Equivalent of apt-get in fedora?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
I've been using ubuntu for many years now, and am quite familiar with apt-get for installing / upgrading packages. My university serves house mirrors of the repositories so by changing the source.list file, I can use those serves which save me from using my internet bandwidth to update / install.

Now I've recently installed Fedora 7 as well. I understand that there is no apt-get, but instead it uses yum. Now couple of things about this is troubling me

1. Each time I try to install a package (rpm), it tries to connect to the net to check for dependancies. If I'm not connected, it doens't install at all, citing that the servers could not be reached. The only way I can install packages are using the terminal, using the 'rpm -i' install method. How can I turn it off checking the internet each time? Why should I have to install using the terminal?

2. What is the equivalent of the sources.list file for repositories? How do I set it to download / check for packages and upgrades from my university servers the same way i do in Ubuntu? My uni serves are located at *mirror.curtin.edu.au/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/

Cheers

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
1) I don't remember the method so well but you have to make some changes in some files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory.
2) You would find the files under /etc/yum.repos.d/

See: -
*www.megalinux.net/archives/635.html
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/pirut-yum-manager-what-about-cdsdvd-428924/

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
ok in /etc/yum.repos.d/ i see a few .repo files. Can someone give me an example on how I would set my university mirror (see first post) as the repository for all packages?

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
I think you'll be better off doing it using GUI. First do

#yum install kyum

Then using Kyum add/remove repos, activate/deactivate repos, etc. Everything's self explainatory in Kyum. You might also want to try 'yumex', another GUI utility like kyum.

Oh and for the record, apt can also be installed here.

#yum install apt synaptic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom