Excessive packet dissemination by the server jamming network

Status
Not open for further replies.

yelkawar

Right off the assembly line
I have a network of 4 computers which includes a server(data) and three clients. I am using this setup for data entry. I have developed software for this purpose by engaging an agency. This being tailor made software I have had to buy an ActiveX control which is an essential part in the software. As the cost of this control is prohibitively high and is available per machine basis, I decided to use remote desktop for the clients.
There after I install my software on the server. My team uses all machines including server for data entry. Now my all the clients accesses the software using remote desktop. As a part of work, my team has to access the net for gathering the data which is again stored on the server. Thus the server is used for all activities my team and is crucial to me.
A month back, I started using BSNL Broad band for internet access. To simplify the things I simply configured the switch and provided internet connections to all clients and the server. A month latter to my amusement I found that the broadband bill was of Rs. 6000/- with total download/upload of about 5.5 GB in 15 days for a period of 3 hrs per day. Shocked, I started investigations. I found that the server was disseminating packets rapidly.
To resolve this issue I first scanned my all machines with eTrust Antivirus after updation of virus signatures. No virus was found. To put some restriction on this unauthorized dissemination, I configured one Linux machine as a firewall and proxy server with the help of my friends. Now my broadband bill is reduced, but, I am facing different problem i.e. my network has become very slow. The server is still disseminating the packets rapidly clogging the network. Now I am finding difficult to access other machines and is not able to print through the shared printer. Kindly help with some solutions

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Did you configure Remote desktop to use the lowest bandwidth possible, this may make it look sluggish. but saves a lot of bandwidth. Also in firewall, block all ports except that of http,ftp,and any other critical application's port. Block icmp traffic on internet connection, and you can also configure the firewall on the lan connection, to prevent unnecessory traffic - but it need more expertise, since many special ports needed to be open and some other ports be blocked.

OP
Y

yelkawar

Right off the assembly line
My problem cannot be solved in this way. It is necessary to know the reason. If it is a worm or Trojan, how to detect.

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Did you have any antivirus. You must have the server vertion of some antivirus software. Antivir is recommented by me. Bitdifender and kaspersky and McAfee are good competitors. It is more than necessory for any server connecting to internet. Do a virus scan and remove the trojans. Also firewall setting can be configured to block any trojan activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom