space of 37 GB next to C .

What is the problem ??:confused:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, generally Extending Primary partition(Specially OS Partition) are not allowed from inside Windows. It incurs High Risk of Data loss.

Download EASEUS FREE Partition Manager Software. Free Partition Magic alternative for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008. Hard Drive partition software. and see if you can do it. If not, you can try creating partition on that free space and merge them together.

Otherwise, you may need to use some Live CD Partition Manager to perform this. In that case try GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Try Partition Assistant Home edition (free version).
Download FREE AOMEI Partition Assistant - Partition Manager for managing disk partition.

Here I've uploaded a video for resizing C: using Partition Assistant, about 1MB. Download and watch it. :)

Video1.wmv​

Watch it in players other than WMP (VLC prefered). Video doesn't look good in WMP...
PS - Hope some day I'll also get the HD space you're having :p

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I think, OP can't extend the C: partition, since the partition which is to be added is a part of Logical Drive.
Maybe he can transfer all data to the 1TB hard drive (Disk 1), and re partition all the drives accordingly on Disk 0.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
I think, OP can't extend the C: partition, since the partition which is to be added is a part of Logical Drive.

I don't think so. Even all my partitions are logical. Still I'm able to resize my partitions using Partition Assistant. See the video I uploaded in my prev. post.

sygeek

Technomancer
OP has continous space available after the primary partition, so I guess he probably should be able to resize the partition. Also, try using GParted..

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
He can try that.

He can free space from E;F or extend from the 32.26GB unallocated.

AFAIK he can't do that. He can only allocate space to C: by shrinking the next drive, which is the free space. The disk management is not allowing him to doso because C: is the system drive. So if he uses tools like easeus or Partition Assistant then he can do it. When I resize my C: using Partition Assistant, it asks me to reboot and then before Windows loads it does the resizing and then it again reboots and then my C: is easily and safely resized. I've tried it.

Last edited:

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
Isnt there somthing like you can only make 3 partitions on one hdd?
Because i could only make (C) , (D) , (E)

BTW What does the "Mark Partition as Active" feature do?

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
oh. How to make 5 partitions on one?
Is there any need?
How will it help?

I marked drive C Active. How will it help/ not help.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Is there any need?
How will it help?
No. It does not help much. 3 is good. It's just that about four years back when I gave my PC for formatting the guy made 5 partitions and gave me. So I've kept them. But seriously there's no use keeping 5 partitions on a mere 80GB drive!

Here is your answer - Mark Partition As Active

Last edited:

lalam

In the zone
It's really risky doing this since you might end up losing data or your OS could get corrupted. To re-install is much more secure than doing this according to i.
Anyways you can only extend your C drive if you shrink the one right next to it, which usually is D.
In your case i think you should just right click on the green block and delete it, then you should be able to extend C.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
It's really risky doing this since you might end up losing data or your OS could get corrupted. To re-install is much more secure than doing this according to i.
Anyways you can only extend your C drive if you shrink the one right next to it, which usually is D.
In your case i think you should just right click on the green block and delete it, then you should be able to extend C.

No it is not risky at all. Why are we all here scaring the OP. It is much better to do this then a full re-install.

sygeek

Technomancer
:sigh: The green block is the Unallocated space located just after the primary partition (which means, it is possible to extend the primary logical partition). Either the OP can try the softwares above or if he wants to be extra careful then he can try running GParted LiveCD.

doomgiver

Warframe
Is there any need?
How will it help?

there are 2 types of partitions, primary and logical.
you can have :
1. 4 primary
2. 3 primary, 1 extended

extended partition can have ANY number of partitions inside it, these are called logical partitions, and they can only exist inside an extended partition.

currently, i have 3 primary and 4 logical partitions on my hdd, so its not very hard or tough or scary.

if you want to have more partitions, use GPARTED

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/139435-boot-problem.html#post1381647
^ i think this will help

Using Parted Magic an Introduction
^parted magic live cd.... very good software which integrates gparted, follow the instructions here.

*dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/pmagic-4.5.iso
^ parted magic .iso. burn or make a bootable usb.

Top Bottom