Entry level workstation laptop (No gaming) in max 75k

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
4.The processor and graphics card is pretty great with the bottleneck here being the RAM which U can upgrade down the line, but it isn't listed on H.P's official website how much u can upgrade, and U can't believe the amazon page. So, I would like to know if someone knows till how much capacity the RAM is upgradable as we WILL upgrade the RAM down the line . If RAM is upgradable to say 32 gigs , I would suggest U to go for the gtx 1050 ti model, as its not much costly and ryzen 5 4600H is a pretty good processor. The SSD and HDD(7200RPM) are both 'good'.
Paying >50k for any laptop with 1050Ti in 2020 is a waste of money IMO, be it for any purpose. Did you mean 1650Ti?

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Oh, then I assume the extra price is just for ssd, or maybe 144hz?(@68K u get ryzen 5 4600h , gtx1050(non ti) , 1tb hdd & 256gb ssd)

Yes.
144Hz v/s 60Hz
1650Ti v/s 1650
I'm not sure if they've put in GDDR5 ram instead of GDDR6 in the 61 k model. But that seems too much work.
512GB SSD v/s 1TB HDD

@123hero bought that one at the correct time, IMO. I should also have bought it when it was available.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
I found the manual for my model here: *h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06638088.pdf

but when I search for ec1xxx series, this is the manual I get: *h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633
which has incorrect information, if it's supposed to be for ec1xxx series. I think they put the link mistakenly. If you post in the forums, I think this could be rectified.

123hero

In the zone
Thanks man.

Sorry, I didn't post earlier, I ordered Omen en0001ax yesterday evening.
I was torn between HP pavillion for 72k(the most appropriate priced model right now, since the 61k model isn't available) and Omen for 76k.
I don't have a system even for normal work right now. Only have access to home laptop(shared).
It was getting to my head. So, slept during the afternoon tomorrow, woke up to see only one available. Ordered it. .

Let's see how it fares when it arrives.
I really didn't care about refresh rates or color gamut as, I do have access to external monitor if I need that. Neither of the 4600h models currently available are good in this. So, I guess that's fine.

I'm still confused. I think I will be for the time being. But, I'm hoping the omen works fine. And the hinge issue isn't too much of a deal breaker.

BTW, thanks everyone (@whitestar_999, @123hero, @abhitruechamp, @omega44-xt, all) for suggestions and all. I hope my decision was correct.
I'll post a review when I get it (or Saturday)

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the purchase. Between the Pavilion at 72K and OMEN at 76K - It surely makes sense going for the OMEN.

123hero

In the zone
Oh, then I assume the extra price is just for ssd, or maybe 144hz?(@68K u get ryzen 5 4600h , gtx1050(non ti) , 1tb hdd & 256gb ssd)

The 60HZ screen is actually a decent pairing with GTX 1650/ 1650 TI since for getting 100+ FPS you would have to reduce the settings since 1650 isnt a top end GPU. However on the HP OMEN - there is a variant with 1660 TI - which makes sense for a 144Hz screen since 1660 Ti has better performance than 1650 Ti.

This is what I feel on the RYZEN 4600H series from HP (could be wrong also).
The base variants of Pavilion Gaming are being used as product anchor / attention grabbers towards the OMEN line up.

The base variant of Pavilion Gaming (HP ec-1021AX )was launched at a staggering INR 47999 - dunno whether anyone was able to buy it before it went OOS. The again re introduced after a long time at 59999, then at 60999 before going OOS again.

Most people arent able to buy the base variants since they go OOS within max 2 days after being in stock. So naturally they veer towards buying the next available laptops - which are sometimes ridiculously overpriced. For eg... HP Pavilion Gaming base variant went OOS and then they introduced the slightly better specced laptop (R5 4600H + GTX 1650 + 1 TB HDD 7200RPM + 256GB SSD) at 72999 - a whopping 12 k increase in price just for a SSD which hardly costs INR 5000.

With the Ryzen 5 4600H APU laptops - it has become the game of waiting and seizing the best opportunity. HP OMEN with its better thermals are the best bet and VFM if price isnt a constraint.

Other manufacturers have simply gone on mute. ASUS and Acer seem to have no plans on launching their RYZEN 5 APU laptops any time soon , ASUS did launch them but it wasnt available on stock for even for a month. Dell has the G5 with R5 4600H but that laptop is as good as DOSA TAWA since the internals are bad.

What is hurting is the fact that alternatives for the R5 4600H are priced way up, at least by 30-40%, so buying them doesnt really make sense unless you are an Intel fan-boy.

Regards

123hero

In the zone
Yeah, this one is real good @123hero was very lucky lol, it was unavailable when I was in the market too :/

Lucky isn't a word what I would use, since I was already overshooting by budget by 15K. :|

Further I had ordered the ASUS TUF 15 with the R5 4600H + 512 GB SSD at 59K , then it went OOS and had to haggle a bit to get my money back from Reliance digital. Not to mention the immense disappointment though.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
I'm so sure that in maybe month, lenovo legion 5 and acer nitro 5 will become available. And atleast I, if not all of us, would be thinking "had I waited a month...".
I liked the lenovo design so much. The port selection, port positioning, overall vibe of the device, keyboard, backlighting, thermals, build.
I've been researching AMD 4000 series based laptops since so long. But my old laptop just had to give in at this very moment somehow.
It might sound like I'm a lot Lenovo fanboy, but really, I'm not. I just really like this lineup. (Y5x0 series).

Its weird lol. I'm getting an HP, but still fantasizing about lenovo in my head

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Most people arent able to buy the base variants since they go OOS within max 2 days after being in stock. So naturally they veer towards buying the next available laptops - which are sometimes ridiculously overpriced. For eg... HP Pavilion Gaming base variant went OOS and then they introduced the slightly better specced laptop (R5 4600H + GTX 1650 + 1 TB HDD 7200RPM + 256GB SSD) at 72999 - a whopping 12 k increase in price just for a SSD which hardly costs INR 5000.
This was the exact variant I bought but it was for 68k , @72 k u get 1650ti.

Æsoteric Positron

Lucky isn't a word what I would use, since I was already overshooting by budget by 15K. :|

Further I had ordered the ASUS TUF 15 with the R5 4600H + 512 GB SSD at 59K , then it went OOS and had to haggle a bit to get my money back from Reliance digital. Not to mention the immense disappointment though.
What was the GPU model? I also wanted to buy ASUS TUF but it was OOS. I had also struggled to buy pavilion much, it was last in stock, and I didn't have access to the credit card in which the limit was more until 4hrs, so the payment kept on failing. At last when I was trying to fill the correct card details the product was auto cancelled (bcoz of time limit for payment expired) at the exact moment! Now in the amazon page it indicated the product will be back in stock @23 , but I could order the product then to get the product @1 sept. Desperate (the laptop was required ASAP) I ordered the laptop. It turned out the laptop reached me only one day later than the cancelled order :lol:.

123hero

In the zone
What was the GPU model? I also wanted to buy ASUS TUF but it was OOS. I had also struggled to buy pavilion much, it was last in stock, and I didn't have access to the credit card in which the limit was more until 4hrs, so the payment kept on failing. At last when I was trying to fill the correct card details the product was auto cancelled (bcoz of time limit for payment expired) at the exact moment! Now in the amazon page it indicated the product will be back in stock @23 , but I could order the product then to get the product @1 sept. Desperate (the laptop was required ASAP) I ordered the laptop. It turned out the laptop reached me only one day later than the cancelled order :lol:.

The ASUS TUF 15 base variant has the GTX 1650 4 GB DDR6 RAM. There are other ASUS variants available, I think, with the R5 4800HS APU and 1660TI but they are priced above 80K and has terrible thermal performance when compared to competition.

Æsoteric Positron

@123hero , how much battery life are you getting out of this thing? I don't think I get more than 3.5 hrs doing meets and youtube.

Also have u installed windows 2004 update yet?

Also I have a tip 4 u , when you do install ur ssd ,turn off indexing for ur ssd through windows explorer. My ssd throttled once and was @55 degree @ idle (only 1%ssd usage).. I did troubleshooting and @ last turned indexing off , the temp. dropped by 10 degrees whereas the usage was still 1%.
16.04.59-HWiNFO64 v6.30-4240 Sensor Status.png

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also I have a tip 4 u , when you do install ur ssd ,turn off indexing for ur ssd through windows explorer. My ssd throttled once and was @55 degree @ idle (only 1%ssd usage).. I did troubleshooting and @ last turned indexing off , the temp. dropped by 10 degrees whereas the usage was still 1%.
Try this "Everything" tool, you will probably never use windows search again.
*www.voidtools.com/

Top Bottom