EU Commision to Microsoft : U R not allowed to make Vista Secure

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

This I read last night, & seems like a complete bull****, I mean, what is the problem with European Commission, now they are saying MS to remove all the security features out of Vista for Europe

*www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4137

Vista is a lot secure then XP, the kernel is completely locked, & now virus or anti-virus or any other app can attach to it, like it used to on XP, now only Vista has control over the kernel due to which many security vendors will have to re-write their 10% code, which MS has already given them long time ago

First it was Symantec suing MS, that they are making their OS secure, by locking out OS patching as they do with their software, now this....I was right when I said previously that MS will be sued to make their OS secure

Well, I guess MacOS & Linux also prohibit kernel patching, because of which malicious software or worms do not work, but no, that’s ok, cos they are just 5% of market share & nobody gives a damn....always go for the big money maker

Just my 2 cents

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
just goes to show what all billy g has to deal with and there are ppl here who think he has everything easy going

anandk

Distinguished Member
the eu is taking the view that such features are 'stiffling competition !!!

it should actually see if, in fact, it is in the end-users interest !

if it is (which it appears to be) that the eu decision can be construed as being biased and manipulated by vested interests....

damned if they (ms) dont make their os (xp) secure...damned if they make it (vista) secure !!! wtf !

sakumar79

Technomancer
I think I have the solution. MS should have European edition created with the lesser features (no firewall, etc.), release it late and charge extra for the additional work in making the OS less secure...

Will even Europeans buy it if given the choice between Regular and Premium?

Arun

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ thanx for the solution but thats one reason y u r here and billy g is where he is

OP
G

gxsaurav

this is taken from that dailytech page

If I was at MS I would do exactly what the EU is asking-BUT
I would call it/ name it VISTA(E.U.VERSION),with a warning in Bold letters highlighted,prominently displayed all over.
Namely the box,CD,in the OS itself.The warning goes as follows-

As per EU regulations/directives all new security features including the built it firewall,normally available on Vista
O.S have been removed.MS will not be RESPONSIBLE for any damages/loss incurred by the user/buyer of this O.S.
The buyer/user buys/uses the Vista at his own risk.
All claims for damages if any should be directed to the EU.
We MS are only following EU directives/regulations.

Such a warning will shift the Blame/responsibility on the EU
& will face the consequences of that.
I can assure you that the EU will give in to public pressure
& allow all what VISTA OS offers(full version).

Well said

anandk

Distinguished Member
the antivirus business has crossed 4 billion us$ in2005 ! no wonder the av cos are panicking...

anyway...Microsoft said on Thursday it was on track to launch its Windows Vista operating system in Europe in January but again asked the European Commission to detail concerns it may have with the system...
*news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6115572.html

anandk

Distinguished Member
theres more now :

Microsoft and its security rivals are feuding over a key piece of Windows Vista real estate : The Windows Security Center

The fight is over the display of technology that helps Vista owners manage the security tools on their PC. Symantec, McAfee, Check Point Software Technologies and other companies want Microsoft to change Vista so their products can easily replace the operating system's built-in Windows Security Center on the desktop. But Microsoft is resisting the call...

*news.com.com/Rivals+skirmish+with+...security/2100-7355_3-6117296.html?tag=nl.e757

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom