Everything O.K. except sound in openSUSE-12.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Hi guys,after a tedious tinkering with the UEFI BIOS of my new GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 (socketAM3+/socket AM3) motherboard I could install openSUSE-12.3(64-bit) successfully :-D besides Windows 7 PRO.(64-bit).
I also Thank many of our TDF Friends,who have given their valuable support + advice on regard to the tuning of the BIOS,without whose suggestions,I couldn't have reached till this state.

ONLY A PROBLEM :--->

The sound refuses to play in the normal standard user settings of openSUSE-12.3.Within the root/su settings of desktop it is playing.
Downloaded and installed "alsa" drivers,without any glitch.

The "Built-In Audio Analog Stereo" is in shaded state inside : Phonon-KDE Control Module--->Sound and Video Configuration--->Device Preference:-x

How do I activate this module in the normal/standard user desktop of openSUSE-12.3?

Please Help Friends.

Theodre

In the zone
I dont know much about the opensuse distro, but why dont you try Fedora 19 and the Linux Mint? Am sure the proprietary drivers for your system will be pre-loaded in it :) If you are not too choosy...

And do specify the Desktop Envinronment you are using so that everyone can tell how to activate it....

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^I do have Linux Mint Installed,NO PROBLEMS.

I had problems with Fedora 19,so waiting for Fedora 20 to install onto my machine.

Desktop environment in which I am is KDE-4.6.2 under openSUSE.

Last edited:
OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Well located the problem and solved it from :---> *en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_troubleshooting
As root,

># speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav

If there is no sound from either test when using a konsole (or xterm) as a regular user, try as user root, i.e. type su and then try the test line. If you get sound with root permissions, but you got no sound as a regular user, then you probably have a permissions problem. See below in Step-6 for how to deal with that.

STEP-6: How to fix a permissions problem

In some cases user root will have sound, but a regular user will not have sound. Typically this is due to a permissions problem being experienced by the regular user. HAL/ConsoleKit/PolicyKit will automatically grant permission to the user by adding appropriate ACL entries on /dev/snd/* (and other device files) for local logins(you don't want users logging in remotely play sound on your box, really) — console, gdm, kdm. With one exception: xdm lacks PolicyKit support as of Xorg 7.4.

Given that HAL will do this in most common cases, adding yourself to the "audio" group should not be necessary under normal circumstances. If adding to the group is deemed necessary, it can be done with either:

YAST » Security and Users » User Management » “select your user” » Edit » Details » Groups » check “audio” and then click on “ACCEPT”

or run as root
> # usermod -a -G audio yourusername

if you are running openSUSE 12.3 or newer

THAT WAS THE PROBLEM I WAS FACING AS MENTIONED ON THE STARTING THREAD.

Thus , PROBLEM IS SOLVED.

[solved]

Requesting Mods. & Admins to close this thread as it has been deemed to be solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom