Ethernet port not working.

Amx227

Right off the assembly line
Hello , from a few days ago suddenly my laptop ethernet port is not detecting the ethernet cable, i have checked the device manager ethernet adapter settings there are no yellow/red markers and the drivers are also up to date.So how can i make the ethernet port working again.

itsakjt

Broken In
Does the Ethernet cable work on another computer? If yes, your LAN chip might have gone faulty probably due to a previous thunderstorm. First check the cable and report us.

Hrishi

1.Cable damaged.
2.Port on other end not functioning
3.Driver conflict

Will suggest you to try that cable on another setup.
Boot with safe mode and networking.

OP
A

Amx227

I have checked the ethernet cable on other pc, it is working fine, even if i use a different cable the laptop is still not detecting it in LAN connections.Also the ethernet adapter is not showing any errors.

itsakjt

Broken In
Just try reinstalling the drivers again and/or you can also try to check it with a live copy of Linux like Ubuntu. Also try changing operation mode to 10 Mbps half duplex, full duplex etc. And does the Ethernet LEDs glow when you plug the cable? If you can confirm all these, we can be fairly sure that there is a problem with the Ethernet chip.

OP
A

Amx227

The ethernet led green light doesn't glow when cable is connected to laptop, it is only enabled in wireless mode.How to reinstall drivers for ethernet adapter?

Last edited:

itsakjt

Broken In
Does the LEDs glow before Windows loads? That is in BIOS? If it does not, then we are sure that the chip is gone. In that case, claim warranty if the laptop is still under it or buy an USB LAN card.
As for re-installing drivers, search Google for "laptop model name" drivers and you should get appropriate links. Do let us know of you face any difficulties.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
my problem is a little different..

when i plug in ethernet cable it does not glows .. but when i disable and renable ethenet adapter the light glows for a second and then switches off ..

and when i slighlty push up the lan cable while holding it , it start working fine .. i think it has become a little looose whtas the remedy ?

itsakjt

Broken In
First of all check the connector of the cable. Also the contact points of your laptop LAN port might be corroded. Take some nail polish remover and clean the port. In the worst case, the port might have to be replaced. A local laptop repair shop would be of help then.

OP
A

Amx227

I have installed/re-installed the drivers ,still the ethernet port is not detecting the cable and displaying message (in windows network diagnostics) as "cable not connected".Can the ethernet port be easily repaired? Can anyone post what causes the ethernet port to malfunction?

Last edited:

itsakjt

Broken In
As I said, a thunderstorm is the worst enemy to an Ethernet chip. But since you told us that the cable is detected when you push up the cable, I would suspect loose connections. Either the port pins are corroded with oxides/pins damaged or the pins of the port has lost contacted with the motherboard soldering joints. Show the problem to a laptop repair technician and he/she should fix it in no time.
In your case, the Ethernet chip is very much alive and working since you mentioned that the cable is detected when you push it or such. So that is good news for you. :) Even at the worst case of ripped of solder joints, it should be cheap to get it repaired. :)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
As I said, a thunderstorm is the worst enemy to an Ethernet chip. But since you told us that the cable is detected when you push up the cable, I would suspect loose connections. Either the port pins are corroded with oxides/pins damaged or the pins of the port has lost contacted with the motherboard soldering joints. Show the problem to a laptop repair technician and he/she should fix it in no time.
In your case, the Ethernet chip is very much alive and working since you mentioned that the cable is detected when you push it or such. So that is good news for you. :) Even at the worst case of ripped of solder joints, it should be cheap to get it repaired. :)

+10, my previous PC's jack + my modem's jack got burnt in a single thunderstorm :lol:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
my Ethernet port pins were not uniform so i just used a needle and realigned the pins and it worked.. and no more loose connection now.. as good as new

many thanks to [MENTION=280353]itsakjt[/MENTION] for the guidance :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom