ethernet modem pls help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
hi,

i jut now changed my usb modem 2 an ethernet modem... and now i am not able 2 connect to any hubs in DC++ as an active user.. i specify the external IP in the ip column and the ports are not getting open. how do i do that? i mean how do i forward a port to an internal IP? i dont have hardware routers... its just a single port ethernet modem. for similar reasons.. i am getting low ID ( atleast i am able to connect) in emule... i am notable to connect even in DC++.. .pls help me.

/legolas

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Which ISP is yours ? and what mdoem do you have ? See the post "How to open ports" which was quite a lengthy discussion on the exact same thing you are looking for. I have also provided a solution in that see if it works for u.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
thanks. i ll see it. my ISP is touchtel bharti telecoms. and modem is BEETEL.

is that rigt? or u need some other info?

/legolas

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
icecoolz said:
Which ISP is yours ? and what mdoem do you have ? See the post "How to open ports" which was quite a lengthy discussion on the exact same thing you are looking for. I have also provided a solution in that see if it works for u.

hi i have the same ISp as ypours and i tried loading the page using my 192.168.1.1 and dint see anything relevant to port forwarding there.. is there available? pls help me with this.. as u might have faced this problem and resolved ... i have 128 kbps unlimited connx.

/legolas

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
legolas I have the same modem and faced the same problem as you. The problem with this modem is that even if you telnet to the modem and try to open ports it will not work. The only way to connect "directly" as such is to use PPP over Ethernet. I have given detailed instructions for that also. Please check it up and also the links for the necessary files are also present in the same post towards the last page. I do this at home and it works like a charm.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
icecoolz said:
legolas I have the same modem and faced the same problem as you. The problem with this modem is that even if you telnet to the modem and try to open ports it will not work. The only way to connect "directly" as such is to use PPP over Ethernet. I have given detailed instructions for that also. Please check it up and also the links for the necessary files are also present in the same post towards the last page. I do this at home and it works like a charm.

that is really cool.. but i have some doubts reg. this. actually what u have done? i read that and am in the verge of doing the same.. instead of connecting automatically we ll have 2 click and connect u mean? with that the problem will be solved? is this legal to do? :) and how abt the speed? is it still the smae? what is the difference bet what u did and they had(crappy one) is there any use of asking them reg. this?

thanks,

PS: the file for manual setup which u dl in rapid share is no more coz its deleted due to no dl for linger period. pls upload it again. or this is my mail id. trinity_168b@yahoo.com

/legolas

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
legolas said:
that is really cool.. but i have some doubts reg. this. actually what u have done? i read that and am in the verge of doing the same.. instead of connecting automatically we ll have 2 click and connect u mean? with that the problem will be solved? is this legal to do? :) and how abt the speed? is it still the smae? what is the difference bet what u did and they had(crappy one) is there any use of asking them reg. this?

thanks,

PS: the file for manual setup which u dl in rapid share is no more coz its deleted due to no dl for linger period. pls upload it again. or this is my mail id. trinity_168b@yahoo.com

/legolas

lol...loads of doubts eh ;) Will try and answer them all:

actually what u have done?

Its like combining dial up and LAN. As in I am dialing up into LAN. PPP is a protocol used on for dial up.

actually what u have done? i read that and am in the verge of doing the same.. instead of connecting automatically we ll have 2 click and connect u mean?

Yup. A dial up icon will come onto ur desktop and you will be connected instantly. Its like a direct dial up but on a 128 kbps line ;)

with that the problem will be solved?

Yup! I use emule, bittorrents and many others and my speeds are consistently aroun 14-16 kbps ;) And its absolutely legal. You are just combining two protocols to achieve what you want.

and how abt the speed? is it still the smae? what is the difference bet what u did and they had(crappy one) is there any use of asking them reg. this?

consistent speeds for me. No issues there too. No difference if you are downloading using http or ftp. Only problem is with P2P and other networks which need certain ports to be open. And since port forwarding seems to be impossible on Airtels modems this is the only way to achieve it. Oh and no point in wasting your time with airtel guys. They are quite decent in their knowledge but they wouldnt have a clue as to what ur doing. trust me on this ;)

Also this method has several advantages as compared to the USB modem. More free USB port. Also means I can use this on Linux without any issues what so ever.

I dont have the files with me at the mo. Will upload it later and send you the link mate.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
*rapidshare.de/files/1064895/airtel.pppoe.dialer.exe.html

theres the link for the files I mentioned earlier.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
hi icecool,

thanks for the link. i actually faced the same problem like urs in saving the configuration. they get erased wehn modem gets switched off. i called technical support center and they said abt "bridge mode" connx. which could be used 2 sort out this problem. but the thing is we couldnt connect 2 net from ay other computer connected 2 mine. so i hav eplaced a detailed mail on the problem and asking for any solutuon. if not i ll go for ur technique! :d thanks mate! :) and sure if i get a solution i llshare it!

/legolas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom