Erroneous tempertaure reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzz

Broken In
well i bought a new mother board and processor

motherboard MSI p45 Platinum
processor Q8200

now when i run speed fan ,core temp,everest (ultimate edn) i am getting temperature readings of 60+ C on idle. (also core temp detects my cpu as Q9series.)
however the msi utility that came along with the board shows me temperature reading of about 30-34
im confused.. which is the correct reading *www.overclock.net/images/smilies/confused.gif

also i overclocked the processor from 2.33 to 2.8ghz
running prime the load temp is hovering around 60-65 is this ok ? im using an after market cooler from cooler master\

oh 1 more thing, in the bios it show the temps coinciding with the msi utility
i also tried truetemp .. it gives the same results as all the other utilites

Last edited:

amitash

Intel OCer
download the latest version of core temp i think it should be reliable...65C on load is not a surprising thing for a quad...try reseatung with better thermal compund

tkin

Back to school!!
well i bought a new mother board and processor

motherboard MSI p45 Platinum
processor Q8200

now when i run speed fan ,core temp,everest (ultimate edn) i am getting temperature readings of 60+ C on idle. (also core temp detects my cpu as Q9series.)
however the msi utility that came along with the board shows me temperature reading of about 30-34
im confused.. which is the correct reading *www.overclock.net/images/smilies/confused.gif

also i overclocked the processor from 2.33 to 2.8ghz
running prime the load temp is hovering around 60-65 is this ok ? im using an after market cooler from cooler master\

oh 1 more thing, in the bios it show the temps coinciding with the msi utility
i also tried truetemp .. it gives the same results as all the other utilites
This software is the best, it shows the actual temps, *www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

OP
F

fuzzz

Broken In
well i have tried true temp.. even that is giving me the different temp..
im so freaked out.

@amitash
i have downloaded the latest softwares from the respective websites..
do you think that there might be a chance that all the softwares are reading the temp wrong? or could there be a chance that the msi utility has some modifiction to show temp -30 C :|

amitash

Intel OCer
^very tough to tell...If i were you i would reseat the heatsink and see if core temp temperatures decrease...dont risk your procy....even after reseating perfectly if temps are still high then i would assume MSI utility to be correct.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
yep, same occurred with P45 Platinum board too! Btw, whats ur board rev. ??
My C2Q Q6600 is O/C'd to 3.0Ghz. CoreTemp generally shows 55-56 degrees in average while, MSI utility shows ~45-47 degrees as CPU temp. May be something wrong with the sensors. However, temp readings are normal and equivalent when checked in BIOS or through Core Centre! Anyways, for the sake of goodness, i am gonna reseat the HS after applying AS5, once more. :D

OP
F

fuzzz

Broken In
oh yeah..!! i forgot about this thread..
mayank i found out what the deal is

see the temp shown in the msi utility are based on a analogue temp sensor placed somewhere near the cpu hence not so reliable..
how ever other cpu temp reading softwares like core temp etc they read the temp based on the digital sensors placed inside the cpu and hence more reliable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom